Twin Lakes, Colorado

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited August 25, 2006 in Finishing School
This picture (once I get it right) will reside over my love seat in the living room. This is the ORIGINAL SHOT, the following is what I've done with it thus far. Flame away as your eyes and constructive suggestions will make it better. Thanks in advance.

89376462-L.jpg

This is what I've done with it so far.....

89162291-L.jpg

Canon Powershot A620 25mm f/4.0 1/640
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• livefreenskilivefreenski Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    the first thing i notice that it appears that the sky is overexposed but it could be the greatness of my macbook display:):
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    Swartzy,

If you're looking for advice on post processing this shot, let me know, and we'll move it to Finishing School. If you're looking for critique on this image from an artistic, compositional as well as techinical viewpoint, then we'll let it stay here, but do know that your post will lead to overy technical answers on how to improve it in post, which is best handled in Finishing School.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Swartzy,

If you're looking for advice on post processing this shot, let me know, and we'll move it to Finishing School. If you're looking for critique on this image from an artistic, compositional as well as techinical viewpoint, then we'll let it stay here, but do know that your post will lead to overy technical answers on how to improve it in post, which is best handled in Finishing School.

Thanks David,

I suppose then we should move it to finishing school as I agree there would be numerous "fix it" suggestions. I thought originally this would be the place for this composition but maybe not. I would love to get this shot as nice as it could be and certainly have many things to learn. Thanks again.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    Swartzy wrote:
    Thanks David,

I suppose then we should move it to finishing school as I agree there would be numerous "fix it" suggestions. I thought originally this would be the place for this composition but maybe not. I would love to get this shot as nice as it could be and certainly have many things to learn. Thanks again.

Moved. Just to be clear, the image would be fine in the Whipping Post, it's just that the sense I got from your post is that you were looking for post processing help more than anything else. Post it in the WP as well, if you want that kind of feedback.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2006
    On my monitor, the colors look a bit oversaturated and the snow on the mountains has a pink cast. Of course, getting it to print accurately is the ultimate goal so both points may be somewhat irrelevant.

Also, the reflection does not match - especially the lightened mountain hues.

Other than that, I like the original composition and the post processing you did.thumb.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    Pink cast
    TomaS wrote:
    On my monitor, the colors look a bit oversaturated and the snow on the mountains has a pink cast. Of course, getting it to print accurately is the ultimate goal so both points may be somewhat irrelevant.

Also, the reflection does not match - especially the lightened mountain hues.

Other than that, I like the original composition and the post processing you did.thumb.gif
    Thanks TomaS...yes, the pink cast was getting to me as well as the oversaturation of the sky. I went in and reworked curves, levels, & color balance. I think I've found that better place where the image is sharp but not heavily saturated and clipping. The water had it's own hue as the sky was perfectly blue that morning. Here's the re-worked shot and any comments are always appreciated! Thanks!

89559886-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Swartzy wrote:
    Thanks TomaS...yes, the pink cast was getting to me as well as the oversaturation of the sky. I went in and reworked curves, levels, & color balance. I think I've found that better place where the image is sharp but not heavily saturated and clipping. The water had it's own hue as the sky was perfectly blue that morning. Here's the re-worked shot and any comments are always appreciated! Thanks!

Oh yes!clap.gif Much more natural looking. If you like that kind of thing.rolleyes1.gif
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    I think your latest re-work looks very nice. The only thing I might change is the reflection of the mountain on the left looks too dark, but I know my monitor shows images darker than they really are so it may just be me.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto