locking jpeg files ???

ryand70sryand70s Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited August 25, 2006 in Cameras
hello everyone!

does anyone know how to lock jpeg files from being uploaded to other websites ?

Thanks,

Ryan
nikon d70s, 135~400mm f4.5~5.6 APO Sigma, 18~70mm AF-S Nikkor, Sigma 2x Teleconverter, SB-600 Flash, 77mm CPL :thumb

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited August 22, 2006
    Are your pictures stored at Smugmug?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 22, 2006
    ryand70s wrote:
    hello everyone!

does anyone know how to lock jpeg files from being uploaded to other websites ?

Thanks,

Ryan

Are you talking about files on a SmugMug server? Is your goal to present images without theft, or to hide them entirely?

If you could explain the problem and the intent a little bit better ...?

This seems an odd question for the "Camera" forum? headscratch.gif

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ryand70sryand70s Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    :D hehehe..sorry Ziggy, i know this is a weird question for the camera forummwink.gif but i need urgent help. my picture is not stored on smugmug server. i just want my pictures protected, that's the purpose of my question.thumb.gif
    nikon d70s, 135~400mm f4.5~5.6 APO Sigma, 18~70mm AF-S Nikkor, Sigma 2x Teleconverter, SB-600 Flash, 77mm CPL :thumb
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited August 23, 2006
    ryand70s wrote:
    :D hehehe..sorry Ziggy, i know this is a weird question for the camera forummwink.gif but i need urgent help. my picture is not stored on smugmug server. i just want my pictures protected, that's the purpose of my question.thumb.gif

Ryan, you can help us help you by answering our questions. Where are your pictures stored? Are they at a service like Smugmug, pbase, etc? Are they on a public server at all?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited August 23, 2006
    ryand70s wrote:

Ryan,

Take a look at my images at:

http://ziggy53.smugmug.com/gallery/1209630

Notice that the images are "watermarked" with a "proof" statement. Note that if you right-mouse-click on the image, they are "protected" against "casual" theft. Note that I don't present the large or original sized images.

All of these things are provided by the code supplied by SmugMug or by software switches and settings of the SmugMug servers.

If you do a "View" and then "Page Source" with your browser, you may gain a better understanding of the code required to "protect" the images. There is nothing about the JPGs themselves which provides the protection, rather it is a "trick" of software, using your browser's features, that prevents the inadvertant copying of the image.

Unfortunately, there are still methods around this protection, which is why the watermark and not presenting the better quality images.

There is no "lock" available within the JPG image specification to provide this function. Only PDFs can provide an intrinsic protection against printing and changing, and it's not bulletproof either.

Now, can you tell us, David and myself especially, more about what you want to accomplish?

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Unfortunately, there are still methods around this protection

damn that print screen button! Watermark everything!
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • ryand70sryand70s Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Ryan,

Take a look at my images at:

http://ziggy53.smugmug.com/gallery/1209630

Notice that the images are "watermarked" with a "proof" statement. Note that if you right-mouse-click on the image, they are "protected" against "casual" theft. Note that I don't present the large or original sized images.

All of these things are provided by the code supplied by SmugMug or by software switches and settings of the SmugMug servers.

If you do a "View" and then "Page Source" with your browser, you may gain a better understanding of the code required to "protect" the images. There is nothing about the JPGs themselves which provides the protection, rather it is a "trick" of software, using your browser's features, that prevents the inadvertant copying of the image.

Unfortunately, there are still methods around this protection, which is why the watermark and not presenting the better quality images.

There is no "lock" available within the JPG image specification to provide this function. Only PDFs can provide an intrinsic protection against printing and changing, and it's not bulletproof either.

Now, can you tell us, David and myself especially, more about what you want to accomplish?

ziggy53

Ziggy & David,

really appreciate your input about my inquiry. the following are the answers to your questions :

1. The jpeg file is stored on our central database that can be accessed by different employees in the office.
    2. I'm afraid that someone might access the database then upload the file on the internet, which i don't want to.

I also check some sites on the net, they almost gave the same advise as Ziggy.

Hope that i was able to answer your questions. Then again, thanks for the input.
    edited August 23, 2006
    ryand70s wrote:
    ... I also check some sites on the net, they almost gave the same advise as Ziggy.

So the moral is start with SmugMug? Trust SmugMug? Believe in SmugMug?

Ooops, sorry, there should not be any question! thumb.gifD

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Remember, when you access a pic through your browser, it is downloaded to your PC. You can find such a pic by looking through your browser's cache, and save it from there, even if the Web page disabled the right-click context menu. Once you've saved it somewhere else, you can do what you like with it...

ne_nau.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    BigAl wrote:
    Remember, when you access a pic through your browser, it is downloaded to your PC. You can find such a pic by looking through your browser's cache, and save it from there, even if the Web page disabled the right-click context menu. Once you've saved it somewhere else, you can do what you like with it...

ne_nau.gif
    Which is one good reason to limit access to the "original" jpgs on SmugMug. If they can't view them, they don't get downloaded to the client PC. Not that I worry about such things. If someone wants to "steal" one or more of my pictures, more power to them, I'm not in it for the money - just the fame!
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    If someone wants to "steal" one or more of my pictures, more power to them, I'm not in it for the money - just the fame!

The problem is, that doesn't work out. If someone steals a picture and uses it for their own purposes without even crediting you, the fame goes to them, not to you.
    edited August 24, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    The problem is, that doesn't work out. If someone steals a picture and uses it for their own purposes without even crediting you, the fame goes to them, not to you.

... Unless Scott finds out who they are and strings the little b*st*rd up by the 'nads and the story makes the front page of the New York Times, then Scott gets the fame. thumb.gifrofl

ziggy53 (the "peacemaker", Colt Peacemaker 45, that is)
    ziggy53
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    ... Unless Scott finds out who they are and strings the little b*st*rd up by the 'nads and the story makes the front page of the New York Times, then Scott gets the fame. thumb.gifrofl

ziggy53 (the "peacemaker", Colt Peacemaker 45, that is)
    Good job Ziggy. You caught the toungue in cheek "humor" of my statementrolleyes1.gif . If you look at my "work" you will note that much, if not all, of it is really not worth stealing. Some of it is OK, but most of it is pretty pedestrian.