Challenge #72 STILLNESS

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited August 26, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
I posted the first one in the main topic but thought I would put the other here with it. Which do you like better for the theme?

90100233-L.jpg

or this one?

90100467-L.jpg

Thanks in Advance
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• rparigerparige Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Both Images are great

From Stillness point of view, I like the #2
    -RP
  • Zahid NiazZahid Niaz Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    I like the first one better! No doubt there is better stillness in #2, but photographically #1 appears to have more charm. I feel you can improve the stillness by reducing harsh light of sun on the left ... you can do it in PP or take the shot again in better light conditions, if possible.
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    I like # 1, Well Done!
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Bynver one works for methumb.gif

Number two is overexposed on the upper right and has distracting objects that ruin it for me.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Thanks for the comments
    Number 1 it is. It's funny how our perspectives change what we see...meaning: The second one (overexposed in the upper right corner) was what I thought to be way cool because of the magnificent sunset. Having had taken probably 30 some shots of the sunset alone then seeing it reflecting in the water was astounding (to me). That's what's so great about this forum. I would have never considered that being overexposed but instead part of the natural sunset making for a different type shot.

Thanks for taking the time to comment and letting me know. Heh, here's the sunset. Was a great night for shooting: BTW Here is another I was considering

90120256-L.jpg

The sunset

90116133-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Swartzy wrote:
    Number 1 it is. It's funny how our perspectives change what we see...meaning: The second one (overexposed in the upper right corner) was what I thought to be way cool because of the magnificent sunset. Having had taken probably 30 some shots of the sunset alone then seeing it reflecting in the water was astounding (to me). That's what's so great about this forum. I would have never considered that being overexposed but instead part of the natural sunset making for a different type shot.

Thanks for taking the time to comment and letting me know. Heh, here's the sunset. Was a great night for shooting: BTW Here is another I was considering

...for me....in #2 I was getting distracted by the dock and piece of wood/log in the shot, more so by the dock...it just cut into the picture. Honestly, I never noticed that the sunset was being reflected in the upper right. After your comments I went back to look, and it is pretty neat, but still overwhelmed by the dock (for me).

The other one you just posted with the whole sunset included with the lily pads...I like that one too...maybe better than the #1 lily pad you first posted. I like seeing the sunset, and it draws me into the reflection in the water, where I then notice the clouds being superbly reflected in the water.

cheers,
    Adrienne
    edited August 23, 2006
    Thanks Adrenne
    ajgauthier wrote:
    ...for me....in #2 I was getting distracted by the dock and piece of wood/log in the shot, more so by the dock...it just cut into the picture. Honestly, I never noticed that the sunset was being reflected in the upper right. After your comments I went back to look, and it is pretty neat, but still overwhelmed by the dock (for me).

The other one you just posted with the whole sunset included with the lily pads...I like that one too...maybe better than the #1 lily pad you first posted. I like seeing the sunset, and it draws me into the reflection in the water, where I then notice the clouds being superbly reflected in the water.

cheers,
    Adrienne
    You know, the more I look at this I like it. What I did here was removed the dock. I originally shot it with the dock for point of referrence but probably not necessary. Ok, number 2 is out. Here's a cropped version of the last...thanks so much!

90211835-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    you've got it!
    Swartzy wrote:
    You know, the more I look at this I like it. What I did here was removed the dock. I originally shot it with the dock for point of referrence but probably not necessary. Ok, number 2 is out. Here's a cropped version of the last...thanks so much!

yeah - I like it cropped like that too!

I feel really drawn into the lake/pond and how serene the moment is, and how 'still' I would be if I was actually there enjoying the moment.

well done!
    Adrienne
  • athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    the last one is great. the crop worked out well :D

you could really make it pop with some levels and some color adjustments in pp.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • Alaska shutterbugAlaska shutterbug Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    I like the last one as well. could you adjust the horizon just a smidgen? you could also crop just a little more sky and it would work (better in my opinion).
    edited August 23, 2006
    Thanks athos
    athos wrote:
    the last one is great. the crop worked out well :D

you could really make it pop with some levels and some color adjustments in pp.

This version is with levels, curves, color balance. I worked with it quite a bit and felt the combination shown was the best balance for mood and feel. Of course there are probably some other (more like alot) of neat tricks in PS I don't know how to do yet...but still learning. Thanks for the comments...I just went in and goofed a bit with it....nope...still the same..hehe.

OK....let's see some shots peoples! 1drink.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Swartzy wrote:
    This version is with levels, curves, color balance. I worked with it quite a bit and felt the combination shown was the best balance for mood and feel. Of course there are probably some other (more like alot) of neat tricks in PS I don't know how to do yet...but still learning. Thanks for the comments...I just went in and goofed a bit with it....nope...still the same..hehe.

OK....let's see some shots peoples! 1drink.gif

I like this one better too. One further suggestion - crop out more of the sky. I think it distracts from the tranquility because it is so bright. Nice work!thumb.gif
    edited August 24, 2006
    Thanks TomaS & Alaska
    Cropped. Now I see what you meant. Thanks for all the input.

90349611-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited August 25, 2006
    Swartzy wrote:
    Cropped. Now I see what you meant. Thanks for all the input.

I like it cropped, but am I the only one bothered by the not completely horizontal horizon??? The horizon is a little lower on the right than the left.
    edited August 25, 2006
    I agree Alaska
    I like it cropped, but am I the only one bothered by the not completely horizontal horizon??? The horizon is a little lower on the right than the left.
    That's the very first thing I noticed when taking the shots. I was leaning over the dock to the side....heh, trying not to fall in the water and keep the camera level. I fixed it here and posted the fixed version on the main topic challenge.

90581879-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
    edited August 25, 2006
    Thank you. like it.clap.gif
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    good work on your 'fixing'. clap.gif

I think this fits the theme perfectly - something that could be moving, but isn't. Rather than something static.
    Swartzy wrote:
    That's the very first thing I noticed when taking the shots. I was leaning over the dock to the side....heh, trying not to fall in the water and keep the camera level. I fixed it here and posted the fixed version on the main topic challenge.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....