Options

Usa Vat

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited December 2, 2004 in The Big Picture
I'm hoping to come over to NY to visit my brother in the new year :beer. While I'm there I want to take advantage of the favourable dollar/stirling rates (almost 2-1) and get a lens (or 2 :D ). Forgive my ingnorance but how does the VAT work from state to state, I have to admit to being a little confused :confused

I think/hope the price differential will pay for the trip even taking the UK VAT into account.

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I'm hoping to come over to NY to visit my brother in the new year beer.gif. While I'm there I want to take advantage of the favourable dollar/stirling rates (almost 2-1) and get a lens (or 2 :D ). Forgive my ingnorance but how does the VAT work from state to state, I have to admit to being a little confused :confused

I think/hope the price differential will pay for the trip even taking the UK VAT into account.
    we dont have a value added tax gubbs .. if you buy your lens online here you'll just pay shipping and sometimes depending on the company not even shipping.. Hubby thinks tax in NY is 7% state tax in New Hampshire it's nothing in Massachusetts it's 5% so it would best to buy online. Have it shipped to Andy or me (if you dare) and then you pick it up tax free. Any time you want to do that Gubbs I'll be happy to help out.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    I'm hoping to come over to NY to visit my brother in the new year beer.gif. While I'm there I want to take advantage of the favourable dollar/stirling rates (almost 2-1) and get a lens (or 2 :D ). Forgive my ingnorance but how does the VAT work from state to state, I have to admit to being a little confused :confused

buy from b&h and have the gear shipped to non-ny state address and there will be no tax. take it home in your bags. no vat. no sales tax.

when will you be coming? we need to shoot up nyc for a day deal.gif
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2004
    gubbs wrote:

Sales tax in NY is 7%. The only way to avoid it if buying on the internet is to have it shipped to an address outside NY, which is a pain if that's where you're staying. But even with the 7% you'll save sooooooo much money. My gran lives out there and I'm ready for a BIG shop next time I head over.

Pop into b and h (that's bhphotovideo.com), and you'll just wet yourself (can I say that on a US site?). I came out of there with twice the gear I planned.

I have heard, that some people who would seek to avoid import taxes unpack ANYTHING they buy out of it's boxes, and mail themselves the empty boxes, warranties and receipts! Hence removing any evidence that the items in their luggage were purchased in the US. deal.gif Especially since London customs are very punchy at the moment. Of course this sort of thing is technically illegial, and I would not condone or encourage this sort of thing in any way.

Also be sure to pay the little bit extra for international warranties. You'll be VERY unhappy if you're stuck in the UK with a US warranty and something goes wrong.

Last year I DID manage to save the cost of my flights.. sort of depends how much you're planning to buy.
    Happy Shopping!
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2004
    One other thing.

Watch out for US internet sites that have really aggressive prices. They have a very frequent practice over there of the initial price being intended to lure you in so that you buy other stuff, and they can become very aggressive if you don't want anything else. E.g. Not, "one 10d is it, sir, that'll be uor pleasure", but "what else do you want with your bargain price 10d... batteries? lenses? Nothing??? What, just the body???" Click. Line Dead.umph.gif

The reason why you find yourself on the phone with them in the first place, is because most US sites will not accept European credit cards for security reasons. Even though you might think that your VISA is perfectly international, it IS if you're there with it in person.. you may struggle on the web.

And also if you're only there for a certain window of time you need to be sure that the company you buy from online has a good rep for delivery (there are lots of sites where you check out shop reps), you don't want to go there and find your gear arrives after you leave.

Just my experiences...
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2004
    andy wrote:
    buy from b&h and have the gear shipped to non-ny state address and there will be no tax. take it home in your bags. no vat. no sales tax.

when will you be coming? we need to shoot up nyc for a day deal.gif
    That explains it! My brother bought my 8080 for me over the internet (he lives in NY State) and still got stung for the 7%.

I can't give dates yet as we've got a couple of things to sort out. All being well though, we're hoping April/May. I'm definitley up for some shooting & eating though
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    we dont have a value added tax gubbs .. if you buy your lens online here you'll just pay shipping and sometimes depending on the company not even shipping.. Hubby thinks tax in NY is 7% state tax in New Hampshire it's nothing in Massachusetts it's 5% so it would best to buy online. Have it shipped to Andy or me (if you dare) and then you pick it up tax free. Any time you want to do that Gubbs I'll be happy to help out.
    Thanks Lynn
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2004
    yvonne wrote:
    One other thing.

Watch out for US internet sites that have really aggressive prices. They have a very frequent practice over there of the initial price being intended to lure you in so that you buy other stuff, and they can become very aggressive if you don't want anything else. E.g. Not, "one 10d is it, sir, that'll be uor pleasure", but "what else do you want with your bargain price 10d... batteries? lenses? Nothing??? What, just the body???" Click. Line Dead.umph.gif

The reason why you find yourself on the phone with them in the first place, is because most US sites will not accept European credit cards for security reasons. Even though you might think that your VISA is perfectly international, it IS if you're there with it in person.. you may struggle on the web.

And also if you're only there for a certain window of time you need to be sure that the company you buy from online has a good rep for delivery (there are lots of sites where you check out shop reps), you don't want to go there and find your gear arrives after you leave.

Just my experiences...
    Thanks Yvonne, I've heard all about the Brooklyn photo shops.
    I'm sure my brother will sort out the payments for me :D
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2004
    Gubbs, Andy, Lynn
    My wife and I were hoping to make it to NY in late april also. It would be fun to have a little get together and put some faces with some names and of course put away some grub thumb.gif Let me know gubbs if you get a date in mind

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....