In camera IS tempting any Canon or Nikon Users?

BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
edited August 21, 2006 in Cameras
I've been considering ways to get a good 300mm f4 (or longer) on the cheap. I've checked a few lens tests of Pentax Super Takumar 300mm f4, and believe it or not, from what I see it is as sharp as a 300mm f4 L @ f4. Pretty impressive. To use this lens effectively in a church I would need to be on a monopod at the very least, and possibly install a Katz-eye in the body I would use it on (my backup 20D). With the release on the alpha and the new pentax incorporating in camera IS I've been tempted to explore purchasing one of these bodies stricktly for telephoto low light work. From what I have seen I could pick up a body AND a decent 300mm prime for the cost of a 300mm f4 L IS. BUT! Here is the big but, the high iso performance is comparatively crappy to my Canon bodies, which may eat up any advantage given by the IS. So If I could hand hold the 300mm f4 L IS @ 800 iso and 1/100th of a sec OR hand hold an alpha with 300mm f4 Minolta @ 800 ISO and 1/100th and have lots of noise I would prefer the former. Eventhough touted by Sony and formerly KM of steadying 3 stops I HIGHLY doubt the body IS is as effective at long focal lengths as the Canon lens based IS. Anyone else feel the temptation? Have experience with KM/Sony Anti Shake at 200mm + focal lengths?

Some more background...My first film camera was a Minolta SLR so I have some love for the A-mount and I have coveted the Minolta STF lens as a killer background crushing portrait lens since its invention...They have gotten more financially attainable as Minolta's market share has waned.

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 21, 2006
    Could you use an Olympus Zuicko 300 f4.5 with an Olympus to Canon EOS adapter??

I happen to still own this lens, and might be willing to part with it for a fair and reasonable price. :): It may not be a sharp as the Takumar, and not quite as fast. mwink.gifIt looks like new.:): The Olympus to EOS adapters are available also.

This would let you keep the Canon High ISO/ low noise your prefer, rather than purchasing a new camera. Just a thought......
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • BrettGBrettG Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    I've got the Minolta 300 f4 that I use on my 7D. Great lens in my opinion, although I've never had any other high end brand to compare it to.

The antishake is a nice feature for sure, but I can't say that I'd trade good high ISO for it. All else being equal, you'd still want a high shutter speed to freeze subject movement.

I'm waiting to see if Sony does any mid-range or higher camera - the A100 doesn't really do it for me. The one thing that's still a problem is the pricing on high end glass from Sony. One of the selling points of AS was that you get antishake on all your lens without paying for IS/VR on them. However, the high end Minolta glass (if you could even find it) was still more than the IS/VR equivalents from Canon/Nikon... Hopefully the street price comes down in time.

Also note that I don't think Sony is making the 300 f4, at least I haven't seen it in their lens lineup. Or maybe I'm thinking of the 200 2.8 which is one I've wanted but couldn't find last time I looked.
  • BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    BrettG wrote:
    I've got the Minolta 300 f4 that I use on my 7D. Great lens in my opinion, although I've never had any other high end brand to compare it to.

The antishake is a nice feature for sure, but I can't say that I'd trade good high ISO for it. All else being equal, you'd still want a high shutter speed to freeze subject movement.

I'm waiting to see if Sony does any mid-range or higher camera - the A100 doesn't really do it for me. The one thing that's still a problem is the pricing on high end glass from Sony. One of the selling points of AS was that you get antishake on all your lens without paying for IS/VR on them. However, the high end Minolta glass (if you could even find it) was still more than the IS/VR equivalents from Canon/Nikon... Hopefully the street price comes down in time.

Also note that I don't think Sony is making the 300 f4, at least I haven't seen it in their lens lineup. Or maybe I'm thinking of the 200 2.8 which is one I've wanted but couldn't find last time I looked.

thanks, thats what I figured. I don't the the 300 f4 will carry through, I was considering a used one. Yes you would think/hope that sony had a real deal pro body in the works considering that they offer 2 or three lenses that will retail for 2x the price of the body and one that might be 3x. I thought the same thing when I saw them carry the 300mm f2.8 APO G, through or maybe they are just rebadging old stock :P to offset their acquisition loss.
  • HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    Sony's 300mm f/2.8 is a slightly reworked Minolta one. It retails for over $7000 cdn new. I played with it. It's pretty nice.
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net