Yosemite Tunnel View -- suggestions?

photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
edited August 31, 2006 in Finishing School
OK, I'm finally strapping a photo to the whipping post ...

Here's a photo of Yosemite (the traditional "Tunnel View"), taken in early July. It was shot as a panorama (stitched together from three 8mp photos, creating an 18+mp final file). It seems "OK" to me, but I was hoping to end up with a photo with a little more "zip" somehow. (note: no sharpening has been applied yet)

Snow on the mountains would have been nice, but was a bit out of the question in July :wink. At least the waterfalls were still going strong, given the very wet winter!

Two questions:
  1. In the original, I noticed that the farther away an object in the photo was, the more of a cyan cast it seemed to have. I tried to partially correct for that with a light warming filter applied just to the background (via a Photo Filter adjustment layer with a layer mask) in Photoshop, but I tried not to over-do it.
    Does anyone know what caused that depth-dependent color cast and/or how I could have corrected for it when I shot the photo?

2. Can anyone suggest ways to improve this photo?
A larger copy can be viewed from:
http://topflightimages.smugmug.com/gallery/1828417/1/91455771/Large

thanks!!
Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Looks like regular old haze, to me.

There are ways to minimize haze in post, but you have to have a fine touch. Try Googling it, that's how I found some interesting tips last time I tried to defeat haze (with middling results.)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited August 29, 2006
    BTW, this belongs in Technique or Finishing School, not Whipping Post.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    BTW, this belongs in Technique or Finishing School, not Whipping Post.
    OK, I'm still starting to use them and figure out the differences between them -- feel free to move this thread to the correct forum!
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Haze? In Yosemite? Yikes.
    wxwax wrote:
    Looks like regular old haze, to me.
    There are ways to minimize haze in post, but you have to have a fine touch. Try Googling it, that's how I found some interesting tips last time I tried to defeat haze (with middling results.)
    Thanks much ... it never occurred to me that it might be haze, way the heck out in pristine Yosemite. I suppose there could have been a fire in the wilderness that would contribute to a subtle haze (via smoke) or something.

Given your tip, so far I quickly found articles which contributed ideas for 1) using Unsharp Mask and 2) using Gradient Tool with Color Burn blend mode, to cut down on the haze. I'll give these a shot at home.

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Photobug,

Moved to finishing school, which is a more appropriate forum for post processing questions such as the ones that you have.

If you want the photo flat-out critiqued, then the Whipping Post is for you. But to ask for PP advice, Finishing School it is!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited August 29, 2006
    photobug wrote:
    Thanks much ... it never occurred to me that it might be haze, way the heck out in pristine Yosemite. I suppose there could have been a fire in the wilderness that would contribute to a subtle haze (via smoke) or something.

Given your tip, so far I quickly found articles which contributed ideas for 1) using Unsharp Mask and 2) using Gradient Tool with Color Burn blend mode, to cut down on the haze. I'll give these a shot at home.
    Oh man, you wouldn't believe how far pollution travels.

Heck, they were insistent that the haze at the Grand Canyon was from California cities! And the Great Smoky Mountain National park gets a lot of its haze from Atlanta.

That stuff travels, apparently.

Be sure to show us the shot after you work on it.
    Sid.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Yes..it still looks "too blue" and the effect is due to atmospheric haze.

One thing you can try to do is to boost the contrast (and reduce the brightness a bit) just over the mountains and sky (leave the trees alone). You can do this by using Curves in photoshop as a layer and then use a mask to paint over the areas you want to have the Curves apply to.

Erich
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    Here is a very crude attempt to punch it up a little. All I did was some masking, levels, selective color, and sharpen.

Sam
  • kriyababajikriyababaji Registered Users Posts: 295 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    30 sec. LAB Adjust
    I like the photo composition, the light seems a little hard, which is why I think you are getting that nasty cyan color cast.

Here is a 30 sec. LAB adjust with sharpening.
    Sam wrote:
    Here is a very crude attempt to punch it up a little. All I did was some masking, levels, selective color, and sharpen.

Sam