Mirimar Airshow, CA 2005

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited August 26, 2006 in Holy Macro
My first attempt at airshow photography. I'm not sure I'd attend these regularly, but it was fun to attend and try to shoot them at least once.

Walking the wing.
40325110-M.jpg

B2
40464949-M.jpg

Forgot who these guys are
40325151-M.jpg

Blue Angels
40325194-M.jpg
40325195-M.jpg
40325199-M.jpg
40470961-M.jpg

C/C welcome
The whole gallery is here. http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/889890

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Nice set! The B-2 is nearly impossible to get, all black in a bright sky. I see the Shockwave jet truck was there, that thing is pretty cool too.

Air shows can be a long day, but I love them. Haven't made one this year (we got rained out) - thanks for posting these. thumb.gif
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Tee Why wrote:
    My first attempt at airshow photography. I'm not sure I'd attend these regularly, but it was fun to attend and try to shoot them at least once.

Thanks for posting these.. and so timely too. I was just thinking about going to the Mirimar Airshow this year and your photos are inspiring!

What did you use to shoot them?
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    BeachBill wrote:
    Thanks for posting these.. and so timely too. I was just thinking about going to the Mirimar Airshow this year and your photos are inspiring!

What did you use to shoot them?

1DMark IIN with a Sigma 50-500
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Nice set! The B-2 is nearly impossible to get, all black in a bright sky. I see the Shockwave jet truck was there, that thing is pretty cool too.

Air shows can be a long day, but I love them. Haven't made one this year (we got rained out) - thanks for posting these. thumb.gif

Jet truck? I thought it was just a big backfire!
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Weldone superb work !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Oh YEAHH!!! Bring it on!!! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

My last (and only) visit was Miramar Airshow 2000. All my pictures were on throw-away cameras then. I may have to digitize those sometime.

I tried to attend the 2001 show there, but it ended up being really, REALLY not a good year for one. If they'd have scheduled it around August or before September 11, it would have happened. But it was scheduled for October...
    Steve-o
  • FrankieAngFrankieAng Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Very nice series of images, Tom. I just looked at the internet advertisment for this year's Miramar Show and it is impressive. I sure wish that I could attend, it looks like the best show in the country. You did a great job shooting the Blue Angels...nice composition and colors.
    Frank
    (Pbase supporter) www.pbase.com/eng45ine
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    Tee Why wrote:

Walking the wing.
    B2
    Forgot who these guys are
    Blue Angels
    C/C welcome
    The whole gallery is here. http://tomyi.smugmug.com/gallery/889890

Heyyyyyyyy these are real nice :D I love the formation flying shots.

The wing walker is pretty impressive.

I so want a free ticket to the Air Show at Avalon next year rolleyes1.gif
    Air Shows are something everyone needs to see, up until last year I'd never been to one, but now I am looking forward to the next one.

Thanks for showing us your great shots ..... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    I really like the detail on the underside of the B2. Nice work. I wish it had a bit more room to the left, but sometimes that's what you get with air shots.

When I lived in Seattle the Blue Angels would come by every year. Great show. They would buzz the city for the whole week and (almost) everyone loved it. I wish I'd had digital back then....

Cool shots.
    Chris