new member-first post

gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
edited December 5, 2004 in Landscapes
This looks to be an excellent forum-I like the way the site has been categorised
and there appears to be some very talented and interesting photographers in here , which means that there will be lots for me to learn.

I am interested in digital near infrared and nature macro and ,once I have upgraded to a DSLR I would like to try portaiture as well as larger scale nature photography.

I use a Sony Mavica MVC-CD 500 which I will hold onto as it does not have an IR cut filter.Its also very good for macro but I really need a DSLR with a proper viewfinder if I am ever to capture birds and bats in flight.

Here is an infrared I took recently(1/60th,iso 200,manually white balanced ,some USM and autolevels)-its a small white delivery van heading towards camera as it comes down a freeway on- ramp in Melbourne,Australia.I would be interested to know what people think as in other forums it seems to be a little too weird for most tastes.

Looking forward to my time in here.

ps (hi andy)

Greg

http://bluetongue.smugmug.com/photos/11845227-S.jpg
Latitude: 37° 52'South
Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.

Comments

• Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2004
    Hi Greg & Welcome!:D

Nice to have so many aussies joining recently! Hows Melbourne's weather at the moment? We've just had a mini-heat wave which has finanlly finished in a fairly spectacular thunder/lightning display last night. Its been around 37 (that's about the 100 degree mark for you guys o/s) for the last 4 or so days! 'Welcome to summer'!!! umph.gif

Sounds like you know a fair bit about cameras already!?!!

I like the shot of the van, very neat. You could palm it off as a ufo landing or something!?.... Can you post the pic directly to the thread? You might get a few more responses if it is quick and easy to see.... ? You're right, these dgrinner's are fairly conservative in their likes and dislikes for photography. rolleyes1.gif Not alot of abstract stuff which is a bit sad. 'Damonff' does some nice stuff like that, and the 'blurr' faze seems to have just finished too - there were some great shots in that thread.... search and have a look at that thread, might be of interest to you ?

Anyway, hope to see more of your shots soon.

Cheers beer.gif

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited December 1, 2004
    Hello and welcome Greg wave.gif

I hope you feel at home here. There are lots of Sony users, as you probably already know, and lots of us really like IR thumb.gif But, the thing that really makes this forum unique is that it's not about cameras. It's all about the pitchas clap.gif

Even the gear forums address the whole range of cameras and gear.

Hey, I liked that colored IR. So, what speed did you use? Obviously, you used a fairly slow speed (or that van was getting ready to break the sound barrier rolleyes1.gif ), but since the CD500 doesn't have a cut filter, do you still have to use slow speeds?

Anyhow, welcome and keep sharing those images. When you're ready to decide on a Dslr, there's plenty of folks here with lots of knowledge, and the willingness to share it, if you have any questions.

Welcome again,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    Hi Greg, and welcome to DGrin
    11845227-Th.jpg
    such good composition, great lines and the IR makes it so cool! Post some more clap.gif
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    Hi Greg wave.gif Welcome to the forum... you'll have fun here and learn loads!! I certainly do...
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    Hi Steve

"I the thing that really makes this forum unique is that it's not about cameras. It's all about the pitchas clap.gif "

Thats one of the reasons I like the look of this forum.In other forums there is a lot of "my camera/make is better than yours" and "you should not be in this forum because you have such and such a camera and this forum is for so and so people"

Hey, I liked that colored IR. So, what speed did you use? Obviously, you used a fairly slow speed (or that van was getting ready to break the sound barrier rolleyes1.gif ), but since the CD500 doesn't have a cut filter, do you still have to use slow speeds?

Glad you liked it!

It will shoot fairly fast-I used 1/60th, and ISO 200(should have used ISO100) and f2.2 which is fast enough to handhold and keep the noise levels down.It will shoot a little faster in really bright conditions.The colour is as it is straight out of camera-no IR cut mirror means that you can manually white balance with an 18% grey card and get an ok image without needing to channel swap etc in photoshop.This suits me as my old version of pshop and my outdated pc are just not up to the task.Once I get upgraded then I should be able to pursue retouching a little more seriously.

The van was probably only doing 60 kmph at the time.I will get around to posting some at 1/30th,which makes vehicles look like they are heading off into space.

Thanks for your kind welcome-I am currently thinking of a D70 as there are some pretty good package deals on at the moment,but if I had the buck$ I would probably go for a 20D-very expensive down here though...once I am in a position to make a decision I am sure that there will be a lot of opinions to assist me.

Greg

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
    edited December 1, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Hi Greg, and welcome to DGrin
    11845227-Th.jpg
    such good composition, great lines and the IR makes it so cool! Post some more clap.gif
    Thanks Gubbs

I will post some more and thank you for your kind comments and welcome.

Greg

edited December 1, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi Greg wave.gif Welcome to the forum... you'll have fun here and learn loads!! I certainly do...
    Thanks Lynn

I hope to learn as much as I can and perhaps add my own 2 cents worth.

Looking forward to a rewarding association.

Greg

edited December 1, 2004
    Hi Kate,thanks for your welcome.Weather here is ok.I know how hot it can get in Adelaide.Crafers is up in the Adelaide hils,yes?Glad you like van image.

Greg

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2004
    Hi Greg wave.gif

I notice you posted a link. In case you need it, here's how to post a pic.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited December 1, 2004
    another one
    thanks-saved it as a small image from smugmug

this was taken at 1/30th second

• PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2004
    That pic is sweeet! All these Infrared lovers in here are making me wanna buy a R72 filter.

Hmm :)
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited December 2, 2004
    I like that IR shot! I haven't ever shot IR and from the looks of things, I
    should try a few thumb.gif

Welcome aboard!

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 3, 2004
    Ir
    That pic is sweeet! All these Infrared lovers in here are making me wanna buy a R72 filter.

Hmm :)
    thank you for your comments.

once summer comes back to florida you would have a fine time shooting IR-
    its a lot of fun and rather addictive-one of the good things about it is you can shoot at midday whereas normal light photography is blown out.

greg

edited December 3, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    I like that IR shot! I haven't ever shot IR and from the looks of things, I
    should try a few thumb.gif

Welcome aboard!

hi ian

thank you.i see from your profille that you own an nikon 950-i am not certain but think that it might be an excellent IR camera, as it may not have an IR cut filter,similar to my sony mavica mvc-cd 500.you might like to do a little surfing to find out before you buy a R72-i do know that some nikons are very good in this regard.

greg

• happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    Hi Greg
    Welcome to dgrin... and yes you will like it here as its a great place to hang out and learn.

Nice photos too and I look forward to seeing some more in the future...

From one Aussie to another,

Cheers
    Yvette
    :roflhappily snapping
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    welcome greg
    wave.gif

nice shots in your first post. looking fwd to more
    edited December 5, 2004
    thanks Yvette(NT)
    [

edited December 5, 2004
    thanks andy,

i was natureboy in DPR STF-i think i will hang out more in here from now on.

greg