Carrying hand held to the extreme

Brooks PBrooks P Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited August 28, 2006 in Holy Macro
Not only was I holding the camera with one hand, I was holding my 50mm F/1.8, reversed, in front of my mounted 18-55mm lens with the other hand.
I thought I might try and see what all this talk of using a lens reversed is all about. I don't think my technique is ever going to catch on, it's too much of a royal pain in the . . .
Probably ought to get a reversing ring before doing any further work with this technique.
I was somewhat surprised that this fly sitting on a leaf allowed the camera to get that close.
91309603-L.jpg

Nikon D50, Focal Length: 46mm, Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority, Metering Mode: Spot, AF Mode: Manual, 1/160 sec - F/8, Lens: 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 G (plus reversed 50mm), Sensitivity: ISO 800

Comments

• athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    i think you are off to a pretty darn good start. :D

even though his head is slighlty out of the dof, this shot works for me. pretty sick shot really.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Very nice closeup shot ! and even great with handheld
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    What, you didn't do this while standing on your head???
    Great shot....great results too. I can just visualize you standing on one foot, lens in one hand, camera on the other, fly on leaf, then your ear itches! rolleyes1.gifSweet Macro...thanks for sharing
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Brooks PBrooks P Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Swartzy wrote:
    Great shot....great results too. I can just visualize you standing on one foot, lens in one hand, camera on the other, fly on leaf, then your ear itches! rolleyes1.gifSweet Macro...thanks for sharing
    SSSHHH, don't tell anybody, but I did have a scary moment when I suddenly had too many thumbs, or not enough hands, and ended up dropping the 50mm when I lost my balance, luckily the ground was soft. That lens has certainly taken a beating, the second day I had it it got knocked off a dining room table and fell on a hard floor, it seems to be rather sturdy.

Note to myself: Stop dropping 50mm lens.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Brooks P wrote:
    Not only was I holding the camera with one hand, I was holding my 50mm F/1.8, reversed, in front of my mounted 18-55mm lens with the other hand.
    I thought I might try and see what all this talk of using a lens reversed is all about. I don't think my technique is ever going to catch on, it's too much of a royal pain in the . . .
    Probably ought to get a reversing ring before doing any further work with this technique.
    I was somewhat surprised that this fly sitting on a leaf allowed the camera to get that close.
    Nikon D50, Focal Length: 46mm, Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority, Metering Mode: Spot, AF Mode: Manual, 1/160 sec - F/8, Lens: 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 G (plus reversed 50mm), Sensitivity: ISO 800

Hi there Brooks :D I struggled with that technique too, even with a reversal ring......... it's annoying when you see someone post a real cool shot using that technique isn't it rolleyes1.gif

Your fly has great colour, and detail in the body, if you figure out how to make it all come together mate let us know wont ya thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing Brooks........... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin