What's going on out there?

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited August 28, 2006 in People
86228417-M.jpg

My youngest daughter contemplating outside....

CC is always welcome!

Comments

• rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Very nice picture, might have been even better if you had moved over just a dit to show some of his/her face.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    I'll agree that it's nice to be able to see at least some part of the subject's face, but to me it's not always necessary. This is one of those shots where the composition, lighting (especially around the hair), depth of field and monochrome rendering really work together--we can easily imagine the contemplative expression on her face. What a great shot!

I might adjust the levels to get deeper shadows, but that's because I like contrasty images with rich, inky shadows. But the lower contrast of this shot may work better as is.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Thanks so much!

Rjpat, I deliberately kept her face out of this shot.... I have several others with her face nicely lit by this window, but wanted something a bit more... contemplative. Thanks for your comments! I do appreciate everyones input!

Thanks, ubergeek! My only issue with the more contrasty version (see below) is that there is something brighter on her left hand. I should PS it out, but haven't taken the time. I think it was something on my lens. UGH! But I think you're right... I'm starting to like the higher contrast version. If I go too high (dark), though, I lose too much detail in her hair and back and I like that you can see them... (JMO, though!) Thanks for your kind remarks. Any comments for the higher contrast version? Is this what you were thinking?

91004077-L.jpg
  • ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    My only issue with the more contrasty version (see below) is that there is something brighter on her left hand. I should PS it out, but haven't taken the time. I think it was something on my lens. UGH!
    It may have been something on the lens, but it looks like flare to me (it is opposite a pretty bright window, and you may have had the sun in the frame or at least very close to it). In any case, a little bit of the "burn" tool in Photoshop and it's gone (see attached).
    But I think you're right... I'm starting to like the higher contrast version. If I go too high (dark), though, I lose too much detail in her hair and back and I like that you can see them... (JMO, though!) Thanks for your kind remarks. Any comments for the higher contrast version? Is this what you were thinking?
    I downloaded the image and tuned the contrast to my preferences using the "curves" tool (I don't know if you use levels, curves or what, but curves give the most control). I set the black point slightly higher and applied just a gentle "S" curve. I don't know if the result is "better"--just different--and it does look a lot like the version you came up with.

91035196-L.jpg

Whether you like the higher contrast or not, it's a great shot either way!

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• photofreakphotofreak Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    86228417-M.jpg

My youngest daughter contemplating outside....

CC is always welcome!
    clap.gifclap.gif I LOVE this shot!!! Very nice.
    Mandi :shay
    www.mandraleephotography.com

Life is a compromise of what your ego wants to do, what experience tells you to do, and what your nerves let you do.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Andi,
    I love the second version of this shot. Well done and thanks for sharing it!clap.gif