how to mount Canon 2X extender

catlady13catlady13 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited August 26, 2006 in Cameras
This may sound like a dumb question but I have never had an extender before and just got my Canon digital and some lenses but I am trying to figure out if you put the extender onto the camera or the lens onto the camera and the extender on the end of the lens. I DO NOT want to do this wrong and screw up either the lens or the extender. It is a 2X extender going onto a 100-400 L lens. Thank you so much in advance.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 24, 2006
    While I think it's easier to mount the telextender onto the lens first, I am not aware that there is a correct way. I regularly change lenses and leave the telextender on the body, or take the lens plus telextender off the body to swap to another lens alone.

I am pretty good about turning off the camera first, but some folks don't even do that.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • andymillsonandymillson Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    catlady13 wrote:
    This may sound like a dumb question but I have never had an extender before and just got my Canon digital and some lenses but I am trying to figure out if you put the extender onto the camera or the lens onto the camera and the extender on the end of the lens. I DO NOT want to do this wrong and screw up either the lens or the extender. It is a 2X extender going onto a 100-400 L lens. Thank you so much in advance.

The extender goes between the lens and the Camera. The way I was told to use them, was to mount the extender to the lens first, and then mount the combination to the camera.

Bear in mind that with the 2x extender you will loose approximately 2 stops of light, and that autofocus might stop working, depending upon the max aperture of the original lens.

Hope this helps

Andy
    A Brit among the HAWKEYES
    Canon 5D Mk III
    Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
    My Galleries
  • catlady13catlady13 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 24, 2006
    Thanks everyone from a digital slr newby
    Gosh yes that helps so much . Before I got my 100-400 lens and the extender I had the idea it would go on the END of the lens meaning lens on camera and then adapter on the far end of the lens. BOY was I wrong. I was used to an old Canon Ae1 and after that got a little point and shoot so this Canon SLR is a huge change for me. I know I am going to have to use this setup in bright light and I was always used to manual focus with my old Canon anyway but I would just LOVE to get some bird pictures. Thanks all for your replies ,
    Linda aka catlady
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 25, 2006
    The 2x Canon extender is a little easier to mount to the lens first, and then to the body, because the front element of the 2x TC sticks out about 3/4 in and has to be inserted into the recess in the back of the telephoto lens. This is just a bit tricky to line up carefully, as you do not want to ding the protruding glass element of the TC.

You can do it in either order, and I do sometimes, but I think my suggestion is the safer alternative.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    The directions on my Canon 1.4 extender said to mount it to the lens first. :D
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 25, 2006
    You know guys never read the directions.

It goes against our genetic makeup!:):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    Yep, I'm well aware of that, Pathfinder!!!! :D