Options

Wisconsin Wedding

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited August 31, 2006 in Weddings
Last weekend I went to a wedding in Hatley Wisconsin. Hatley is a small town in central Wisconsin and is basically farms. The wedding was huge. There were over 700 people there. They set up a tent and also cleared out a barn, it was all full. I had a great time with the two bands, lots of polkas and fireworks near the end. So here are a couple of my favorites from the wedding. Honest critique is most welcome because I had no idea what I was doing, people are not my forte. I really want to try to get better at event shooting like this so please be brutally honest.

91715263-L.jpg

91715529-L.jpg

91932551-L.jpg

I know this picture technically sucks but it was pitch black and I had a hard time focusing. It was a special moment for the bride and groom and I like it so I don't really care that it is soft and noisy.
91934725-L.jpg

91934838-L.jpg

91935751-L.jpg

If you're interested the rest of the gallery is here
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• Options
    ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    What? No KEGGERS?

How can you have a Polka in Wisconsin without keggers?

Brutally honest enough for you? beer.gif
    Steve-o
  • Options
    carisak727carisak727 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 31, 2006
    Selecive desat maybe
    I would try doing a selective desat of the fireworks pic. Leave the fireworks color, B&W for the rest. IMHO noisy + blurry=B&W conversion. Good shots. Were you the pro? It looks like some of the angles could be improved a bit...going to look at gallery now.

After looking at gallery I think you did a good job of capturing the ummm...emotions! :)

Some focus issues on some of the photos, and also a few that could benefit from some color adjustments. One suggestion...don't be afraid to get closer shots (sometimes better with a longer lens if you are going for a more candid photo).

I also think some of the ones in the gallery are better than the ones that you have posted here, especially of the couple dancing.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    What? No KEGGERS?

How can you have a Polka in Wisconsin without keggers?

Brutally honest enough for you? beer.gif
    Of course there were kegs, 26 of them to be exact plus 12 cases of whiskey!:sloshbeer.giffreaky
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    carisak727 wrote:
    I would try doing a selective desat of the fireworks pic. Leave the fireworks color, B&W for the rest. IMHO noisy + blurry=B&W conversion. Good shots. Were you the pro? It looks like some of the angles could be improved a bit...going to look at gallery now.

Some focus issues on some of the photos, and also a few that could benefit from some color adjustments. One suggestion...don't be afraid to get closer shots (sometimes better with a longer lens if you are going for a more candid photo).

I also think some of the ones in the gallery are better than the ones that you have posted here, especially of the couple dancing.
    Thank you for taking the time to look and comment. I was not the offical photographer, just a friend taking some candids. I had thought of making the fireworks shot B&W, I think I'll give it a go when I get home. I agree that some of the pictures I put up have some major focus and DOF issues, these are just for friends so I wasn't too worried about that in this case. I had trouble with the color on a lot of the shots because there were colored lights on the stage so I got some interesting lighting. I think after shooting this wedding I have a much better understanding of what I would do differently next time.
    carisak727 wrote:
    After looking at gallery I think you did a good job of capturing the ummm...emotions! :)
    I almost laughed out loud when I read this. Thank you, that is what I was gonig for.
    Nick
    nickwphoto