Garage Studio

leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
edited August 26, 2006 in People
I had fun blowing a lot of money on stands, tripod, monopod, heads and a back drop today. I'm getting prepared to be a "main photog" at the studio I shoot for. I've been a "photo-journalist" -- second member of a two shooter team up to this point when shooting for the studio. Now I'll be shooting the formals and shooting against a backdrop at receptions -- in addition to all the other stuff I've been doing.

Oh -- and I'll get to stand in the prime spot in the aisle when the bride walks down :)

So, to practice, I opened up my own garage studio.

89795180-M.jpg

I bought a used Minolta light meter and a set of used White Lightning 10,000 strobes ("paint cans").

89796600-M.jpg

As you can see, I roped in my youngest daughter after her soccer practice today.

89797256-M.jpg

I'm new at this -- but don't be merciful. I need to be ready in the next couple weeks.

Lee

Comments

• StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    Buy an Iron!! the creases are really distracting!

Light looks good there are some bright spots on her face but guess that is because she is a little shiny from FOOTBALL* practice.

*We invented it and its called football :D
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    Buy an Iron!! the creases are really distracting!

Brand new -- right out of the bag. Saleslady says to wad it up and throw it into a duffle bag :)
    Light looks good there are some bright spots on her face but guess that is because she is a little shiny from FOOTBALL* practice.

*We invented it and its called football :D

True that. :)

Lee
    edited August 22, 2006
    Round 2:

90062121-M.jpg

90060251-M.jpg

90062340-M.jpg

I know I need to clone the corner of this photo. The dog wondered in unexpectedly :)

Lee
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    ive gotta say im not diggin the wrinkles either, but i think if the backdrop was white or black and it had sorta wrinkles\creases it might give a cool effect, but the colour it is,it just doesnt work without being ironed!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    I'm a big fan of the twisting and then wadding up the back drops.
    Juat personal taste.
    Kat
    "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
    Bill Brandt
    edited August 25, 2006
    ive gotta say im not diggin the wrinkles either, but i think if the backdrop was white or black and it had sorta wrinkles\creases it might give a cool effect, but the colour it is,it just doesnt work without being ironed!

A little post processing magic:

90663347-M.jpg

Nonny
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    Bakat wrote:
    I'm a big fan of the twisting and then wadding up the back drops.
    Juat personal taste.
    Kat

I dont mind really wrinkled backdrops, but to me this on appears not wrinly enough or straight enough.

That colour change is pretty seemless! good work
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    If you aimed a couple of studio lights at the background, one on each side, if you have them, wouldn't that balance out the light & make the background white & get rid of the wrinkles?
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai