Curves in PS Elements

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited August 27, 2006 in Finishing School
OK, as a bit of a rookie user I bought PS Elements to try out the sport. I enjoy the program and find I can do almost everything I want to do in Elements.

The one thing I find missing are "Curves"- especially around how to add pop to your shots by adjusting the curves feature.

Is there a work around?

I really cannot justify the move up to full PS on just this, but I really like the tutorials on "Pop" and would like to be able to do this in my shots.

Thanks for thinking about us little guys!

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Richard Lynch's Hidden Elements is what you're after.

http://www.hiddenelements.com/index.htm

Of course you could also look at Paint Shop Pro...
  • steveLsteveL Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    using layers?
    Are you using the rgb layers and adjusting them individually? I think that works as well as curves for me (which I have). I just don't find that my own little style of photography requires curves or even benefits from using curves. I am using PSE 2 still and still really like it.

Have you tried adding a levels layer after copying the background? You can also do that with images that you want to desaturate and make black and white. Adjusting the rgb levels individually to match what you really saw and thereby overcome the limitations of your camera and lens is a good starting point. Adjust the brightness and contrast next but don't over do it and loose detail (unless that's the plan). I always try and make sure that I haven't altered the color from what was/is really there originally.

I have Richard Lynch's Hidden Elements and like it quite a lot but I don't use the tools anymore or even have them loaded on the drive at this time. I like to try different operating systems and got to where I just reinstall what I absolutely need and only when I need it. I am dual booting XP and Vista and wonder if I can install PSE 2 on Vista. If I could use PSE 2 on Vista, I would use Vista almost exclusively.