Options

Challenge 72: 3 Possibilities

douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
edited August 29, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here are 3 different shots i am considering for stillness challenge. Any thought on any of these?

90708104-L.jpg

90708101-L.jpg

90708103-L.jpg
Best regards,
douglas

Comments

• Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    I like the concept, good subject for the theme "stillness", though the first thing I feel, is that the lighting seems wierd, I think it is the black bacground

Were those taken at night with lights shining on the tombstones?

The other thing I notice is the angle seems a bit too high

Perhaps if you re-shot during the day, and tried to get a lower angle, don't be afraid to get down in the mud and get dirty, just get those tombstones standing tall! :D

Maybe try some bokeh... :)

Also with #3, what does the color version look like, the B&W conversion doesn't quite do it for me...

Good luck!
    Ben
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2006
    Bendr wrote:
    I like the concept, good subject for the theme "stillness", though the first thing I feel, is that the lighting seems wierd, I think it is the black bacground

Were those taken at night with lights shining on the tombstones?

The other thing I notice is the angle seems a bit too high

Perhaps if you re-shot during the day, and tried to get a lower angle, don't be afraid to get down in the mud and get dirty, just get those tombstones standing tall! :D

Maybe try some bokeh... :)

Also with #3, what does the color version look like, the B&W conversion doesn't quite do it for me...

Good luck!
    Ben

Thanks alot for input Ben, yes they were taken at night while I was waving a flashlight on the subjects. I agree a lower angle would be better on # 1, probably #3 as well, but i like the night shot i think it adds more mood. here is # 3 in color.

90757202-L.jpg
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Yes, IMHO, I think I like the color one better.

What might be cool is if you got a little more light behind the tombstones, such that the shadows are more prominent, so that you notice them extending away...

Ben
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    I agree w/Ben
    The 3rd (color) is best.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    I also like the 3rd picture the best whether B&W or color. Good work!
  • Options
    sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    I am picturing number one with the crusifix edited out with black............puts more emphasis on the scene of the gravestones, and creates more of a sense of stillness IMMHO. I think it would be a GREAT shot if you tried that. I think the crusifix light up is beautifull, but takes the focus of the stillness of the cemetary at night, and puts it on the crusifix instead.......just me thoughts :)

clap.gifclapclap.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2006
    I am picturing number one with the crusifix edited out with black............puts more emphasis on the scene of the gravestones, and creates more of a sense of stillness IMMHO. I think it would be a GREAT shot if you tried that. I think the crusifix light up is beautifull, but takes the focus of the stillness of the cemetary at night, and puts it on the crusifix instead.......just me thoughts :)

clap.gifclapclap.gif

This sounded good to me, so I tried it and I like it. What do you think? Thank you for your suggestion!

91289727-L.jpg
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • Options
    DizzyDizzy Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Good in theory...
    douglas wrote:
    This sounded good to me, so I tried it and I like it. What do you think? Thank you for your suggestion!

91289727-L.jpg

...But not execution. The cross in the first picture makes it a stronger picture. It gives the viewer a way to get into the picture and then move down to the stones and their curve. I was very struck by the photo in its original form as the cross wasn't in the expected place and the fact that the Christ figure stood out more didn't bother me either. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. - Dizzy
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    Dizzy, thank you for your input, it is much apreciated! I like the original better as a whole, still not sure about for challenge though. Descisions, descisions...
    Best regards,
    douglas