affiliate program question...

beginners_mindbeginners_mind Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited August 22, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hello,

I read the http://www.smugmug.com/affiliates/ page, but I'm not clear on how to deal with following scenario:
I have a bunch of pictures which some friends/clients may want to purchase. I have my own website/webpage and I want to have some thumbnails of pics on my site that refer to actual pictures on my smugmug account so that when they click on those pics they get directed to your smugmug... so that if they purchase I get a cut. This is different (or in addition to) from placing a banner ad on my website. Am I thinking about this correctly or is the affiliate the wrong approach? Is there an easy way to do this?

Something to keep in mind is that I'm thinking of the affiliate-standard program since I'm far^100 from being a professional photographer (thereby not needing the pro package).

b_m

Comments

• AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    Hello,

I read the http://www.smugmug.com/affiliates/ page, but I'm not clear on how to deal with following scenario:
    I have a bunch of pictures which some friends/clients may want to purchase. I have my own website/webpage and I want to have some thumbnails of pics on my site that refer to actual pictures on my smugmug account so that when they click on those pics they get directed to your smugmug... so that if they purchase I get a cut. This is different (or in addition to) from placing a banner ad on my website. Am I thinking about this correctly or is the affiliate the wrong approach? Is there an easy way to do this?

Something to keep in mind is that I'm thinking of the affiliate-standard program since I'm far^100 from being a professional photographer (thereby not needing the pro package).

b_m

Welcome to dgrin! wave.gif

If I am understanding your situation correctly, you're wanting to sell prints to make a profit. This is exclusively a pro feature at this point, regardless of how people get to your SmugMug site.

-Anne
  • DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    As I understand it, the affiliates program is to to sell smumug subscriptions to people, not photos.
    As Anne said, to sell photos, you need a pro account.

Dna
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    So what makes this different than using the referral code?
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72