Options

Ch 27 wxwax

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited December 5, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
A reprise of a scene I shot last weekend. The difference is that this time I'm putting a person in there. Whaddya think?

12237159-L.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    edited December 4, 2004
    I have a second one that also came close. I don't think either is quite how I'd like it, but they're in the ballpark.

12237101-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    I prefer the first one. I think just because of the lighting and sharpness of the character, but I like the strength of the shadow and the fact that its complete in the 2nd one. Probably no help at all ne_nau.gif
    BTW, I should have said, they are both excellent clap.gif
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2004
    Thanks gubbs. I thought I was going to like the second one better. I'm thinking the location of the man in the first one helps balance the composition somehow. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    Sid - both great shots! The light and shadows make them dramatic!

I like the first one more, don't know why.

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    Sid I like the first one too.. the light on the mans face and just something stronger about it.. great shot.clap.gif
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    Sid
    Nice I like the first one too

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    Great shots Sid... I did not see your last weeks, but I sure do look the shadows on the wall. The little door is a nice little accent.
    The first ones looks more right to me cause it has what I think is a better composition with the man to the right.
    A winner!
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2004
    Thanks guys, you're very kind. Anyone see anything they think should be fixed?
    Sid.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Thanks guys, you're very kind. Anyone see anything they think should be fixed?
    Can you bring out the texture of that wall any more?? curve it maybe .. just a small nit pick I'm always looking for nits.. I really love the shot tho sid.
    ps while your here can you just look at my thread in 101 resize challenge shot and give me a clue???clap.gifclap.gif

I whipped into my ps and curved it a tad which made it darker and lighter and added a bit more usm and I still loved it.. just a thought...
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    Well, I hate to stir the pot, and it is just my minor opinion, in other words, I don't feel strongly about it. I like the second one best. I like the contrast and the shadow of the person.

Maybe you could rehire the people and get them to go down the middle.:D

gingerthumb.gif
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Well, I hate to stir the pot, and it is just my minor opinion, in other words, I don't feel strongly about it. I like the second one best. I like the contrast and the shadow of the person.

Maybe you could rehire the people and get them to go down the middle.:D

gingerthumb.gif
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif It's amazing how many times I was accosted while I hung out on that street waitng for people to walk down individually. One guy pretended to call the cops because he was offended that I was steadying myself by leaning on a car's trunk (boot.)
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Can you bring out the texture of that wall any more?? curve it maybe .. just a small nit pick I'm always looking for nits.. I really love the shot tho sid.
    ps while your here can you just look at my thread in 101 resize challenge shot and give me a clue???clap.gifclap.gif

I whipped into my ps and curved it a tad which made it darker and lighter and added a bit more usm and I still loved it.. just a thought...
    Lemme find what you're talking about lynn. I'm about to go get my hairs cuts, so it may have to wait until theis PM.
    Sid.
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    Both nice shots, either will do.
  • Options
    mgoundmgound Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    Sid. Nice shots. I like #2. I like the fact his leather is draped over his shoulders. Looks more "Gangsta" 1drink.gif I also like the subject in the shadow rather than the light. IMO
    Land on your right foot. Don't forget it!
  • Options
    Ben:::DBen:::D Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    I don't know...I think I'm with Ginger on this one. I think the second one is much stronger. The subject isn't as clearly lit, yes, but in terms of "mood" and "feeling", I think the second one conveys the attitude of that setting much more vividly. The first guy looks just like...well, just like a guy. The second person looks a little more rough, which I think works well for the shot.

I'm curious...what is to the right?? I wonder if it might make for a strong composition to shoot it horizontally with the subject and the lights on the left, and let the right side just fade off into the darkness. Might be sort-of dramatic??? Just a thought.

Nice work!!
  • Options
    BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    I don't know what one I like better, but they are both awesome shots.
    Challenge 26 Winner "In Your House" :deal
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    I definately like the first one also. The subject just makes more of a statement somehow. Very nice shots.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2004
    Ben:::D wrote:
    I don't know...I think I'm with Ginger on this one. I think the second one is much stronger. The subject isn't as clearly lit, yes, but in terms of "mood" and "feeling", I think the second one conveys the attitude of that setting much more vividly. The first guy looks just like...well, just like a guy. The second person looks a little more rough, which I think works well for the shot.

I'm curious...what is to the right?? I wonder if it might make for a strong composition to shoot it horizontally with the subject and the lights on the left, and let the right side just fade off into the darkness. Might be sort-of dramatic??? Just a thought.

Nice work!!

Thanks for the thought. To the right you'd end up seeing a cross street and some two story houses. I do have some shots framed that way, but I think the cross street takes away from the menace of the pools of light spilling into a dark alleyway.
    Sid.
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    I definitely like the second shot alot better. the subject just seems to fit closer to the wall and he looks like is actually belongs in the shadows. I would use this one if I was you, but that is just my opinion. Both are great shots though.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com