"Hard to Sleep"

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited August 27, 2006 in People
90765238-L.jpg

I'm submitting this 2nd pic for the "stillness" challenge so comments and critiques are most welcome.

90768537-L.jpg

90768466-L.jpg

This gentleman is one of the many I see almost everyday. He's quite affable and willing to talk but I have yet to come across him when he is coherent to get his story. Hopefully I'll learn a bit more about him one of these days.

Comments

• rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    oh I love these! they're so emotional...and thought provoking. GREAT job.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    I think it works quite well. The gentleman looks so strangely peaceful while sleeping on something so solid and unmoving (...yet more stillness). I really like seeing the close-up, but the 2nd image is more powerful. thumb.gif
  • bjustbobbjustbob Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    I like the series, would like to see a version midway between #2 and #3.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 26, 2006
    Thanks for the kind words everyone.
    bjustbob wrote:
    I like the series, would like to see a version midway between #2 and #3.

Funny thing is they are not the same image and neither has been cropped beyond small angle adjustments to get them level. I suppose I could crop #2 but for me the size of the building around him is important. I'll play with it and see what works.
  • GouriGouri Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    I like the second. An unsettling stillness....
    edited August 26, 2006
    Here's a new treatment.

90851473-L.jpg
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    It's a great shot. Very center based, never the less a good capture.
  • bjustbobbjustbob Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    Although others may disagree, I think this version shows enough environment around your subject yet keeps the idea alive.
    edited August 27, 2006
    Thanks Ted. I was out shooting for 15 minutes. I walked a total of 10 blocks and came back to this scene twice. I knew I had to get the shot right but could not stand there firing off frame after frame. After my first pass I had only mediocre captures and was praying he was still asleep. I dialed in my exposure about a block away and got lucky that the moment had not passed me by. Once I had the shot I ended the shoot. I knew I had a great scene and was dying to get it into the computer like a kid on x-mas morning.
    bjustbob wrote:
    Although others may disagree, I think this version shows enough environment around your subject yet keeps the idea alive.

I spent way too much time with this pic today. I'm happy with the convserion I ended up with in this latest version but I'm not sure the tighter crop has the same emotion as the full frame. This one will gnaw at me for a while.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    i loved 2nd and 3rd
    nice photo
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery