As The Sun Sets, chal 72

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited September 5, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
91599870-L.jpg

Does this really need to be cropped? It was cropped enough to straighten the photo, I think. I am not a "cropper", but I want to do the correct thing.

The bird, the skyline and all are real, as they came from the camera. It is not manipulated, not that that would matter, smile. The color is "saturated" some. It was a gorgeous sunset!

Whether it is still or not, who knows. Someone was talking to me most of the time. I paid her little mind as birds flew by and the beauty was all around.

I know this is not a bird contest, so what kind of bird matters not. However, I happen to know, so I will tell you all. It is a Tri Colored Heron.

Thank you for any comments, or for just looking,

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    What a beautiful photograph. No, I would not crop it, although I would be tempted to try cropping a bit of the left and top to put the bird a bit more to the left in the photo to see if I liked it better. To me the picture conveys serenity and peacefulness. Some might feel that a bird in flight cannot convey stillness since even if it is gliding it is not, stricly speaking, still. For me, though, the silhouetted bird in that gorgeous sunset sky works for the challenge.

Virginia

Email
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Thanks, Gina! I will try that. You might not see the results until after our tropical storm passes. But that should be soon enough for the challenge.

ginger
  • hugzhugz Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    I really like this photo
    Stillness doesn't necessarily mean not moving. Can't it be the feeling you get from looking at the photo.
    Very calming and still
    edited September 2, 2006
    Is this better or worse????
    92312161-L-1.jpg

9/1/2006

I took it today. Am so tired,

night all! ginger
  • Zahid NiazZahid Niaz Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    I like the Bird one better than the butterfly image. First image is a "poetry" ... very nice capture, indeed.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    Zahid Niaz wrote:
    I like the Bird one better than the butterfly image. First image is a "poetry" ... very nice capture, indeed.

15524779-Ti.gif The butterfly photo is intriguing and interesting to look at but there is a spiritual stillness in the first photo that isn't there in the second. Besides, there are already some rather stunning insect photos entered in the challenge. There are no entries with one bird silhouetted against the spectacular color of a sunset on a cloudless evening.

Virginia

Email
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    91599870-Th.jpg

Oh I am a sucker for this shot thumb.gif
  • judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    91599870-L.jpg

Hi Ginger,
    this is a great photo - to me it inspires stillness inside (and as was said before - very poetic!).
    -Judy
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    91599870-L.jpg

Does this really need to be cropped? It was cropped enough to straighten the photo, I think. I am not a "cropper", but I want to do the correct thing.

The bird, the skyline and all are real, as they came from the camera. It is not manipulated, not that that would matter, smile. The color is "saturated" some. It was a gorgeous sunset!

Whether it is still or not, who knows. Someone was talking to me most of the time. I paid her little mind as birds flew by and the beauty was all around.

I know this is not a bird contest, so what kind of bird matters not. However, I happen to know, so I will tell you all. It is a Tri Colored Heron.

Thank you for any comments, or for just looking,

ginger
    Nice shot Ginger.
    I played around w/ this shot for a bit thinking it should conform to the rule of thirds....
    I was definately wrong. Any more/other cropping creates a sense of movement that you did a great job removing.
    If that Tri Colored Heron was shot any better... It would be floating down a river right now!thumb.gif
    edited September 5, 2006
    Hi, all! I just want to say, before anything is announced: Thanks to all who responded re my entry!

I am happy! Content and sure I like the photo I entered. I am so happy you all commented.

Thank you,

ginger
  • krismillerlkrismillerl Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 5, 2006
    I really liked your picture and thought it conveyed "stillness" very well... sorry to see it didn't make the top 10. Looking forward to seeing what you bring for next week's challenge!