Is it a bug or my code?

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited August 27, 2006 in SmugMug Support
When I click on one of my galleries I get the Smugmug home page. Something isn't working right. I get bounced back to Smugmug sometimes after I've been navigating around in my site for a while too. Is it my code? Thanks for any help you can offer.
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    snapapple wrote:
    When I click on one of my galleries I get the Smugmug home page. Something isn't working right. I get bounced back to Smugmug sometimes after I've been navigating around in my site for a while too. Is it my code? Thanks for any help you can offer.

I'm unable to replicate this. Can you be any more specific? ear.gif Exactly what do you do and what happens again?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I'm unable to replicate this. Can you be any more specific? ear.gif Exactly what do you do and what happens again?

Hi Mike,
    After logging in I scroll down to my "Daily Selection" spot or to my "people and events" spot (it has happened on both). when I click it, I'm sent to the Smugmug home page. When I get there, I can click "your photos" and get sent back to my site, then the galleries seem to work fine.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    snapapple wrote:
    Hi Mike,
    After logging in I scroll down to my "Daily Selection" spot or to my "people and events" spot (it has happened on both). when I click it, I'm sent to the Smugmug home page. When I get there, I can click "your photos" and get sent back to my site, then the galleries seem to work fine.

One for the helpdesk or Andy or Anne (or anyone else that can log into your site really). That doesn't appear to happen when the user is logged out. At least, it doesn't happen to me ne_nau.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    snapapple wrote:
    Hi Mike,

Clicking daily selection sends me here: http://snapapple.smugmug.com/Daily%20Selection and clicking "people and events" sends me here: http://snapapple.smugmug.com/People%20&%20Events . I can't imagine something that would cause it to send you someplace else! headscratch.gif

Are you clicking the thumbs or the category names? Or is it a gallery that is landing you on our homepage? I'm a little stumped here because no one (myself included) has been able to replicate. ne_nau.gif

-Anne
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    Working fine for me, Snappy. IE6 and FF. What browser are you using, browser and version?
  • redcrownredcrown Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    A possible hint... linking to any smugmug URL that is invalid, or not found, sends you to the home page with no error message.

If you are fooling with things, sometimes the changes take a few (several) minutes to take. During that time you might get sent to the home page. Later it might work OK.

For example, I just "renamed" a category. The control panel showed the update immediately, and the galleries in the category were re-assigned immediately. But my home page still showed the old gallery name. And clicking on it simply repainted the home page (gallery did not exist anymore).

I cleared cache several times. Even fired up IE. Same error. After about 10 minutes I was ready to come here and ask for help. But then I tried one more time and all was OK.
    edited August 27, 2006
    Still having the problem
    Andy or Anne,

I've still been having the problem.
    Here's the steps I take: I type in www.susanappelphotography.com to get in. That works fine. My site comes up with my banner etc.
    Then I click on login. The login screen comes up. All fine.

After logging in a home page comes up that is NOT my regular home page. There is no banner, the boxes are edged in green.

If I go down the page and click on any gallery, I'll get sent to the Smugmug home page. However, if I go up to the top and click on "your photos" first, I'll get sent to my homepage with my banner.

I had never realized that I was not on my homepage, but in some limbo world. This can't be right. It was not that way before.

Sometimes, not always, I'll be going back and forth to different galleries and suddenly get sent to the Smugmug home page. This happens after everything was working fine. Can't figure that one.

Today I tried going into my site by typing in www.snapapple.smugmug.com and it worked fine. Sometimes it doesn't. I figure that must be when smugmug is overworked. Not sure.

I'm using my "custom look" plus I put in some Smugmug themes on a few galleries.

I use Firefox on a Windows XP computer. I checked for updates on Firefox. I'm up to date.

I have my domain with Godaddy. I got them when you were saying they were your favorite. I fixed my setup to "C Names".

Hopes this helps you to help me. Thanks.

Snappy
    edited August 27, 2006
    snapapple wrote:
    Andy or Anne,

I've still been having the problem.
    Here's the steps I take: I type in www.susanappelphotography.com to get in. That works fine. My site comes up with my banner etc.
    Then I click on login. The login screen comes up. All fine.
    As an aside, why are you logging out, just curious?
    After logging in a home page comes up that is NOT my regular home page. There is no banner, the boxes are edged in green.
    A picture is worth 1000 words pls :D I see your page just fine - logged in / or out. IE6, FF, Safari.
    If I go down the page and click on any gallery, I'll get sent to the Smugmug home page.
    THAT is strange. Something's up with your Firefox settings, I'm sure. Have you cleared cache, completely, cleared all cookies?
    edited August 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    As an aside, why are you logging out, just curious?

A picture is worth 1000 words pls :D I see your page just fine - logged in / or out. IE6, FF, Safari.

THAT is strange. Something's up with your Firefox settings, I'm sure. Have you cleared cache, completely, cleared all cookies?

I seem to get logged out automatically if I'm off for a long time. I've noticed sometimes my site comes up logged in and sometimes logged out. I don't know why.

How do I do a screen capture? I'll show it to you.

I clear the cache and all personal settings by a little box that pops up every time I close Firefox. I set that up the last time I tried to fix this problem.
    edited August 27, 2006
    snapapple wrote:
    I clear the cache and all personal settings by a little box that pops up every time I close Firefox. I set that up the last time I tried to fix this problem.
    That's why you are logged out each time :D

Screen grab - "print screen" maybe on Windows?
    edited August 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    That's why you are logged out each time :D

Screen grab - "print screen" maybe on Windows?

So, I closed Firefox and went into my site again; logged in and the correct home page popped up. Go figure.

I'll copy it for you if it does it again.

Thanks

snappy