Chicago air show attempt

1ibandit1ibandit Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited September 2, 2006 in Holy Macro
Some day I will get good glass... many more at www.1ibandit.com

I shot 100% manual mode, some times it paid off other times it didn't.

90351766-M.jpg
1iBandit
"Take what is given, and steal the rest."

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    You've got some good ones there - B-1, sltealth fighter, 4 plane Air Force Heritage Flight (P-51, F-4, F-15, F-16), and of course the Blue Angels. Looks like a great show! I have to say I was a bit thrown off by all the beach photos in the beginning though...:D

Full manual is tough at air shows, at least for me. The conditions change very rapidly - I have used Av mode and it seems to suit me. Maybe give it a try at next year's show.

Also there's a blue color cast to some of the images; the shot you posted above has a bit of it. The Blue Angels are a pretty rich blue and gold, this one's a little too baby blue. That can be fixed pretty easily with editing software if you are into that sort of thing.

You may not have "good glass" but you did a fine job with what you had. thumb.gif
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    You got some good shots in there. I think shooting manual in this situation is not the best. Many of your shots look overexposed. The light was changing very rapidly, from cloudy to midday sun. I used Av and it did a good job. It looks like you were in the same area I was but I was further back from the beach in front of the North Beach concesion stand. I'm still going through mine from Sunday but if you want to take a look they are in these galleries. You definitely got a better angle on the jet skiers than I did.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • 1ibandit1ibandit Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    You've got some good ones there - B-1, sltealth fighter, 4 plane Air Force Heritage Flight (P-51, F-4, F-15, F-16), and of course the Blue Angels. Looks like a great show! I have to say I was a bit thrown off by all the beach photos in the beginning though...:D

Full manual is tough at air shows, at least for me. The conditions change very rapidly - I have used Av mode and it seems to suit me. Maybe give it a try at next year's show.

Also there's a blue color cast to some of the images; the shot you posted above has a bit of it. The Blue Angels are a pretty rich blue and gold, this one's a little too baby blue. That can be fixed pretty easily with editing software if you are into that sort of thing.

You may not have "good glass" but you did a fine job with what you had. thumb.gif

Thanks for the comments.. I just uploaded all the pictures I took that day. I will be moving the others, beach/sea show to areas more fitting.

My lens is just the 75-300 4-5.6 and didn't do to bad. The reason I went full manual is after reading on how to shot an air show I found that there is no perfect setting so I picked manual so I had a better chance of being under exp. Next show if I don't have my good glass I will rent some..
    1iBandit
    edited August 25, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    You got some good shots in there. I think shooting manual in this situation is not the best. Many of your shots look overexposed. The light was changing very rapidly, from cloudy to midday sun. I used Av and it did a good job. It looks like you were in the same area I was but I was further back from the beach in front of the North Beach concesion stand. I'm still going through mine from Sunday but if you want to take a look they are in these galleries. You definitely got a better angle on the jet skiers than I did.

We make it a day at the beach.. left wisconsin at 5:15 to get the best spot we could. We don't go center stage, because I think being off center is better for most of the shots.

I checked out some of your shots, and they look real nice. Are they right from the camera, or edited some. I have started to play with some of mine, but I don't post one's that I have edited most of the time.. Also what camera, and lenses did you have?
    1iBandit
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    I shot in RAW and did minor editing including slight exposure adjustment and sharpening. All the shots except the F-16 were either full frame or close to it. The F-16 is about a 50% crop. I used a 20D with either the 400 f/5.6 or 300 f/4 IS. I also used the Tamron 1.4TC on a lot of the shots.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    :): Great keep posting
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    1ibandit wrote:
    Some day I will get good glass... many more at www.1ibandit.com

I shot 100% manual mode, some times it paid off other times it didn't.

You did pretty good 1ibandit...... I see some folks have already commented about your images below.

You soon discover very quickly at these Airshows what lenses you need don't you eek7.gif ...... I had nothing wide enough, and nothing long enough when I went last year.

I put it down to experience, next time I go I now know a lot more than I did the last time I attempted to shoot planes in the sky :D

Thanks for sharing your experience..... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    Nice shots from both of you - beach shows can be tough to shoot, it can be hard to get a good close spot, the light off the water can cause some "interesting" reflections, there is always someone with an umbrella getting in your line of vision...I shoot a lot of aircraft, and normally use Av mode. I'm shooting with a 300D, and usually have the 100-400L IS mounted. If the light is decent, I shoot at about f 7.1 or 8.0 at ISO 100, and like to underexpose 1/3 of a stop if it's a bright sky (sometimes even 2/3). That gives me a shutter speed around 1/500. That's usually sufficient for most subjects, but I may use a faster shutter speed for real fast-movers, or slow it down to get some prop blur on warbirds or helicopters.

Here are some shots from the Jones Beach (Long Island) air show this past Memorial Day weekend. The light was horrible - high over head, hazy skies, but I'm happy with most of them.
    edited August 27, 2006
    moose135 wrote:
    Nice shots from both of you - beach shows can be tough to shoot, it can be hard to get a good close spot, the light off the water can cause some "interesting" reflections, there is always someone with an umbrella getting in your line of vision...I shoot a lot of aircraft, and normally use Av mode. I'm shooting with a 300D, and usually have the 100-400L IS mounted. If the light is decent, I shoot at about f 7.1 or 8.0 at ISO 100, and like to underexpose 1/3 of a stop if it's a bright sky (sometimes even 2/3). That gives me a shutter speed around 1/500. That's usually sufficient for most subjects, but I may use a faster shutter speed for real fast-movers, or slow it down to get some prop blur on warbirds or helicopters.

Here are some shots from the Jones Beach (Long Island) air show this past Memorial Day weekend. The light was horrible - high over head, hazy skies, but I'm happy with most of them.

Moose:
    Real nice pictures... are most of them croped? Also I love when the planes are on the gound.. at the chicago air show you only get to see them in the air...

man I need real glass... Oh come on chrismas.....
    1iBandit
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    1ibandit wrote:
    Moose:
    Real nice pictures... are most of them croped? Also I love when the planes are on the gound.. at the chicago air show you only get to see them in the air...

man I need real glass... Oh come on chrismas.....
    Thanks...some of the shots of the smaller aircraft are cropped, but nothing major. We got there around 7am, and staked out a spot close to the water, plus the 100-400 helps bring them in.

The bad thing about beach shows (well, besides getting sand in your camera!) is not having a static display to go along with the air show. With the Jones Beach show being two days, several of us staked out Republic Airport one day, where the Blue Angels and most other performers staged out of, to get some take off/landing shots, as well as the ramp shots of the Blues, then headed to the beach the next day.
  • Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    Hi 1ibandit. Nice shot posted and great shots in your gallery. Your Blue Angels pictures look almost the same as the ones I caught in Atlantic City two weeks ago. I quess it's same routine, different city for them.:D