A wit's end

ghealyghealy Registered Users Posts: 247 Major grins
edited August 28, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Oops, Title should read: At wit's end

I'm lost and hoping someone can give me some suggestions.

I came back from vacation 2 weeks ago, and after sifting through way too many photos attempted to upload them to my site (ghealy.smugmug.com)

I ran into problems immediately receiving an error 12030. Andy was very kind to point me to an article that stated that such a code could be as a result of a firewall. an antivirus software or an ISP problem.

I've spent the past week trouble shooting this on my end.

Removed ZonealarmPro firewall. Removed Norton Antivirus. No change,

Restored the pc (WinXP SP2) to a date prior to my last running windows update. No change

Contacted ISP. They swear there is nothing wrong with line or server. (shrug, didn't expect anything else from them)

Restored a back-up from January, booted machine without internet connectivity. Permanently disabled firewall and anti-virus, ensuring they would not run on a re-boot. Re-instated internet connectivity and rebooted PC. Still no change.

I have on maybe 1 in 25-30 attempts been able to upload a single image. But other than that - nada.

Only thing I've not tried is someone else's PC. Either with the same ISP or a different one. Will try that this week sometime.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I might try?

Really do appreciate any and all suggestions.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    I'm sorry you are still having difficulties.

Let's level-set:

1) what uploader are you trying to use - Universal Drag and Drop?
    2) what browser are you using - IE6 or Firefox?
    3) have you run a line quality test - it's free and the link is on this page:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/problems

4) have you tried uploading with the other uploaders at all?
    5) do you still get windows error 12030 or 12031 with any uploader?
    6) are you getting any error message(s)?

We'll help - let's get through this together :)
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    Doesn't WinXP have a built in firewall? Might check that.
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • ghealyghealy Registered Users Posts: 247 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I'm sorry you are still having difficulties.

Let's level-set:

1) what uploader are you trying to use - Universal Drag and Drop?

Using the Windows Explorer uploader. Went to Sun and grabbed their java software and tried the new Universal Drag & Drop but received a similar error message stating it could not connect to server.
    Andy wrote:
    2) what browser are you using - IE6 or Firefox?

Using IE version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519
    Andy wrote:
    3) have you run a line quality test - it's free and the link is on this page:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/problems

Running it as I type. Will post results once I receive them.

Results have been posted. Doesn't look good, but I have no idea what it means really.

http://www.dslreports.com/quality/nil/2081605

Er.... look as if I have problems. But I don't know if the problem is on my end up to my DSL 'modem' or on the line between my phone jack and the CO? Any ideas?
    Andy wrote:
    4) have you tried uploading with the other uploaders at all?
    5) do you still get windows error 12030 or 12031 with any uploader?
    6) are you getting any error message(s)?

Not only do I get similar error messages regardless of which upload I use. I get the same windows error (12030) when attempting to upload to dotphoto (my old free site) and Flickr where I opened a new account to try uploading.

I have removed Norton completely, I have removed ZoneAlarmPro completely. I have ensured that Windows firewall is disabled (though it kept throwing me angry messages (Grin). I reinstalled an old backup from January and did not install any Windows patches issued sicne in case that may have been the cause, specifically IE6 patch 918899, but no difference.

I have been able to upload to my account from two other PCs (not in my home), one of which is even the same ISP. I have verified that my router has its firewall disabled. I have reset numerous times both my router (D-Link DI-784) and my DSL 'modem' (D-Link DSL-3001)
    Andy wrote:
    We'll help - let's get through this together :)

I really do appreciate your help, Andy. I read these forums on a semi-regular basis, and I can see how readily you and others help us users out with our problems.

Thanks again.
    edited August 28, 2006
    Allen wrote:
    Doesn't WinXP have a built in firewall? Might check that.
    Al

Appreciate the suggestion, Allen. I did check for that.

Thanks for trying to help.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    ghealy wrote:

I really do appreciate your help, Andy. I read these forums on a semi-regular basis, and I can see how readily you and others help us users out with our problems.

Thanks again.
    Hi again. Wish I had better news for you, but that packet loss is HUGE and it's likely the main culprit. Contact your ISP and insist on a service call, you shouldn't have to pay for that low level of service.

Let us know the outcome!
    edited August 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi again. Wish I had better news for you, but that packet loss is HUGE and it's likely the main culprit. Contact your ISP and insist on a service call, you shouldn't have to pay for that low level of service.

Let us know the outcome!

Thanks for the very quick response, Andy.

And for indicateing what I need to do next. I've already called the ISP last week. They were suppose to have the line checked and get back to me. So now I'll go bqck after them with some additional ammo, er. . . I mean information. <grin>

Again Thanks.