Options

Model Release Question by PM

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited August 28, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
I don't answer PMs privately - there are way too many, and you're shortchanged - you miss out on ALL the great input from the MANY fine contributors here on Dgrin :D
PM wrote:
I am really confused about the issue of model releases. I have lots of pictures of people involved in sports and some of them would be easy for a person to say, "Hey, that's me". Is it legal and or ethical to use such pictures on line not in contests and not for sale but i.e. on dgrin requesting critiques or whatever without a release?

Thanks,
Mike
I am not a lawyer, so you should consult one before making decisions. In general, though, for editorial, or instructional use, no. For commercial use, yes. Some great advice on Dan Heller's site: http://danheller.com/bizfaq.html

And here are many Dgrin threads, Courtesy of Google

Comments

• Options
    fotodojofotodojo Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I am not a lawyer, so you should consult one before making decisions. In general, though, for editorial, or instructional use, no. For commercial use, yes. Some great advice on Dan Heller's site: http://danheller.com/bizfaq.html

I am not a lawyer either - but isn't this supposed to inversed .. "ok" to use for editorial but "not" for commercial =). Sorry to confuse the issue, I read and re-read the thread to see if I missed a "negative" there.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    fotodojo wrote:
    I am not a lawyer either - but isn't this supposed to inversed .. "ok" to use for editorial but "not" for commercial =). Sorry to confuse the issue, I read and re-read the thread to see if I missed a "negative" there.
    I meant, if you are using it for editorial it's ok, typically. For commercial, you must have a release.
  • Options
    fotodojofotodojo Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I meant, if you are using it for editorial it's ok, typically. For commercial, you must have a release.

Ah right - yes that is what I figured as well :D Thanks.