gallery within a gallery?

cdhamescdhames Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
edited August 28, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Can I do this? Is there any way to create galleries within a gallery? I have one subject but multiple sections to that subject that i'd like to keep seperate, but under one starting point.
SM Page: cdhames.smugmug.com
Referral: ( wXtCbmTTvmJSE )

Comments

• bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 24, 2006
    cdhames wrote:
    Can I do this? Is there any way to create galleries within a gallery? I have one subject but multiple sections to that subject that i'd like to keep seperate, but under one starting point.
    you can create a custom category or subcategory for that subject, then put galleries in that cat/subcat.

so if your subject was cheese, you could have a category of cheese, then have a swiss gallery, cheddar gallery etc.

there's a link for custom categories in your control panel
    Pedal faster
  • AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    you can create a custom category or subcategory for that subject, then put galleries in that cat/subcat.

so if your subject was cheese, you could have a category of cheese, then have a swiss gallery, cheddar gallery etc.

there's a link for custom categories in your control panel

... and now you can create a category (and subcategory) when you create a new gallery! deal.gif

-Anne
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    ... and now you can create a category (and subcategory) when you create a new gallery! deal.gif

-Anne
    mwink.gif HEY! Now that's handy! More goodness like that please thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Day 1, Day 2..etc
    AnneMcBean wrote:

-Anne
    Would creating custom categories (trip to Cancun, or Bob & Sally's Wedding) and sub categories (Day 1, Day 2, Day 3; The Ceremony, The Bridesmaids, The Cake-cutting, The Toast) be a suitable way have "sub-galleries" within a major gallery?...and could/would they display at the main gallery page like a table of contents for the gallery? Are these really practical examples of what BigWebGuy and you are describing?
    edited August 25, 2006
    papajay wrote:
    Would creating custom categories (trip to Cancun, or Bob & Sally's Wedding) and sub categories (Day 1, Day 2, Day 3; The Ceremony, The Bridesmaids, The Cake-cutting, The Toast) be a suitable way have "sub-galleries" within a major gallery?...and could/would they display at the main gallery page like a table of contents for the gallery? Are these really practical examples of what BigWebGuy and you are describing?

You have your choice between having one, two or three levels visible to your visitors.

Someone used a cheese example the other day that I liked. Say you have lots of pictures of cheese and lots of pictures of other stuff. You might want a category called "Cheese". Then, you could set up subcategories of "Hard Cheeses" "Soft Cheeses" and "Stinky Cheeses". Then your gallery called "Gouda" would fit nicely along with "Cream cheese" (is that really a cheese? headscratch.gif) under the category "Cheese" and the subcategory "soft cheeses".

3 levels:
    If you display categories on your SmugMug homepage, Cheese would show up there. Clicking on it would take you to a page displaying "Hard Cheese" "Soft cheeses" and "stinky cheeses" and clicking on "Soft cheeses" would take you to a page displaying the galleries "Gouda" and "Cream cheese". Clicking on one of the galleries would take you to the pictures. That's a lot of clicks so you'd have to be serious about cheese to use all three levels.

2 levels: Don't assign Gouda and Cream Cheese to a subcategory. Just assign them to Cheese. Then a click on "cheese" in your homepage takes you straight to a page showing "Gouda" and "Cream cheese" galleries.. along with parmesan, cheddar and roquefort.

1 level: Categorize (and subcategorize) however you'd like, but choose to display galleries instead of categories on your homepage. Cream Cheese and Gouda would sit right there on your homepage for all to see... mwink.gif

-Anne
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    papajay wrote:

try this for example:

Click here, then select "Weddings" Category.... then click on "Ours" subcategory for more galleries...

this one has galleries within the Weddings Category, also there is a subcategory ("Ours"), with galleries within that...

http://dmcpics.smugmug.com/
    edited August 25, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    try this for example:

Click here, then select Weddings Category.... this one has subcategories...

Well, ok. If you want to make it EASY and take cheese out of the picture...rolleyes1.gif

-Anne
    edited August 25, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    try this for example:

Click here, then select "Weddings" Category.... then click on "Ours" subcategory for more galleries...

this one has galleries within the Weddings Category, also there is a subcategory ("Ours"), with galleries within that...

dmc is one of my hero's!!!....thanks, David for the example. I went to your site right away, but had to WAIT 4-EVER for the page(s) to load!!! (same thing happened this morning when I did a simple keyword search in one of my own galleries).

I think I get the sub category idea. I'll have to play around with it....if I truly "get it", it looks like I could have a subcategory of "Day 1", and one for "Day 2", for example, that could be used for multiple vacation trips, and not have to create a custom sub-catergory for every Day 1 of every vacation trip, right?

Someone (don't recall who...from New York) had a really nice Day 1, Day2 ...etc format in her travel gallery which was embedded and linked in the first page of the gallery like a table of contents which looked really cool...but it looked a bit over my head technically to try to set it up.

Think I'll try your approach. Thanks
    edited August 25, 2006
    papajay wrote:
    ...I think I get the sub category idea. I'll have to play around with it....if I truly "get it", it looks like I could have a subcategory of "Day 1", and one for "Day 2", for example, that could be used for multiple vacation trips, and not have to create a custom sub-catergory for every Day 1 of every vacation trip, right?...
    almost!

kind of depends how many pics that would end up in each gallery for me to make the decision... in my example, if I tried to put everything from engagement to honeymoon in one gallery, that is too many pics. But if day 1 and day 2, etc is only a few pics per gallery, that might not be the best way either. Don't worry about having to create lots of subcategories... remember, subcategories have galleries in them... so when you say Day 1, Day 2, those would probably be Galleries within a subcategory called "My summer vacation"

Think of a subcategory as a Gallery that needs Galleries within it.

You can have a combination of the following:
    Home / Category / Galleries
    Home / Category / Sub Category / Galleries

or...

Home / Vacations / My summer Vacation / Day 1 (gallery)
    Home / Vacations / My summer Vacation / Day 2 (gallery)
    Home / Vacations / My summer Vacation / Day 3 (gallery)
    Home / Vacations / River Trip (gallery)
    Home / Vacations / Hawaii excursion / Maui (gallery)
    Home / Vacations / Hawaii excursion / Oahu (gallery)

In these examples, "My summer Vacation" and "Hawaii excursion" are subcategories of the "Vacations" category
    edited August 25, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    almost!

kind of depends how many pics that would end up in each gallery for me to make the decision... in my example, if I tried to put everything from engagement to honeymoon in one gallery, that is too many pics. But if day 1 and day 2, etc is only a few pics per gallery, that might not be the best way either. Don't worry about having to create lots of subcategories... remember, subcategories have galleries in them... so when you say Day 1, Day 2, those would probably be Galleries within a subcategory called "My summer vacation"

Think of a subcategory as a Gallery that needs Galleries within it.

You can have a combination of the following:
    Home / Category / Galleries
    Home / Category / Sub Category / Galleries

or...

Home / Vacations / My summer Vacation / Day 1 (gallery)
    Home / Vacations / My summer Vacation / Day 2 (gallery)
    Home / Vacations / My summer Vacation / Day 3 (gallery)
    Home / Vacations / River Trip (gallery)
    Home / Vacations / Hawaii excursion / Maui (gallery)
    Home / Vacations / Hawaii excursion / Oahu (gallery)

In these examples, "My summer Vacation" and "Hawaii excursion" are subcategories of the "Vacations" category

glad I asked...thanks...the examples help!
    edited August 26, 2006
    Subcategories are a "cool tool".
    Wasn't too difficult...here' my first attempt:

Under the Category = Weddings, I created a subcategory named "Dawn and John" then a gallery for each major phase of the event:

http://papajay.smugmug.com/Weddings/224075

One advantage I learned is that by splitting it up into several galleries, you get a chance to put a more appropriate description at the top of each gallery (with a single HUGE gallery, you only get ONE description which repeats ad-nauseum at the top of every page when using Journal style).
    edited August 26, 2006
    papajay wrote:
    Wasn't too difficult...here' my first attempt:

Under the Category = Weddings, I created a subcategory named "Dawn and John" then a gallery for each major phase of the event:

you got it... thumb.gif

the wedding among the giant redwoods is something I never would have imagined... awesome.
    edited August 27, 2006
    Navigating from one "sub-gallery" to the next
    Learning as I go....this might end up in a "feature request" at some point.

I set up my first serious use of subcategories today using the following format:
    Category/subcategory/gallery1
    Category/subcategory/gallery2
    etc.

Mine happened to be my nieces wedding, so the "actual" format is, for:
    Wedding/Dawn and John/"Getting to the Church"

What I immediately discovered following my intial set up was that navigating from one gallery to the next within the Dawn and John wedding was a bit clunky because I had to keep going back to the "Dawn and John" subcategory page to select the next "sub-gallery". Before splitting a large gallery up into bite-sized chunks, one could start at the beginning and go all the way through to the very last image without having to "back-up" along the way.

After some experimenting, I found that by inserting a link to Gallery2 at the end of the caption for the last picture in Gallery1, all it took was a single click to get to Gallery2 directly from the end of Gallery1.

Adding a link to a caption isn't pretty, and it takes some fidgeting to get them to look half-way aestheticly acceptable....but the end result is a smoother transition from one "sub-gallery" within a major gallery (Sub-Catgegory, actually) to the next "sub-gallery".

Here's what I ended-up with:

So, here's the question for the experts...is there an easier way to accomplish this? If there isn't, could a future feature enhancement that would allow the gallery creator to "flip a switch" somehow that would add a fucntional, but unobtrusive "Next Gallery>" link (similar to the "Next Gallery PAGE>" functionality that already exists) with the last picture or at the end of the last page of a sub-gallery?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    papajay wrote:
    Learning as I go....this might end up in a "feature request" at some point.

I set up my first serious use of subcategories today using the following format:
    Category/subcategory/gallery1
    Category/subcategory/gallery2
    etc.

Mine happened to be my nieces wedding, so the "actual" format is, for:
    Wedding/Dawn and John/"Getting to the Church"

What I immediately discovered following my intial set up was that navigating from one gallery to the next within the Dawn and John wedding was a bit clunky because I had to keep going back to the "Dawn and John" subcategory page to select the next "sub-gallery". Before splitting a large gallery up into bite-sized chunks, one could start at the beginning and go all the way through to the very last image without having to "back-up" along the way.

After some experimenting, I found that by inserting a link to Gallery2 at the end of the caption for the last picture in Gallery1, all it took was a single click to get to Gallery2 directly from the end of Gallery1.

Adding a link to a caption isn't pretty, and it takes some fidgeting to get them to look half-way aestheticly acceptable....but the end result is a smoother transition from one "sub-gallery" within a major gallery (Sub-Catgegory, actually) to the next "sub-gallery".

Here's what I ended-up with:

So, here's the question for the experts...is there an easier way to accomplish this? If there isn't, could a future feature enhancement that would allow the gallery creator to "flip a switch" somehow that would add a fucntional, but unobtrusive "Next Gallery>" link (similar to the "Next Gallery PAGE>" functionality that already exists) with the last picture or at the end of the last page of a sub-gallery?
    Papa, you can put links to all the other galleries in your Album Description if you wish. Piece of cake :)

http://www.smugmug.com/help/web-photo-albums
    edited August 28, 2006
    You might make an HTML "expert" out of me yet!
    Andy wrote:
    Papa, you can put links to all the other galleries in your Album Description if you wish. Piece of cake :)

Thanks Andy....did not "get it" at first, but googled some "Basic HTML" pages on the web and developed a better understanding. I did not put links in the Album description as you suggested (only because I still didn't really "get it" at the time*) But I did relplace the ugly "[URL="http:///yadda,yaaddaaURLaddress"]httX:///yadda,yaaddaaURLaddress[/URL]" with more reader-friendly "Next Gallery" link descriptions....HUGE aesthetic improvement...at the end of the last caption within each "sub-gallery".

*Now I "get it"...just haven't tried it.
    Guess I'll have to learn about NAV bars next.

Thanks for your help. Papajay
    edited August 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:

great idea... that way the user will always have the links available (on every page)