Options

Proof Delay Question ---

OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
edited August 22, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I just ordered prints from my site (in galleries where I had set the proof delay to 1 day)...and I got the confirmation email which said:

"This email is your order confirmation and payment receipt. It will take about 3 business days to process your order because the photographer whose prints you've ordered has requested extra time to make sure the images are perfect before we process your order."

Now to the questions:

1. I didn't get an email telling me that someone had ordered prints and now the clock is ticking for me to get them touched up. Shouldn't I recieved a separate email according to the message above?

2. When I'm ordering prints from my site (logged in, of course), I don't want the proof delay. This is obvious, right?

Can someone please explain what happens in this scenario? Thanks.
Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    Oakley wrote:
    I just ordered prints from my site (in galleries where I had set the proof delay to 1 day)...and I got the confirmation email which said:

"This email is your order confirmation and payment receipt. It will take about 3 business days to process your order because the photographer whose prints you've ordered has requested extra time to make sure the images are perfect before we process your order."

Now to the questions:

1. I didn't get an email telling me that someone had ordered prints and now the clock is ticking for me to get them touched up. Shouldn't I recieved a separate email according to the message above?
    You won't. Not for "at cost orders." If you do it again, ordering something that's priced at a penny over, for example, you'll get the proof email.
    [/quote]
    2. When I'm ordering prints from my site (logged in, of course), I don't want the proof delay. This is obvious, right? [/QUOTE]

Sorry, it's not obvious :) It will be delayed whether you order, or a customer orders. You can hit the "ship it" button after you order for yourself.

Moved to SmugMug Pro Sales Support.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2006
    You can hit the "ship it" button after you order for yourself.

Where is the "ship it" button???
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2006
    Oakley wrote:
    Where is the "ship it" button???
    When you order from your gallery, a photo that has been priced at a profit (even a penny) and if the gallery is set for proof delay, AND you did not order from multiple pros, there will be a button called "Ship It!" in your order screen in the control panel.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    When you order from your gallery, a photo that has been priced at a profit (even a penny) and if the gallery is set for proof delay, AND you did not order from multiple pros, there will be a button called "Ship It!" in your order screen in the control panel.

OK --- I'm a little lost now...

In my senario, I was logged in to my site when I ordered the prints (so there was no profit applied).

Will the proof delay be applied to this order?

If not, great. Except whey would I have recieved this message ---

If the proof delay was applied (which you've told me it wouldn't be if there is no profit), then why didn't I get the "ship it now" button?

Sorry to beat this one to death Andy. I'm just not satisfied I understand it yet...
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2006
    Oakley wrote:
    OK --- I'm a little lost now...

In my senario, I was logged in to my site when I ordered the prints (so there was no profit applied).

Will the proof delay be applied to this order?
    Yes.

If the proof delay was applied (which you've told me it wouldn't be if there is no profit), then why didn't I get the "ship it now" button?

Sorry to beat this one to death Andy. I'm just not satisfied I understand it yet...[/QUOTE]
    you won't see a ship it button if it's a no-profit order.
    Try another one, set the prices at .01 higher
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yes.

Sorry to beat this one to death Andy. I'm just not satisfied I understand it yet...
    you won't see a ship it button if it's a no-profit order.
    Try another one, set the prices at .01 higher[/quote]

OK -

So it WILL have the proof delay (if set in the gallery) regardless of cost (base or profit).

But if it is a no-profit order I will not get a ship it button. Why? I don't want to have to wait?

This isn't making much sense to me...
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 21, 2006
    Ok can i add one to this ... i just recieved an e-mail saying i had a sale but when i go to the order page it says delayed for proofing and touch up ... and i have no ship it now button ? on my other order i did..? mine might be cause the customer made a tight crop of one of the photos the way she liked it ... could that be the reason? cause the photos on my end are ready to ship ... i'm going to lower my days as well...
    thanks ...
    curtis
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    Do you have an order number?
    Ok can i add one to this ... i just recieved an e-mail saying i had a sale but when i go to the order page it says delayed for proofing and touch up ... and i have no ship it now button ? on my other order i did..? mine might be cause the customer made a tight crop of one of the photos the way she liked it ... could that be the reason? cause the photos on my end are ready to ship ... i'm going to lower my days as well...
    thanks ...
    curtis

If you'll tell me the order numbers, the one that did have a ship it button and the one that doesn't. I'll take a look!

-Anne
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2006
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    If you'll tell me the order numbers, the one that did have a ship it button and the one that doesn't. I'll take a look!

-Anne

man you guys are quick...:D
    156397 had the button
    159927 does not...
    thanks a million
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2006
    No wonder it's confusing
    Oakley wrote:
    OK -

So it WILL have the proof delay (if set in the gallery) regardless of cost (base or profit).

But if it is a no-profit order I will not get a ship it button. Why? I don't want to have to wait?

This isn't making much sense to me...
    Ok I looked into this more and I can see why everyone is confused! As it turns out, currently if you have pro pricing set on your SmugMug site at all... backprinting and proof-delay are in effect. This is regardless of whether you are logged in or not or a given order makes you profit or not.

This, of course, is a problem! You don't want to wait for your prints. We get that. Also, if your family orders prints for an "at-cost" album... you want to be able to click "ship it!" when the prints are ready. I've reported the issue and we'll work on changing the feature.

To be clear, we all want this, right? :
    If you have pro pricing set anywhere on your site, proof-delay is in effect. Except, when you are logged in as site owner and placing an order.

The question remains:
    In the case where you have a gallery with "at-cost" pricing, so the order doesn't show up in your sales = no ship it button, what should we do about proof-delay? headscratch.gif

-Anne
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2006
    Hold the phone
    156397 had the button
    159927 does not...
    thanks a million

Let me check on this one...

-Anne
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2006
    More info, please?
    156397 had the button
    159927 does not...
    thanks a million

Hmm... I'm a little bit stumped here. It looks like you changed your proof-delay settings since these orders were placed. Used to be 7 days and now it's 1. It looks like 156397 contained images from the same gallery, whereas 159927 contained images from 3 or more different galleries. I'm going off a hunch here, but is it possible that you had different number of proof-delay days set for those 3+ galleries? e.g. one was set to 7 days, and the other two were set to 2 days?

-Anne
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2006
    thats weird i thought i went in and did a bulk setting on galleries to catch all at a 1 day delay..? i dont know... i just could not figure why 1 had the button to send it on and this most recient one does not ... ? i thought adjusting the # of days might help ? i hope i have not goofed something up.. i'm good at that....
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    To be clear, we all want this, right? :
    If you have pro pricing set anywhere on your site, proof-delay is in effect. Except, when you are logged in as site owner and placing an order.
    -Anne

Uhhh... I don't have proof-delay set for any of my galleries yet. Wanted to wait and see how this thing works &/or whether or not I really want to use it... only for a future event when I have tons of photos that I don't have time to completly process... soooo if I don't have the proof delay set-up/enabled for a gallery then I don't want my customers getting the delay messege. Only if and when they've ordered at least one or more photos that I have delay enabled for. Otherwise: Just process as usuall and let me know they ordered via e-mail (gee I love the e-mail notifications... saves tons of time checking :)

Thanks,
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    Uhhh... I don't have proof-delay set for any of my galleries yet. Wanted to wait and see how this thing works &/or whether or not I really want to use it... only for a future event when I have tons of photos that I don't have time to completly process... soooo if I don't have the proof delay set-up/enabled for a gallery then I don't want my customers getting the delay messege. Only if and when they've ordered at least one or more photos that I have delay enabled for. Otherwise: Just process as usuall and let me know they ordered via e-mail (gee I love the e-mail notifications... saves tons of time checking :)

Thanks,

I'm sorry, I should have clarified. If you have proof-delay set to 0 days, then no message.

-Anne
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    Oakley wrote:
    2. When I'm ordering prints from my site (logged in, of course), I don't want the proof delay. This is obvious, right?
    Not at all. In fact I think it would be rather wrong to be otherwise.

if I put up a photo for sale and put up a proof delay it is specificallly because the image I uploaded to Smugmug is NOT ready to ship to a printer. This fact does not change whether I am logged in and ordering or whether someone else is ordering -- the file is not ready to print.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    Not at all. In fact I think it would be rather wrong to be otherwise.

if I put up a photo for sale and put up a proof delay it is specificallly because the image I uploaded to Smugmug is NOT ready to ship to a printer. This fact does not change whether I am logged in and ordering or whether someone else is ordering -- the file is not ready to print.

Oh - I figured that if I was going to go into my own site and order a print, it would already be it's best. Or I would have made the edits to it BEFORE I logged in and ordered it.