First attempts at a macro ...

NewCreation517NewCreation517 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited August 23, 2006 in Holy Macro
So I was lurking around here looking at macro shots and thought they were amazing. Never tried one before, so I thought I'd attempt a few. All I can say is ... wow, you macro guys have it tough! So much patience involved, and nearly all my shots were focused wrong. I just used my standard 18-55mm lens with the 20D's macro mode. Hopefully these turned out half-way decent ... let me know how I can improve! :dunno
89970512-L.jpg
89970454-L.jpg
Not there yet, but I've passed the start ...

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    Not mad on #1 but #2 is excellent - lovely colour/composition.
    Not sure what macro mode does but I've never used it. You are normally fighting for light and DOF in macro which with natural light shots can mean upping the ISO to 400 or even 800, trying to keep the aperture around F8 to F11 whilst maintaining a reasonable shutter speed. So I use AV mode for natural light shots unless it's a fast moving bug when I might use Tv mode. When going to higher mags there just isn't enough light so I shoot manual, 1/200th, F11, ISO200 with ETTL flash.
    Brian V.
  • NewCreation517NewCreation517 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    I must say I am honored that Brian liked one of my shots! I was just looking at all of yours, and they are breathtaking! Particularly your panorama dragonfly ... wow!

What sort of camera/lens do you use Brian? Thanks for the tips!
    Not there yet, but I've passed the start ...
    So I was lurking around here looking at macro shots and thought they were amazing. Never tried one before, so I thought I'd attempt a few. All I can say is ... wow, you macro guys have it tough! So much patience involved, and nearly all my shots were focused wrong. I just used my standard 18-55mm lens with the 20D's macro mode. Hopefully these turned out half-way decent ... let me know how I can improve! ne_nau.gif

Hi there..........ahhhhhhh good for you for having a go I say clap.gif
    Your right it's not easy to do Macro, as you have found out for yourself.
    Your second shot is Great........

If your really serious about Macro, you might need to think about a different lens.

Lots of practice, I get heaps of failures with mine, but when you get that one special shot it's worth all the failures :D

Keep practicing thumb.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    Your angle of 2nd is great for me eek7.gif these are great even without macro lens .Are these crops ?
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    I must say I am honored that Brian liked one of my shots! I was just looking at all of yours, and they are breathtaking! Particularly your panorama dragonfly ... wow!

What sort of camera/lens do you use Brian? Thanks for the tips!

Hi,
    I started with a 300Dand a 105mm EX lens (still use both of them) added extension tubes and now frequently use a 20D and a MPE-65.
    You can get more info on rigs and methods here
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/topic/66514/

Brian V.