Win

vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
edited August 29, 2006 in People
Hiya

Did a photo shoot for someone the other night and got paid!! My first paid photo assignment!! Hurrah!! I'm tempted to frame the cheque, but think the bank manager will like it more!! :D

Here's a couple of shots

90706308-M.jpg

90706313-M.jpg

The shoot was quite late, about 7.30pm on the green outside my flat. He faced the setting sun & I had to put the camera on a tripod as I was getting 1/50th & 1/20th. I used a white reflector to fill in the shadows and no flash. Iso 400 (any more on this cam & I start getting noise! After 800 its serious noise!!!)

Having only bought the E500 recently, I'm now becoming frustrated already with the lenses:):. The short one only opens to f4.5 and is useless in any sort of low light - ie no sunshine. The larger one opens to f3.5 and I'm ending up shooting at 1/125, 1/100 & lower, hence the tripod.

Will have to save for a faster lens!!

C&C welcome

The rest of the pics can be found here http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com/gallery/1816383/1/90706313
Nicola
Iconic Creative
http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
Raghu Rai

Comments

• BrowndogBrowndog Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    Excellent work!
    These are great shot and I think you should definately buy some faster lenes......feed the habit!!clap.gif
    Mike W....
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    If you're going into portraits, the Zuiko Digital 50f2 macro would make an excellent portrait lens (100mm equiv) with good control over depth of focus. Not that you're doing bad with the lens you're currently having, but new toys.... ;)
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    If you're going into portraits, the Zuiko Digital 50f2 macro would make an excellent portrait lens (100mm equiv) with good control over depth of focus. Not that you're doing bad with the lens you're currently having, but new toys.... ;)
    Thanks guys

Browndog! Yup definitely want to feed the habit!!

Marlof, that's the lens I was actually looking at :D (rubs paws together with avaritic compusion lol). Must get it sooooon!! Did an inpromtu shoot yesterday in a Gurudwara (Sikh Temple) and again had problems with not enough light & slow lens, so had to use flash. I feel like I'm running at the low end of the camera's capability all the time. Time to examine the finances......
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Great portraits of a good looking guy.... But I find the green in the background distracting. Can you try these in B&W? I had a shot that improved much in B&W because of the exact same thing!

There also seems to be a slight color cast to them, but I can't tell what it is. (No coffee yet! Laughing.gif!)

I'd love to see them in B&W!
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    The colors look nice, a little to centered for my tase and a bigger DOF would be nice as well. But niec job overall thumb.gif
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    I like the first one especially, The second is good but the green bisecting his head is distracting. I agree on getting the faster lens. The DOF will be improved.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    mwink.gif This is great News
    Congratulations
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited August 28, 2006
    Here's a black & white version:

91277022-M.jpg

Can't do anything about the DOF with the lens as it is. I had it open as far as it will go!!
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative

Raghu Rai
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Great portraits of a good looking guy.... But I find the green in the background distracting. Can you try these in B&W? I had a shot that improved much in B&W because of the exact same thing!

There also seems to be a slight color cast to them, but I can't tell what it is. (No coffee yet! Laughing.gif!)

I'd love to see them in B&W!
    These are some sweet captures. I really like the B&W.

Something else that works well is to mess with hue/saturation, yellow (not green) channel and turn down the lightness. Mutes the distracting green quite nicely.
    edited August 29, 2006
    mwink.gif This is great News
    Congratulations

Thanks Awais!
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative

Raghu Rai