Dazed and Confused

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited September 2, 2006 in People
I’ve seen this dazed and confused man many times and in many places during this week. He has a peculiar mannerism of suddenly lifting his head with a daze to the sky, which draws attention of everyone around.
Dazed-and-Confused-IMG_5064.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=47c9cd3d94d4815dce549d72b6736de5

Comments

• flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    I've been looking at your pics for a little while now and i always enjoy them, but have not commented on them.. yet. They are, as this one, great street photography portraits. You captured his gaze on a good moment.

Technically, i like your B&W conversion technique too. What are you using?
    I myself really start to like Nikon Capture NX' "Black and White conversion" filter. It does not use a 3-channel approach. Instead, it allows you to set the 'hue' (a number between 0 and 360 degrees, where skin-tones are lightest on 60 degrees and get darker but more definition with higher values), brightness and contrast.

Question:
    You take photographs of homeless people quite a lot. How do you approach them and taking their picture?
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    Firstly let me start with the easy answer: for black and white I've used in this case PowerRetouche Toned Photo filter (this is a commercial product). I bought the suite so I use a lot of filters in the set.

Now, for the more complex question: Street shooting and homeless in particular. Although you will be told a different story by everyone my philosophy is simple: "I'll keep photographing them with or without permission because it bugs me that there is such status as homeless in modern world".

I know it has been discussed in detail that some of them choose to live like that and some are mentally ill and cannot live in what we consider the norm. I should add this is Australian reality and the welfare system provides safety net for anyone in need so there should not be any homeless.

Philosophy aside, it is a value judgement of character. Some I talk to and ask for permission to photograph. Usual response is "yes", or "yes but you should give me some money", which I do if asked but not too much - enough to buy lunch but not alcohol.

There is also the group that I consider interesting but unapproachable. Draw your own conclusions here but in my case it is just my perception of them. These are photographed with the long zoom.

I see many of these people often around Sydney before I take a first photograph of them. I observe what they do and how they behave.

In many cases I take the photo first and ask later as you cannot get the same expression once the person was for warned they will be photographed.

As to general street photography: The easiest people to photograph on the street are people who distribute pamphlets or are collecting money for charity. They are very straight forward to deal with, especially if as in my case you give some description of what they are doing in the story.

I have had people approach me and ask to be photographed simply because they saw me photograph someone else.

I also found it is easier to ask people who are in a group as they feel safer surrounded by their friends. On the other hand this is much harder to take good photos as they are often distracted by them.

There is one other technique: raise your lens and point at them, make sure they see you. Give them time to indicate no photo or to turn around. You will be surprised how many people will actually respond positively. This is a primitive mime like communications but for some people this works well.

Finally, I have seen many award winning photographs in books and newspapers. I am certain none of the photographers asked for permission or even told the person they are going to be photographed and published nation or in same cases world wide. Just pick up a copy of Pulitzer prize winning photographs and you will know what I mean.

The moral reservations or concerns are much higher on forums like this than amongst pro journalist photographers.
    I've been looking at your pics for a little while now and i always enjoy them, but have not commented on them.. yet. They are, as this one, great street photography portraits. You captured his gaze on a good moment.

Technically, i like your B&W conversion technique too. What are you using?
    I myself really start to like Nikon Capture NX' "Black and White conversion" filter. It does not use a 3-channel approach. Instead, it allows you to set the 'hue' (a number between 0 and 360 degrees, where skin-tones are lightest on 60 degrees and get darker but more definition with higher values), brightness and contrast.

Question:
    You take photographs of homeless people quite a lot. How do you approach them and taking their picture?
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 2, 2006
    I like this pic. It has all the grit and yet the eyes and face tell me somethng peaceful and serene. The white wall behind him feels a bit bright to me though.
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    Ouch - than I failed. Anything but serene or peaciful. This is one troubled person. Look how tense his hands are.

The walls on this building are covered with ceramic tiles and as result they reflect more light.
    truth wrote:
    I like this pic. It has all the grit and yet the eyes and face tell me somethng peaceful and serene. The white wall behind him feels a bit bright to me though.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 2, 2006
    Ouch - than I failed. Anything but serene or peaciful. This is one troubled person. Look how tense his hands are.

No no no!!!!! It's the contrast between his body, hair and clothes and the look in his eyes and face. There is something he sees that we don't. be it due to mental illness, genius, substance abuse or a combination therein he is viewing reality in a way only he knows. Compare it to this mans face:

84721759-L.jpg