Canon's New EOS Rebel XTi

marklarry28marklarry28 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited August 29, 2006 in Cameras
RAISES RESOLUTION, INCREASES EASE, LOWERS COST AND LEAVES OTHER DIGITAL SLRS IN THE DUST

LAKE SUCCESS, Aug. 24, 2006 – Canon’s EOS Digital Rebel XT model – the camera that set all time sales records for digital SLRs of any persuasion (supplanting the original Digital Rebel’s claim to that title) – now takes its place alongside of the newest member of the irrepressible Rebel clan: the 10.1 megapixel EOS Digital Rebel XTi SLR camera. For 16 years, the Rebel brand has stood for advanced, sophisticated and easy-to-use. The new Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi camera continues that legacy, taking discriminating photo hobbyists, enthusiasts, advanced amateurs and SLR aficionados to places digital dreams are made of…and more economically than ever before.

“The EOS Digital Rebel XTi camera continues to lead the way with impressive innovations and an array of advancements simply not found on other digital SLRs in the sub-$1,000 price-range,” stated Yukiaki Hashimoto, senior vice president and general manager of the consumer imaging group at Canon USA, Inc. “Canon technology is born of inspiration, imagination and our passion to help photographers make the best pictures possible. Nowhere is the combination of undeniable quality and value more evident than on this new EOS Digital Rebel XTi camera.”

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/canon_08242006_rebelxti_pr.html
Mark
Canon

Comments

• Cyber6Cyber6 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    wow !!
    xtiagb4.jpg
    xtibdu0.jpg
    * 10.1 effective Megapixel CMOS sensor
    * New dust reduction system:
    1) ultrasonic waves blast dust off the low pass sensor;
    2) low pass filter split into two parts to keep the dust further from
    the sensor;
    3) front of low pass filter now has anti-static charge
    * Users can also create a "dust map" (Canon calls it Dust Delete Data) for dust that just won't go away; this information is saved in metadata, and the bundled Digital Photography Professional 2.2 software can remove it from your photos
    * 2.5" LCD display (with 230k pixels)
    * LCD info display has gone away; shooting info now shown on LCD; when you put your eye to the viewfinder, the screen goes dark automatically
    * Now has 9-point autofocus versus 7-point on the Rebel XT
    * Improved burst mode compared to Rebel XT: now takes up to 10 RAW or 27 JPEG images (still at 3 fps)
    * Inherits the Picture Styles menu and RGB histogram from the EOS-5D and EOS-30D
    * Same body design (and colors) as Rebel XT -- very hard to tell them apart; compatible with all Rebel XT accessories, including the battery grip
    * Still uses DIGIC II processor and CompactFlash
    * USB 2.0 High Speed supported
    * Ships mid-September for $799USD body only or $899USD with the same 18-55 EF-S lens that comes with the Rebel XT

resisting... temptation ... resisting .. bowdown.gif
    ~~ Never argue with an idiot -- he will drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.~~
  • bphillybphilly Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    the dust removal system sounds neat
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Tempting, very tempting, and glad they are doing something about dust but since my XT is less than a year old I am going to get some more use out of it and skip the XTi generation.

Maybe by the next generation, they'll actually put the ISO in the viewfinder. I'd buy that one.

BTW...there is a YouTube movie of the dust removal system here (scroll down a bit).
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited August 24, 2006
    Can an improved 30D (40D?) be very far away?

So... how is MaxMax going to IR-convert the 400 with the new sensor covering doodads in front of it? ne_nau.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ballentphotoballentphoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    I'm a Nikon guy, so I am not familiar with Canon offerings, but where is the top LCD? Did the previous D-Rebel have it, or is it not there as well? headscratch.gif I think the new Sony did away with the top LCD as well. Is this a new direction in the DSLR market? That dust removal thing seems like a cool idea though.
    -Michael
    Just take the picture :):
    Pictures are at available at:http://www.ballentphoto.com

My Blog: http://ballentphoto.blogspot.com
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Didnt we already have a thread running about this ? headscratch.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Finally...my next camera
    I've been waiting....here it is...for my kind of shooting, this is the camera...ok....who's got them???? I'm ready right now rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited August 25, 2006
    I'm a Nikon guy, so I am not familiar with Canon offerings, but where is the top LCD?

The current Rebel XT doesn't have a top LCD. Out of curiosity, what is the advantage of the top LCD? I've used a top LCD on my Nikon film body, but it meant that to switch from looking through the viewfinder to inspecting the top LCD, I either had to flip the camera 90 degrees or lower it a ways. With all of Canon's info on the back LCD only, I only have to push the camera a little bit further away from the face, no flipping or dipping required. I can see a use for a top LCD if you have a viewfinder that you look down on, but my Nikon and Canon are so low-end they don't take alternate viewfinders. I thought it was nice that the top LCD was done away with.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    The current Rebel XT doesn't have a top LCD. Out of curiosity, what is the advantage of the top LCD? I've used a top LCD on my Nikon film body, but it meant that to switch from looking through the viewfinder to inspecting the top LCD, I either had to flip the camera 90 degrees or lower it a ways. With all of Canon's info on the back LCD only, I only have to push the camera a little bit further away from the face, no flipping or dipping required. I can see a use for a top LCD if you have a viewfinder that you look down on, but my Nikon and Canon are so low-end they don't take alternate viewfinders. I thought it was nice that the top LCD was done away with.
    I like having the top lcd on my 20D. For me it is much easier to change settings quickly with. I also have an XT and find the controls a bit awkward.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited August 25, 2006
    colourbox wrote:

On my camera (D200) I can quickly look at the histogram on the back after the shot and make quick adjustments by looking at the top LCD, I an also adjust the EV comp quickly. I do not know what it would take to do the same functionality on the Canon, I would imagine having to hit some button to switch between shutter speed, and last pic taken then to histogram, or perhaps (like my camera) the camera stays in show histogram mode, but I would imagine that at least one would have to hit some button to switch between the shutter/aperture info and the histo, after every shot until it's dialed in.

One other thing that intrigues me, it appears that the ergos seem to change from body class to body class. I am I wrong? Not trying to do any baiting, but curious. I adore the ergos on my camera, but it seems like as one buys different bodies there appears to be drastic changes in Canon bodies. TIA
    -Michael

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    One other thing that intrigues me, it appears that the ergos seem to change from body class to body class. I am I wrong? Not trying to do any baiting, but curious. I adore the ergos on my camera, but it seems like as one buys different bodies there appears to be drastic changes in Canon bodies. TIA
    I think its like cars. They bring a new one out that looks the cats pyjamas & 18 months later its replaced with another that now looks the cats pyjamas. Some people just like to drive around in 1970 model cars thats all...no harm in that.
    edited August 25, 2006
    On my camera (D200) I can quickly look at the histogram on the back after the shot and make quick adjustments by looking at the top LCD, I an also adjust the EV comp quickly. I do not know what it would take to do the same functionality on the Canon

The way it works on the XT is that you see the histogram on the main LCD display on the back, and the shutter speed, aperture, and EV are readable on a simpler alphanumeric LCD display right above the main display on the same side of the camera (the back), instead of having to check both the back and top. To adjust the exposure compensation on the XT, you would press your thumb on the AV button next to the upper LCD while spinning the top wheel with your index finger, and the upper LCD shows your changes to the exposure compensation.

Basically there is no need to ever look at the top of the camera except to change the main mode dial, which is infrequently.

In this new XTi, it looks like Canon is going to merge the functions of the two LCDs on the back into the one huge LCD. Don't yet know how that changes the readout and adjustment ergonomics in the scenario we're talking about. DPReview.com has a picture of the new XTi back, showing the exposure compensation but not the histogram. I hope they aren't making it worse!

Now, in looking at the Nikon D80 pictures on dpreview, I do like the idea of having buttons on the top of the camera. The D80 buttons by the shutter look easier to intuitively feel while shooting, rather than the Canon buttons which pretty much require you to pull away from the viewfinder and look at the back.
    edited August 25, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    The way it works on the XT is that you see the histogram on the main LCD display on the back, and the shutter speed, aperture, and EV are readable on a simpler alphanumeric LCD display right above the main display on the same side of the camera (the back), instead of having to check both the back and top. To adjust the exposure compensation on the XT, you would press your thumb on the AV button next to the upper LCD while spinning the top wheel with your index finger, and the upper LCD shows your changes to the exposure compensation.

Basically there is no need to ever look at the top of the camera except to change the main mode dial, which is infrequently.

In this new XTi, it looks like Canon is going to merge the functions of the two LCDs on the back into the one huge LCD. Don't yet know how that changes the readout and adjustment ergonomics in the scenario we're talking about. DPReview.com has a picture of the new XTi back, showing the exposure compensation but not the histogram. I hope they aren't making it worse!

Now, in looking at the Nikon D80 pictures on dpreview, I do like the idea of having buttons on the top of the camera. The D80 buttons by the shutter look easier to intuitively feel while shooting than the Canon buttons which pretty much require you to pull away from the viewfinder and look at the back.

This is why I was asking, since coming from a Nikon film body and now the Nikon D200 I am pretty used the way Nikon lays things out. Yeah they do switch some things around a little just to get you to upgrade, but for the most part they do not change things around much. I have been interested in the 5D, and I understand that I can still attach Nikon glass, but most of the functionality of the lens goes away (is that correct?) I finally got a VR lens and have fallen in love with its capabilities, and Canon has a boat load of IS lenses, compared to Nikon umph.gif especially that 17-55 IS (which I have the Nikon flavor sans VR) Never thought that I would need it for wide angle but after using it I can really see how handy it can be.
    -Michael

• mrmattmrmatt Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Suddenly my 10D is crying to be upgraded.
    Misc equip : Canon 610, Canon 10D, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
  • Red JRed J Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    colourbox wrote:

My major concern is that you'll use the LCD all the time, that it will have to be powered constantly. And that will tend to do a number on the battery.

I prefer a top LCD.
  • I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    mrmatt wrote:
    Suddenly my 10D is crying to be upgraded.

wait for the 40D then ;-)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    This camera looks like is going to be a great new version of the Canon SLR entry line. Good features and excellent image quality. Someone moving up from a point-and-shoot can't lose going with this SLR.

Erich
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    is the XTi the same camera as the 400d, but with a different name?
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Yes. AFAIK XTi is US market, 400D is everywhere else.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Yes. AFAIK XTi is US market, 400D is everywhere else.
    thumb.gif thanks.