Question about policy

StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
edited September 1, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Since I am a Smugmug subscriber and also a supporter. I like to spread the word about Smugmug. When I see comments like this, I want to fire back a response.

"Pbase and Smugmug are not backup servcies. If you read the fine print, they could terminate your account at any time for any reason and without notice. Here, for example is Smugmug's statement:

"Smugmug may terminate your account or your access to and use of the Services, with or without cause at any time and effective immediately, at Smugmug's sole discretion, for any reason, including but not limited to your failure to conform with these Terms."

Notice, the with or without cause. Once typical reason that they cancel someone is actually trying to use "unlimited" space or bandwidth. I would be very worried about a plan that does not guarantee access to my photo backups if they decide to terminate the account."

My questions are this:

If you were indeed in violation of the TOS, how exactly is this handled? Just poof deleted? Given fair warning to vacate or be deleted?

How is bandwidth and HD space monitored. Are there warnings for excessive use? or consequences?

I believe I know the answers to these questions, but I want to fire back correct (direct from the horses mouth so to say) answers.
Dana
** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
no birds sang there except those that sang best.
~Henry Van Dyke

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006

If you were indeed in violation of the TOS, how exactly is this handled? Just poof deleted? Given fair warning to vacate or be deleted?
    Normally, you are given warning, and time, to remove your photos. I can only think of one case where we torched immediately, and that was due to improper photographs of minors.
    How is bandwidth and HD space monitored. Are there warnings for excessive use? or consequences?
    Storage is UNLIMITED and we mean that. You have a count of your storage in your control panel.

Bandwidth is generous for standard and power customers, and unlimited for pros (and we mean it). But, if a pro account holder abuses this bandwidth, for say, a zillion ebay auctions, well then, we'll have something to say about that and we'll work with him to "not do that anymore." Standard and power customers that exceed bandwidth for "a gallery gone wild" always get a free reset if they ask us. If they continue to go over the limits (very rare) then we'll encourage them to upgrade.
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    Thank you Andy!
    May I have your persimmon (Laughing.gif) to quote you?
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
    edited August 31, 2006
    Thank you Andy!
    May I have your persimmon (Laughing.gif) to quote you?
    nod.gif
    and thanks for taking the time to post this, it's great stuff :D
    edited August 31, 2006
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    Thanks again Andy.

I got email notification that Mike Lane had posted a response, but I guess he deleted it. Anyway Mike there is nothing on my site that would cause concern except
    92052355-L-1.jpg

My questions here were in repsonse to someone speaking of Smugmug terms of service in rather harsh tones. I wanted a response from SM showing otherwise to post back. Got it, posted it. I'm happy.
    Dana
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    If you can find it, there's a thread around here that was active when I was deciding on where to go with a guy wanting to send a ginormous amount of data, like 3TB IIRC. The part that really got my attention was that onethumb's main response was "wait 'till we get you a server to handle that" Made up my mind real quick there. thumb.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    If you can find it, there's a thread around here that was active when I was deciding on where to go with a guy wanting to send a ginormous amount of data, like 3TB IIRC. The part that really got my attention was that onethumb's main response was "wait 'till we get you a server to handle that" Made up my mind real quick there. thumb.gif
    I think it's this one http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=24847