Poor but still happy

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited August 30, 2006 in People
in end of my street there is village type community made with mud houses very poor people live there
These were shots taken infront of my house ok they were ready to take bath in water

90912009-L.jpg

90913001-L.jpg

90912010-L.jpg

and here is water they were going to play in this .....Usual scene here although i live in best city of Pakistan and that is Capital :huh and this is center of city
90912999-L.jpg
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Awais - I really like the first picture. There is such a nice variety of expressions on the boys' faces. Within the picture as a whole, there is nice color and texture - so many browns and tans with the green - very nice.

Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
  • AfterImageAfterImage Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    What an amazing capture Awais!
    I learned your love for life,
    I feel your presence...
    I remember

SLAMA Photography
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 27, 2006
    Awais, that first picture is really nice. I like that scene in color much more than the b&w. The story you tell of the conditions in the city is an important one for those of us unable to see it with our own eyes. I hope you shoot more street scenes in the future.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Awais, that first picture is really nice. I like that scene in color much more than the b&w. The story you tell of the conditions in the city is an important one for those of us unable to see it with our own eyes. I hope you shoot more street scenes in the future.

Thanks Truth i was thinking to do some serious stuff about Afghan refugees who live near my house in streets wil try to do that .It is very much difficult to shoot in Pakistani streets not because of threat of people going angry just because a lot people gather to see what is happening rolleyes1.gif
    but i will try

Thanks Mary and after image
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    yeah the first shot really has a vibe to it.

cant wait to see more.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • oldtimeoldtime Registered Users Posts: 331 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Nice candid captures of a hard life
    D-50, D2H,D300
    Nikon 50mm 1.8D
    Sigma 120-300 2.8
    Sigma 70-300-4-5.6
    my Galleries
    http://oldtime.smugmug.com/
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=6707
  • cornerketchcornerketch Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    I like all the shots. They tell your story.. Please keep shooting. Safely.

This is part of the world I will probably never get to, but you can bring your view to light..

Thanks
    Hank Stoklosa
    CornerKetch Studios
    Special Olympics Delaware
    www.sode.smugmug.com
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Love the smiles in the second image, but would love to see it in the same great colors of the first one.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 27, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    Love the smiles in the second image, but would love to see it in the same great colors of the first one.

15524779-Ti.gif Just what I was thinking.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Thanks Truth i was thinking to do some serious stuff about Afghan refugees who live near my house in streets wil try to do that.

Awais - That's a great idea! I would love to see that gallery!

I really like the first one but the third really grabbed my attention - great job!
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Nice shots. I love their expressions.
  • athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    that would be a great series. a zoom lens would be nice as you could still catch candids without people noticing you and really grab the essence and the grit of life.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Awais, I like the first piccie, great smile, nice group dynamic.

But even more powerful is your story: this impoverished kids were going to play in that dirty water.

This kind of poverty is not very common here. It's a sobering reminder of how many people are not as fortunate as us.

I think a photo essay of the refugees who live near you would be very powerful. I'd love to see it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited August 27, 2006
    Thanks everyone i will try to shoot those refugees biggest hurdle is my self when ever i am shooting them they always think i am from press and may be their life is going to be good but when i say no i am not a press guy a joy turns into sadness :cry thats why i usually dont do do photos in streets
    These were shot from iside my garage
    Here is colored version

91172438-L.jpg

My Gallery
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    All excellent and interesting shots and story. Keep it up!
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Thanks for posting the color version of the smiling one. In my opinion it made a good picture even better!
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Very nice shot awais...you have so much to photograph where you are that most of us have never seen. Keep them coming thumb.gif
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    The first shot is the better from far thumb.gif (expressions, their pose).

Others are "casual", if you know what I mean.

I know this water issue, the African Way. Even in the center of big cities, well.. I'll try to show you my "bathroom" in Ouagadougou, sometime :)
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
    edited August 28, 2006
    Thanks everyone ! i am glad you dont have scenes like we have :): iloveyou.gif

bathroom" in Ouagadougou we are waiting Antonie

My Gallery
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Great shots!
    I concur....the first one with the expressions and colors are very nice. I also like the B&W 2nd one. Looks like something for Time. It would be fun to see the first one in grayscale just for the heck of it. As always, nice captures. You do nice work! clap.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Priviet, Awais!
    As I can see, you're still going the road of journalizm and documentalism ":-)
    I like the first photo -well done!
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
    edited August 29, 2006
    Thanks everyone ! i am glad you dont have scenes like we have :): iloveyou.gif

bathroom" in Ouagadougou we are waiting Antonie
    Well, ok: just follow the corridor (to the right) :D :

ad20060210-024.jpg

This is some of the things that most amazed me in western Africa: people take great care of themselves (I never met someone who stinked or sth. there... I would say that of the parisian subway :D ), their house are pretty ok, regarding their incomes, but the place where they wash (and I did, too) is often "hard".

I don't think these are the best ways to stop diseases...
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
    edited August 30, 2006
    Swartzy wrote:
    I concur....the first one with the expressions and colors are very nice. I also like the B&W 2nd one. Looks like something for Time. It would be fun to see the first one in grayscale just for the heck of it. As always, nice captures. You do nice work! clap.gif

iloveyou.gif Thank you Swartzy thumb.gif

My Gallery
    edited August 30, 2006
    Priviet, Awais!
    As I can see, you're still going the road of journalizm and documentalism ":-)
    I like the first photo -well done!
    Spasibo,
    Yuri

Hello Sir iloveyou.gif thanks for kind comments

My Gallery
    edited August 30, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    Well, ok: just follow the corridor (to the right) :D :

ad20060210-024.jpg

This is some of the things that most amazed me in western Africa: people take great care of themselves (I never met someone who stinked or sth. there... I would say that of the parisian subway :D ), their house are pretty ok, regarding their incomes, but the place where they wash (and I did, too) is often "hard".

I don't think these are the best ways to stop diseases...

Wow thats fine in some areas of Pakistan you wont even find walls rolleyes1.gif
    hahaha thanks for sharing your stroy and pic looks like you have some interesting images and story to share :):

My Gallery
    edited August 30, 2006
    Wow thats fine in some areas of Pakistan you wont even find walls rolleyes1.gif
    hahaha thanks for sharing your stroy and pic looks like you have some interesting images and story to share :):

Wow, I have to visit Pakistan, some time :):

Indeed, I have some pictures/stories to share but I'm quite the unorganized type of guy, so you'll have to wait :):D
    edited August 30, 2006
    AntoineD wrote:
    Wow, I have to visit Pakistan, some time :):

Indeed, I have some pictures/stories to share but I'm quite the unorganized type of guy, so you'll have to wait :):D

lol no problem i can wait
    I hope you will visit Pakistan be my guest no problem iloveyou.gif

My Gallery
    edited August 30, 2006
    lol no problem i can wait
    I hope you will visit Pakistan be my guest no problem iloveyou.gif

you won't have to say it twice: I hate hostels :D