Sigma SD-14

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 29, 2006 in Cameras

Comments

• BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    Andy wrote:

UHHH... I'm a big fan of the idea behind Foveon, I think it rocks.
    But even from the teaser picture the cam looks super cheapy plasticy just like the SD10 and SD9, and the Sigma mount??? don't get me started. Only Foveon camera I will ever own will say 3D on it :P (if it is more than rumor) Sigma needs to concentrate on making glass as good sharp as Canon's a OS system that doesn't drain power and designs resistant to CA (and all at half the price of Canon glass), not some niche odd ball toy body with the most brilliant idea in sensor design since CMOS. FREE FOVEON!!!!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    i am impressed .................with animation dont know about camera
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 31, 2006
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    Was there something there? I didn't have the patience to wait for the thing to load. It's a character flaw, I know, but why do web designers think it's a good idea to make people wait while their ridiculously large flash presentations load?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    mwgrice wrote:
    Was there something there? I didn't have the patience to wait for the thing to load. It's a character flaw, I know, but why do web designers think it's a good idea to make people wait while their ridiculously large flash presentations to load?
    It's a marketing gimmick, in this case. But I tend to agree with you :D
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    I hate teasers, lol.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 31, 2006
    Blurmore wrote:
    Sigma needs to concentrate on making glass as good sharp as Canon's
    I agree with everything else but that - some of the EX glass I owned was every bit as sharp as L glass.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 31, 2006
    I like the idea behind Foveon. I thought they were going exclusive with
    Sigma for a time but would otherwise open sales up after that period
    expired. Anybody know if other mfg'ers have made any decision to try
    the sensor?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    Pretty pictures, wonder how much truth there is to it?
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    Pretty pictures, wonder how much truth there is to it?

Pictures rolleyes1.gif

I was watching picture on a mag it was advertisement of a littel camera i was shocked and i thought i should sale my camera to get that until i noticed a small thing written on cornor "Image shown not shot with this camer" :uhoh

One more person told me Sony was showing portrait of Afghan girl written a big R1 in cornor
    Whole world know that it was shot in 80's when digi was not even born
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited September 1, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    the sensor?

Ian,

According to Foveon (http://www.foveon.com/ click on the "cameras with X3"), Polaroid and Hanvision use the technology.

While the concept of the Foveon is interesting, as is some of the Fuji technology, I think there is still a lot of life left in Bayer chip manufacturing, and I bet there are many wonderful advances that we should see in the next few years.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    my thoughts on the foveon
    While I do think that there's a lot of life left in the Bayer pattern, the Foveon is tasty on so many many levels.

First, you could actually do binning with this camera. Binning is the process of using neighboring pixels to make a 'superpixel', as in, 2x2 pixels combine, like voltron, to create a large pixel. The large pixel is faster to read, because there's less of them, and also about 4x as sensitive to light, since it's bigger. Noise can be tricky, depending on how the A/D is handled, but essentially binning gives you cleaner, bigger pixels for free. If you had a 16 megapixel camera, but 2x2 binned to a 4mp shot that covers the same size (ie, no central crop a la d2x) but also gave you 4x the sensitivity (ie, 100 iso to 25 iso), that seems like a good deal to me. Binning is hard (not impossible, but hard) to do with a bayer filtered detector, because you have to do a 4x4 area. With a normal bayer camera, a 2x2 region is already used to get color information over an area; 4x4 would be needed then in order to get the benefits of binning, but aliasing may be a real drawback. Plus, your 16 mp camera becomes 1 mp, which isn't so hot.

Second, and maybe my understanding of bayer mask interpolation algorithms is wrong or not up to date, but shouldn't there be less color fringing with a foveon? Some color fringing is the lens, but some is also from the interpolation algorithms used to change the r/g/g/b bayer pattern to be rgb at each position.

Third, you could use the foveon as a black and white camera really interestingly, I think. Essentially, you could just add all the values from each channel, weight for white balance of the shot, and then get an extra stop (or more) of sensitivity for your black and white shot (3 channels added-> 3x more signal than just one channel). Current bayer patterns can already produce very nice black and whites (as we see here in this forum, with the postprocessing that's pretty awesome), but I'd conjecture that this technology might make b&w shooting easier. I have no evidence for that particular hypothesis beyond it's own truthiness, though.

I mean, the picture of the lips is intriguing and all, but I don't see how it's any different than what you can get today. What I'd want to see is that the interesting aspects of having all pixels stacked on each other with a resulting greater preservation of real resolution, rather than bayer interpolated resolution. Basically, they need to have binning in the sd-14, or it's just another camera.
    edited September 2, 2006
    There is a wonderful description of CCD, CMOS and Foveon here:

"Seeking clarity: Image sensors peer into a blurry future"
    http://www.edn.com/article/CA450596.html
    ziggy53
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It's a marketing gimmick, in this case. But I tend to agree with you :D
    Yea... not really impressed Andy. Tell me more about the specs/workings of the body, and I'll listen. Guess I'm geeky this way.

JMPO...
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Hey Zig... what mount is on this body? Looks like Canon. Or is this a Sigma proprietary?
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 3, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Ian,

According to Foveon (http://www.foveon.com/ click on the "cameras with X3"), Polaroid and Hanvision use the technology.

While the concept of the Foveon is interesting, as is some of the Fuji technology, I think there is still a lot of life left in Bayer chip manufacturing, and I bet there are many wonderful advances that we should see in the next few years.

ziggy53

Neither of which offer anything of real interest.

I agree with you that there's a lot of life left in the current chips. Kinda like
    when everybody said "no way you'll get any more than 1200baud out of
    the telcos" :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited September 5, 2006
    Seymore wrote:
    Hey Zig... what mount is on this body? Looks like Canon. Or is this a Sigma proprietary?

Who knows? Sigma hasn't released any information yet about the SD14.

Both previous Sigma dSLRs (SD9, SD10) were Sigma SA Bayonet mount. That would be a safe bet for this model as well.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2006
    Polaroid's got one or two using Foveon imagers (www.polaroid-digital.com).

There are a couple of industrial cameras (one application is for machine vision) using Foveons that you can see on www.alt-vision.com.

Other than those and the Sigmas, no other camera manufacturers are listed in www.foveon.com yet.

ian408 wrote:
    the sensor?
    Steve-o
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited September 7, 2006
    Personally, I can't wait to see the specs on this one :D

I have always loved the Foveon "look" that SD9/SD10 shooters get. Not too crazy about no jpgs right out of the camera and the poor high ISO performance. But man do I love the film-like/3D-like look of Sigma images iloveyou.gif

I have heard that this one will have a 5mpxl or greater sensor mwink.gif At the price it should go for and equiped with a couple of EX lenses (I agree with Doc on their quality thumb.gif ) I would definitely entertain the idea of using it as mainly a landscape tool to supplement my 20D.

It might be Christmas in September....lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited September 29, 2006
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06092605sigmasd14.asp

Not too big an announcement. I'll be anxious to see the formal and user reviews.

JPG out of the camera and better software seem to be the biggest improvements, with a bit more resolution for either 1 size larger prints, more detailed prints or more cropping ability. Still a teeny-tiny frame buffer.

2640 x 1760 pixels native resolution (4.6MP) with 4608 x 3072 - Interpolated?

Interpolated = Marketing Hype!

I'm sorry, but it's just sad when companies use high gross pixel count, either real or interpolated, to sell cameras. It is the "quality" of the pixels that matters more than the count. At least the memory card manufacturers should be happy with these humungous files eating up storage space.

The next few years should be interesting for Sigma, and for Sigma camera users.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2006
    Sigma said it will be available 1st quarter 07.