Options

Pricing: full rights to a photo?

photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
edited August 29, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
I just got a request for several of my photos to be used on a web site, but they'd like full rights for them. These are mainly photos of my children with some outdoors photos to boot. These are photos I already have, not photos they would like taken...

Basically, they would like to have full rights - I cannot sell them to anyone else and they cannot be licensed for anyone else. I can use them for private use, but if I should them on my web site, I'd have to make it known who they are licensed to. They would be using them on their main web site, marketing materials, etc, etc....

Oh, and it's a lower end version (from SmugMug, that is) of a photo hosting site. (Brand new.)

What do I charge?!?! i have NO clue where to start! (I have pricing down for other things, but not for full rights!)

HELP!

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 28, 2006
    You don't (never!) sell "full rights" to your images. You may negotiate "exclusive use" rights for a specified period of time with a renewal option.

I can't tell you what to charge but you should be setting your sights in the thousands of dollars.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    You don't (never) sell "full rights" to your images. You may negotiate "exclusive use" rights for a specified period of time and renewable.

I can't tell you what to charge but you should be setting your sights in the thousands of dollars.

I just downloaded "fotoquote pro 5" demo version and I'm starting to see what you're talking about!!! Thank you for your feedback - that tells me that i"m on the right track here...

Thanks a TON!
  • Options
    camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Indeed. "Full rights" might (depending on their intent and contract) include their right to sub-license and not pay you. They could potentially make more in sub-licensing your images than you make initially.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2006
    cambler wrote:
    Indeed. "Full rights" might (depending on their intent and contract) include their right to sub-license and not pay you. They could potentially make more in sub-licensing your images than you make initially.

GREAT point! Thanks so much!!! Definitely dont' want that to happen!
  • Options
    athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    im new to this, but i know one thing.

it would take thousands of clams for me to give up full rights to one of my photos.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    Yuppers, after looking at fotoQuote Pro, I'm realizing it *is* thousands of clams - depending on the length of time and what they are using it for. I won't give up all rights, but I will give them the right to use the photos for a certain length of time on their site and for advertising.....

I never expected to have them be worth THAT much. I'm pretty pleased, to say the least.rolleyes1.gif We'll see what happens though!