Options

What do you Hope Smugmug is working on???

2»

Comments

• Options
    pwcpwc Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Good points, though that last I think Analytics can handle. I'm playing with their goals setups & grabbed the shopping cart URLS when ordering myself a couple of prints. We'll see if I understand their setup right....

Chris, did you get this working???
  • Options
    DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    #26 for me. Photobooks.

I know Andy (if I remember correctly) indicated that this was in the works but I would really like to see that option sooner rather than later.

I've tried Momento - excellent quality - pricey - only ships to Australian addies.

I've tried Blurb - book dimensions too small (8x10) I would like to see a little larger, and I would like to see Blurbs pages thicker - they feel cheap/thin to me. But Blurb you can go up to 440 pages! And the prices are really excellent.

And if SM goes with selling books, I would hate to see just templates like the others. Momento, for example, uses templates but also has a totally free hand option too ( for placing text boxes, and photos on the page - on the page and your choice of photo size totally scalable).

But that might just be me (and a few others)
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 24, 2007
    I can't quite limit it to two, but here goes...
    dmc wrote:
    What do you Hope they are working on... come on, join in, this could be fun! Pick your top 2.
    1. Coupons - and other approaches to special pricing, perhaps; notably "first/rest" pricing -- the ability to sell a given 8x10 of a single image for $12 for the first print, and $8 for additional prints.
    2. Packages
    3. Virtual Galleries *with* pricing and customization
    4. Better Uploader - I need something where I can see progress in an upload queue, so when uploads break, I know where to restart if it doesn't. The Java uploader doesn't do this, and it seems to be difficult to get S*E to do it too.
    5. Paypal Integration - on both buy and sell sides
    6. Owner access originals when logged in.
    7. Add calendars, cards, photobooks, multi-image items, panorama prints
    8. Improve the GUI for arranging galleries - drag and drop
    9. set default gallery style (starting gallery style, but leave viewer contolled ON)
    If you don't see your favorite request listed here, make sure it is somewhere in the Feature request thread!
    Alas, that was a numbered list, so deleting the things I personally didn't much care about broke the numbering.

And of course, my personal number one hobby horse right now: auto-resequence of galleries based on the filenames in a Picasa XML export file.

Hey; you asked. :-)

Oh yeah: and uploading via scp/ssh.
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    If I have to pick two then I'd selet:

1. Coupons
    26. Add calendars, cards, photobooks, multi-image items, panorama prints
  • Options
    RandoRando Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    - Keywords in private and password protected galleries
    - opt out of google search
    - virtual galleries
    - wysiwyg html customizations (like google pages or iWeb)
    - switching to WHCC for pro accounts
  • Options
    pwcpwc Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    - matted prints would be cool but I understand the complexity in doing this and still make a profit
    - coupons
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Virtual Galleries and Keywords
    Thanks dmc for starting this thread...and hitting on some very familiar, much discussed, topics.

Here' my TOP request:
    1. Virtual Galleries (with a twist). Who-ever initially coined the term "virtual" gallieries...was it you , dmc?...is to be "thanked" for giving the request an identity. I'm not certain it's exactly what I envision, but it's a close relative. If what I'll describe below is a "vitual" gallery, then it's what I'd like to see...if not, then I guess I need to come up with a more descriptive name for it and continue to lobby for it (hopefully with the support of other like-minded smuggers).

I want to:
    A.) run a keyword search within my OWN galleries (photos of "mom"), then
    B.) select a few of the images captured by the keyword search (the best photos of "mom", for example...and they coud be from many different galleries from within my site), then
    C.) create a new gallery...I think I'd prefer a real gallery (as opposed to a "virtual" one), by simultaneously copying/duplicating the selected images and adding them to the new gallery.

It still seems like such a "no brainer" to me (as a desireable capability/feature, not that it's necessarily a cinch to develop). Am I all alone?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 24, 2007
    You're not alone. I think it was me, actually, though perhaps not.

I want it mostly because it will mean that I don't have to upload Picasa pictures that are in multiple albums more than once.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    Another "Virtual Galleries" vote, then.
    imageinc wrote:
    You're not alone. I think it was me, actually, though perhaps not.

I want it mostly because it will mean that I don't have to upload Picasa pictures that are in multiple albums more than once.

clap.gif There are at least THREE of us then (dmc, imagineinc, papajay). To the "quiet majority" out there.....PILE ON, and let us hear from you! wings.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Lots of previous votes for virtual galleries
    papajay wrote:
    clap.gif There are at least THREE of us then (dmc, imagineinc, papajay). To the "quiet majority" out there.....PILE ON, and let us hear from you! wings.gif

Here are my previous votes for viritual gallleries, here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    My bump for virtual galleries +
    papajay wrote:
    1. Filenames in the shopping cart
    2. Virtual Galleries
    3. Coupons
    4. Packages
    5. Paypal Integration
    6. Add calendars, cards, photobooks, multi-image items, panorama prints
    7. set expiration for pricing, and/or password in a gallery
    8. Enable search in password protected galleries AFTER they've entered their password.
    9. Category, subcategory passwording
    Oh yeah... can you'll take care of my toothache too??? I hate dentists rolleyes1.gif
    rolleyes1.gif
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    "Virtual Galleries" Crusade!
    jfriend wrote:
    Here are my previous votes for viritual gallleries, here and here and here and here and here and here and here and here.

Thanks for digging back into the posting archives (to 2005), JFriend, to pull up these references. I've only been a smugger for a year, myself, but see you (and others*) have indeed been on this bandwagon for quite a while!

*AJ Weinstein, imagnineinc, digismile, ask, mario, dmc, and Cindy, I see (to name but a few).

I suspect Smugmug is (I hope) actually working on this (and that they're just not telling us they are so they can surprise us with the great news one of these days)...it's an obviously good feature request that just isn't going to go away until the development guys at smugmug actually make it happen.
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    #1 coupons
    #2 packages
    #11 branding the cart so it doesn't say smuggy, etc.
  • Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    1. Search in private and or passworded galleries
    2. Category passwords
    3. Multiple guest username/passwords (not even close to essential though - just nice. The first two are really needed).

I would love to put our whole archive up here to solve lots of sharing problems but there are for example a group of pictures of children that we would like available but there is no good reason for making available to the world (but we would still like to find by keyword). It would even be fine if the search only worked when people were logged in and then worked for the whole site rather than just the particular passworded gallery.

Loving the rest of smugmug though :D

Rich
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    jfriend wrote:

lol3.gif what is this, Chigago in the 20's?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Vote early and often
    Andy wrote:
    lol3.gif what is this, Chicago in the 20's?
    Vote early and often mwink.gif.

In all seriousness, I just wanted to remind folks that we've been requesting this type of feature for nearly two years (before the competition had it) and now some of the competition has what looks like a decent implementation. We haven't heard anything about whether this will actually be in the roadmap or not so we conclude that all we can do is to continue to remind you that we think it's important.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Vote early and often mwink.gif.

In all seriousness, I just wanted to remind folks that we've been requesting this type of feature for nearly two years (before the competition had it) and now some of the competition has what looks like a decent implementation. We haven't heard anything about whether this will actually be in the roadmap or not so we conclude that all we can do is to continue to remind you that we think it's important.
    I've got nothing more to add beyond our last postings (can't find them right now) but they are along the lines of "we'd like to have this and it's on the list.." but as usual, we have no public timeframe or anything like that. Thanks John!
  • Options
    heatherwhiteheatherwhite Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    dual passwords would be....
    <table id="post722002" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_722002"> <!-- icon and title -->
    <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message -->...great.
    ie, i have one gallery of wedding photos. the couple and their immediate family would log in with one password and be able to order prints at cost, because they paid up front for everything. and with the other password (same gallery), extended family and friends and guests from the wedding could order prints at a profit for me! that way i don't have to suck up space with 2 galleries with the same photos. wouldn't that rock?

(this is also posted as a new thread)

my website
    my smugmug

<!-- / message --> </td></tr></tbody></table>
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2008
    dual passwords..

Hi, we have a sticky features request thread, too, in this very forum thumb.gif

Thanks!
  • Options
    Craig RidleyCraig Ridley Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    I vote for a multi-currency shopping cart so prices can be displayed to users in their local currency and not just US$.
    My Site: http://www.craigridley.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/craigridleyoutdoorphotography

Want to save $5 on a smugmug account? Use this coupon code: WzG2eZLQPGrqI