Probably has been done to death - but. . .

episodicepisodic Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited August 21, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I've been using flickr for a while - I consider myself a 'lite' user. I'm just now running up against the 200 photo limit they have for the free accounts.

I'm ready to purchase a photosharing account. I know the price differences. I opened a 'basic' smugmug account, and I guess I'm impressed.

One thing I like about flickr is all the communities - etc. I'm enjoy submitting my photo for review, etc at various groups.

Given what I've said, can anyone give me alot more insite into smugmug? I found this from a friend on a board that told me about it and said I should check it out before I commit. . .

One thing, money is sorta a small issue. I know smugmug recently raised prices. Do they forsee raising prices again anytime soon? I'd hate to commit , then every year the prices go up and up and up . ..

THoughts?

Comments

• pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    Welcome to dgrin and to smugmug. You're in the right place as this site will probably give you the best idea as to what smugmug is capable of doing.

With regards to the subscription cost, I would doubt that there is any near term price increase planned. The last price increase was a long time in the making and those with existing accounts still pay the rate from when they signed up.

At first glance, some may think the subscription cost ($40 std, $60 pwr, $150 pro) is a lot, but it really is insignificant when compared to the value of my time after I take, process, caption and keyword my images. smugmug is feature rich and that makes it extremely easy for me to share the photos I take and THAT is what it really is all about.

and if you happen to need a referral link to save you a few bucks and me as well mwink.gifhttp://www.smugmug.com/?referrer=lspQZXj5xA7vg
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    episodic wrote:
    One thing I like about flickr is all the communities - etc. I'm enjoy submitting my photo for review, etc at various groups.
    Don't forget this then:
    http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30

and also:
    http://www.smugmug.com/community/

and http://www.smugmug.com/community/DailyPhotos
    One thing, money is sorta a small issue. I know smugmug recently raised prices. Do they forsee raising prices again anytime soon? I'd hate to commit , then every year the prices go up and up and up . ..

THoughts?
    Well of course there are no guarantees but, we announced we'd raise prices in April of 2005, finally did it in January of 2006. And even then, we Grandfathered everyone who was already with us, at the old prices. Don't know too many businesses that opererate in that fashion :D

wave.gif welcome to Dgrin, if you have any more questions, just holler :D
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    episodic wrote:
    One thing, money is sorta a small issue....
    best reasons for using smugmug:
    • view any size pics (small to original), lots of different ways (My #1)
    • no space limitation
    • cheap (try hosting your own site with unlimited disk space and GB's of download quota per month... for 40 bucks a year!)
    • Customizable
    • This forum
    Another thread on the benefits of Smugmug here

:D

click here to join (and save $5) thumb.gif
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 21, 2006
    Hey episodic,

Many thanks for giving SmugMug a try!

We know and respect Stuart and Katarina, Flickr's founders, and we have quite a lot of respect for the site itself and community.

One difference between us that I think is becoming ever more important is when they sold to Yahoo, innovation slowed. We've resisted all the buyout offers because we love it and believe we can serve customers better and innovate faster if we're independent.

All the best,
    Baldy