Options

Well I have a showing (Kinda I guess)

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited August 23, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Well this is a long story that has been brewing for bout a week that I haven't wanted to mention till today but I am kinda in over my head.

So heres the deal. The PM for the calendar I have been doing has kinda taken me on as a pet project almost and been responding to add's and stuff that she see's and trying to get me a whole bunch more work. Well she saw a listing for a furniture store that was looking to find a photographer whos prints they could display and sell (kinda like a gallery) to their big clients. They are even going to have a big special event party (kinda like a gallery opening) to show of my prints. The do this thing in several of their locations in other states and it goes over really well with alot of sales supposedly. They don't charge a commision because they feel it helps sell their product's more to have the artwork hanging around to make it look like complete offices. So they get the benifit of their stuff looking better and I get the exposure and sales.

Well they like my work alot, and want to display it and sell it (for sure, had a meeting with them today and everything).

This of course means alot of work for me, I have to get some more shots, and I have to go through a bunch of my shots I haven't processed or looked at cause they aren't the kinda shots that I like but I know others might.... Plus I have to get framming stuff taken care of, etc.....

What should I take into consideration doing this? Is there anything I should watch out for? Clauses I should put in the contract? Etc. What am I getting myself into? Help, words of advise, congratulations? Anything?
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 21, 2006
    Who sets the pricing on your framed pictures? Quality framing is not cheap and if they are looking for a large quantity of framed pieces it could easily run you into the tens of thousands of dollars upfront with no guarantee of sales. My first impression is that they are using you to get free framed pieces to hang in their stores. Somehow I doubt that selling your work will be a top priority for them especially since they stand to make no $$$ from it. Be very careful what you sign so that you don't bite off more than you can chew.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2006
    I set the prices, and also decide how much I supply them with and when.

Also I have seen what they have up so far, and the prices they have it marked for. Their frames suck. Even the cheap frames I normally use blow theirs out of the water. That said I'm considering doing all the framing myself instead of paying someone else to do it.

Kinda worried bout the not selling thing too. Still not sure about this. Have alot to think about. Good thing is I am the one writing up the contract so I can make it very fair (to me).
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2006
    Truth made some good points, and gave me alot to think about. Anyone else have anything to add? Sorry for the shameless bump, not my thing normally but I have a deadline on this so....
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    You know what the store looks like, the type of clientele the store has, and have spoken to the store personel. I think you are in a much better position to determin the viability of this venture than me.

That said, go with your gut feeling. If it feels good, determine a budget you can live with, only frame photos you like and and can use later if, worse comes to worse, and nothing sells. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Good luck!!!

Sam
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    Gary,
    Truth made some good points, and gave me alot to think about. Anyone else have anything to add? Sorry for the shameless bump, not my thing normally but I have a deadline on this so....

I agree with Truth's points... and I have an idea.:-)

You choose the framing and mounting but they pay for it.

If it sells - they will have their money back from each sale and recover the expenses (I know, you're not gonna sell your work for less than a frame's cost:-).
    If not - you invested your time and skills in pictures, they cough up some dough for frames, it's all fair :-)...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    You choose the framing and mounting but they pay for it.

I think that is a great idea, if you can convince them of it. Congrats on the opportunity by the way!!!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Congrats first.

You might also think about no frame just matted.
    Or maybe print on canvas seems like just the thing...to me
    I have done this and very easy to do...and cheaper then a good mat and frame job.

Fred