Anybody with a Canon 20D, 430EX and Lens that reports distance?

HeintjeHeintje Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited August 20, 2006 in Cameras
Can you try shooting with a diffuser on the flash and the flash head pointing straight forward? I need to confirm a problem that I am having with underexposed photos.

Comments

• Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    I do have both.
    Can I try to help ?
    75554972-M.jpg75680772-M.jpg
    Bounced flash !
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • HeintjeHeintje Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 20, 2006
    I do have both.
    Can I try to help ?

Bounced flash !

Do you have a lens that report distance? Try having the diffuser on your flash but keep it at 90 degree (pointing straight forward) and take a photo. Also, please set your custom function 14 to 0 - evaluative. By the way, please test in low light. Do you get a properly exposed photo? Thanks for your help.
    edited August 20, 2006
    Let me tell you that I no expert whatsoever.
    Here there are people who know far more than I do.
    I usually go ahead shoot, ask, don't care about mistakes like those I make when I write English...

I have been discussing about flash use at
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=33703
    and I suggest you read a bit about it and their links.

I found this
    http://www.planetneil.com/faq/flash-techniques.html
    to be very very useful.

Anyway let me tell you how I do in normal circustances.
    Normal circunstances is to shhot at day light or with little light where I want to fill with the flash.
    I shoot on P.
    Flash bounced.
    Like this:
    75017182-M.jpg
    position 3 is the one I use frequently. Better always. Consider the others just for the picture.
    http://antoniocorreia.smugmug.com/gallery/1740352/1/75017182
    to a better view

Don't forget to read both f... manuals.
    I can't find now but the P allows us to shoot at higher speed than the flash syncronization but we must switch someting in the flash.. I can't find it now... Sorry.

later.

My advise is: shoot, shoot, shoot and shoot.
    make mistakes, read, shoot.

This is what I do.
    I hope all this to be of some use.
    thumb.gif
    edited August 20, 2006
    Thanks for the links. But that is not exactly what I am looking for. I am investigating a problem that I am having using the particular setup that I mentioned. It seems that there is a problem with one of my equipment or maybe a bug in the ettl2.

Try using flash position 6 on your image and do test shots with all your lenses. but do the test without the cardboard, just the omnibounce. And try to get the ambient light low. What I have found out that when I use position 6, I get underexposed photos when I use my canon 100mm 2.8 macro lens. I get proper exposure when using my Canon 50mm 1.4 usm.

I don't get the underexposure problem when the flash is in bounce mode.

Canon's E-TTL2 uses the distance that some canon lenses report back to the system. The 100mm Macro support distance reporting while the 50mm don't. What I think is happening is that E-TTL2 limits the amount of flash based on the distance it gets from the lens, and apparently, it doesn't care if it's preflash says that it needs output light. This causes underexposure when you have any sort of diffuser on the flash and you are point the flash straight forward. When in bounce mode, the system do not make use of the distance reported by the lens, so the exposure is correct.

I know some of you will say that you should not use the omnibounce pointing straight forward. I just use that as a way to test. I also get underexposure when I handhold the flash using an of shoe camera cord. If I point the flash to the wall set at the normal 90 degrees position, I get underexposed photos. I get proper exposure when the point the head to the same wall but having it at 45 degree or other position.

I need help testing this so that I could know if it is a bug with the system or if there is a specific problem with my equipment.
    edited August 20, 2006
    I need time to test what you said and I don't think I can have it soon.
    However, I'll remeber and try to do testing.

Regards. thumb.gif
    edited August 20, 2006
    I need time to test what you said and I don't think I can have it soon.
    However, I'll remeber and try to do testing.

Regards. thumb.gif

Thanks!