Casual Portrait

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited August 27, 2006 in People
My husband hates being photographed. He gets so stiff in front of the camera that it's almost not worth trying. He just had his 65th birthday. (he doesn't read this stuff, so I'm safe) I thought I should try to get a current picture.

I shot this today after his morning hike. He was actually pretty relaxed. It's the perfect portrait of him in his favorite setting. What better way to get a relaxed smile than resting in the shade after a hike?
Exif:here

90614527-L.jpg
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Snappy, that really is very nice. It's not just a pleasant photo of a handsome man, but it tells us a lot about him too.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif Most definitely! Very nice shot, Susan.
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Great shot, very nice use of fill.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Great capture. How wonderful to capture him in his environment.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    This is a very nice (leisure) environmental portrait. His mouth/face still looks a little tight to me, but not bad at all. His eyes look pretty happy.
    Chris
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    I got a good laugh out of that photo - not because it's not good, it is really well done. Just the right fill and you sure get a feeling for the man.

What made me chuckle was I just got back from San Diego (which I notice is where you live) and while I was there I bought that exact hat! :): Love it too, cool in a breeze and keeps the sun off your neck and face. And the missus thinks I look very dapper in it, which goes a long way in my book. mwink.gif

Anyway, nice shot and I hope I look half that good if I'm lucky enough to reach his age! thumb.gif
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I got a good laugh out of that photo - not because it's not good, it is really well done. Just the right fill and you sure get a feeling for the man.

What made me chuckle was I just got back from San Diego (which I notice is where you live) and while I was there I bought that exact hat! :): Love it too, cool in a breeze and keeps the sun off your neck and face. And the missus thinks I look very dapper in it, which goes a long way in my book. mwink.gif

Anyway, nice shot and I hope I look half that good if I'm lucky enough to reach his age! thumb.gif

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Yes, I agree that his smile still looks a bit stiff, but believe me, this looks good compared to what I usually get.

DJ, I bought that hat for him at the zoo and I think he looks real cool in it. It is great for hiking. Nice and cool.

After I got the shot up here, I decided it looked a tad red and the bushes in the background are a tad bright. So, I desaturated the reds and yellows a bit. I think that made it better. I hope my monitor is seeing this right.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Hi, snapapple
    Great Photo!
    Wow, he looks like he is in great shape for 65.
    Wish him a HAPPY 65th birthday from us here at Dgrin.

Take Care,
    Charles Cassidy,
    http://www.modellocate.com/action/goto/uid=4447
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • David StevensDavid Stevens Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Nice work!

www.icphoto.net
    David L. Stevens