Canon 1.4x TC and Tamron 28-75

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
edited August 27, 2006 in Cameras
Anybody know if there is a problem using the Canon 1.4x TC with a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8? I am considering getting the TC for my Canon 70-200 f/4L mainly, but was wondering whether the other combination would work as well. I don't always carry the 70-200.

Thanks,

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 27, 2006
    Richard,

The teleconverters are not designed to work well with any lens under 100mm.

The specific recommendations are in this document:

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/lens/EFLensChart.pdf

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited August 27, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Richard,

The teleconverters are not designed to work well with any lens under 100mm.

The specific recommendations are in this document:

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/lens/EFLensChart.pdf

ziggy53

Thanks, Ziggy, but that raises another question: So what happens if I set the 70-200 to 70? Obviously, I'm not thinking of getting a TC for that particular use, but I do a lot of street shooting and have to change rapidly between near and far targets. What is the effect when the TC is not working well?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 27, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Thanks, Ziggy, but that raises another question: So what happens if I set the 70-200 to 70? Obviously, I'm not thinking of getting a TC for that particular use, but I do a lot of street shooting and have to change rapidly between near and far targets. What is the effect when the TC is not working well?

Richard,

I have a Tamron 1.4F teleconverter, and the Canon 70-200mm, f2.8 (non-IS) and at 70mm, the corners are soft. I still shoot when I don't have time to change, but I can see it.

With wider lenses, the teleconverter may not even mount because of the construction of the teleconverter (the forward element protrudes on the Canon extender.)

ex_ef14xii_586x225.jpg

(Not my image. Used for illustrative purposes.)

The Tamron does not extend, so more lenses will at least mount safely.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited August 27, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Richard,

I have a Tamron 1.4F teleconverter, and the Canon 70-200mm, f2.8 (non-IS) and at 70mm, the corners are soft. I still shoot when I don't have time to change, but I can see it.

With wider lenses, the teleconverter may not even mount because of the construction of the teleconverter (the forward element protrudes on the Canon extender.)

(Not my image. Used for illustrative purposes.)

The Tamron does not extend, so more lenses will at least mount safely.

ziggy53

Thanks again Ziggy. As always, your explanations are clear and to the point. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Regards,