Two-up at Speed

galaxycowpokegalaxycowpoke Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited August 25, 2006 in Sports
Two-up into the Sunset

A track rider gives his girlfriend a ride on her birthday.

two-up_bw.jpg

Comments

• maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    Not bad Shaun, the only thing (for me) would be to try and achive some level shadow detail. Otherwise you end up with just sold blobs of black.

In other words you want to shoot for the same sort of shadow detail you can see on the thigh/leathers...

Maybe some judicious use of the shadow highlight tool will pull some of the detail back out...

Andrew :)
    AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
    Next Race - MotoGP Donington
    :ivar

• galaxycowpokegalaxycowpoke Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    maczippy wrote:
    Not bad Shaun, the only thing (for me) would be to try and achive some level shadow detail. Otherwise you end up with just sold blobs of black.

In other words you want to shoot for the same sort of shadow detail you can see on the thigh/leathers...

Maybe some judicious use of the shadow highlight tool will pull some of the detail back out...

Indeed, I really pushed the pixels into the black on this one. I've been trending my post-processing that way this year and especially on this photo (rather radically) featuring the unique shaded stand of trees in the background. It's a 180 degree turnaround from last year when I was using the shadow highlight tool quite a lot. Now it's very seldom I do anything beyond Adobe Camera Raw before going to JPEG. But I definitely took this one to the Edge of Blackness, boosting even the post-capture contrast through the roof.

This image is from last year. I hope to have some new ones in October. I can't believe it will have been a whole year since I shot a bike. I've been busy focusing on wedding, portrait, and equine (I'm in the North Central Florida horse country) for my bread and butter (well, maybe just butter rolleyes1.gif) and offering myself for the occasional track day (for the shooting not for the big money) . The event stuff really is a bit too monotonous for me, since you are obliged to get a good number of images for everyone and therefore take many of the same angles over and over again. I would much rather shoot editorial where you have more creative freedom and focus on getting those great saleable images.

Anyway, here's a more straight-forward version for your consideration. Very much faithful to the original capture, definitely more detail. I like it. But looking back at "edge of blackness" version, I'm surprised that I still like that one, too; distilled to almost pure black and white, the helmets really jumping out at you. But it was definitely very black.

Thanks, Andrew, for pulling me back from the abyss. :):

two-up_bw2.jpg
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 23, 2006
    I like that shot. Andrew's comments are good but I've got to admit I liked the
    darker one. Maybe something that's between the two images?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited August 23, 2006
    ian408 wrote:

The second certainly shows more detail; and there's merit in that. On the other hand, the first one has a kind of Ansel Adams quality for me. Deep deep blacks. Brilliant whites. That's what I was going for. But I suppose it's not everybody's Earl Grey. And that's okay.
  • maczippymaczippy Registered Users Posts: 597 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Exactly!

As for track days stuff. I'll never do it. I've been asked but I never will for the reasons you mention.

ian408 wrote:
    AutoMotoPhoto® Motorcycle Racing Photography
    Next Race - MotoGP Donington
    :ivar

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 23, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    I agree, something in between - to retain the dark romantic quality of the first, but a bit more detail wouldn't hurt.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 23, 2006
    Keep the black background of the first image, but blend in some of the detail in the forground with a blending layer and a mask. That should keep the deep blacks and let you control the details in the leathers and the bike in the forground.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited August 23, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Keep the black background of the first image, but blend in some of the detail in the forground with a blending layer and a mask. That should keep the deep blacks and let you control the details in the leathers and the bike in the forground.

Ah! Good idea!
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    I like the 2nd one better. Those two really have to trust each other.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited August 24, 2006
    I think that's the great thing about nailing the exposure: you can then take it any direction you want.

My old band director used to always say that it's better to be sharp than flat. And with digital, I always try to err on the side of slight overexposure rather than underexposure, since the sensors capture more data in the lighter range.

But overexposure is, from what I see, also the most common error in roadracing images, usually because the photographer has neglected to compensate for the large expanses of grayish black asphalt.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 25, 2006
    I think what pathfinder said. That sounds like a good compromise.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • FrankieAngFrankieAng Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Very nice capture, Shaun. I am not usually a big fan of B/W conversions, but this capture is an exception. I like it alot and a bit more since it was re-edited and brightened a bit.
    Frank
    (Pbase supporter) www.pbase.com/eng45ine