Options

CH 27 Humungus

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited December 12, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Found a single small red LED (light emitting diode) at 2am. Amazing the intensity of their output.

12282325-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mgoundmgound Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    Very powerful!!
    Land on your right foot. Don't forget it!
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2004
    mgound wrote:
    Very powerful!!
    rolleyes1.gif Funny...i just looked at your entry & thought the same thing !
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    Excellent! Really nice shot, H. You wearing a thong? :yikes Since you don't want a shallow depth of field, and the hands are a bit soft, maybe shoot with a greater depth of field? Or would you have to hold still for too long? Is it too bright across the shoulders?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Excellent! Really nice shot, H. You wearing a thong? :yikes
    I wear surf shorts or nothing mate !

Take it from there..............
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2004
    Powerful indeed!!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Excellent! Really nice shot, H. You wearing a thong? :yikes Since you don't want a shallow depth of field, and the hands are a bit soft, maybe shoot with a greater depth of field? Or would you have to hold still for too long? Is it too bright across the shoulders?
    Tks Nir

Hey waxamillion..sorry it was 3 am when i read your reply ..off to work early.

Its probably a lot of wrong things mate. I have little idea about what i do with the camera. Some stuff turns out ok & some does not.

Re Depth of field..I did set the f stop up much higher but it aint easy holding that still for a camera in that faint light.

I dont know if you are aware of LED's but they are like a torch (flashlight)..very strong direct light. I suppose you could mask it with red cellophane but then the exposure woould run too long.

A certain woman whom lives in my flat walked past ..looked at it for a second & said " Wow...so when did you run into Shrek "

Make:OLYMPUS OPTICAL CO.,LTDModel: C5050Z Size: 1360x1747 Bytes: 366194 Aperture: f/1.8 ISO: 64 Focal Length: 8.2mm Exposure Time: 3.2s (320/100)JPEG Quality:normalFlash:16Exposure Program:Shutter priorityExposure Bias:0DigitalZoomRatio:0/100
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    "Wow...so when did you run into Shrek "
    :lol
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2004
    Ta mate...hope your happy...i just showed her & she spat her wine out across the room & its been 2 mins since she could draw breath from laughing. I will go & get her some tissues.
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Ta mate...hope your happy...i just showed her & she spat her wine out across the room & its been 2 mins since she could draw breath from laughing. I will go & get her some tissues.

I hope she is OK now. I am not sure weather you are talking about the little torches with big beam. I had no idea they could be strong enough to take a pic with.

Love the shot. Very creative thinking
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2004
    photocat wrote:
    I am not sure weather you are talking about the little torches with big beam. I had no idea they could be strong enough to take a pic with.
    This is what made all the light PC..just one tiny electrical device...its about 5mm (1/5 inch) in dia & maybe 8mm (1/3 inch) long. They use almost no power.

http://www.positiveoffset.com/red-mini-LED.htm
  • Options
    lambadlambad Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    wow......
  • Options
    BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    That's a very powerful shot. Good job.
    Challenge 26 Winner "In Your House" :deal
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    Very cool! The directional nature of the light coming from the point-source of the LED really helps define a very strong shadow. I'm impressed.
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2004
    Thanks guys..just wish i had some of mgound's fog.
  • Options
    mgoundmgound Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Land on your right foot. Don't forget it!
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    Wow, nice work!
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    hum
    fish wrote:
    :lol
    HUM next time you go and warm your bumm add more spf to our sun screen but the growth did clear up your hands rolleyes1.gif YOUR SHOT WAS GREAT
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    great shot!!!! clap.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Found a single small red LED (light emitting diode) at 2am. Amazing the intensity of their output.
    Very creative, and nicely done. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Sam
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2004
    Very Cool It makes me think of an album cover.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Very Cool It makes me think of an album cover.
    Ta all..

Shakes...i do play the doors everday @ 4.15 pm. If nothing else...the 3 japanese students in the unit below me will go home & be able to hold their own in any Karaoke bar in japan with LA Woman.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 8, 2004
    you look even scarier with a shaved head!

photo is cool. I agree with Waxy though, if there is anything you could do to sharpen it up a bit, I think it'd hit a bit harder.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited December 8, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    you look even scarier with a shaved head!

photo is cool. I agree with Waxy though, if there is anything you could do to sharpen it up a bit, I think it'd hit a bit harder.
    I started shaving it in '95 because a large company i was working for wanted me to move into a section where i had to deal directly with the public (which i didnt want to do). I shaved it the morning of the meeting & when i walked in...they told me it suited me & put me in that section anyway headscratch.gif .

I fooled with sharpening Doc but to be truthfull i sort of like it a bit fuzzy...i wanted that 11 000 volt acid ..2am look.

If you want ..please feel welcome to sharpen it & show me because when i do use the sharpen tool i get a lot of noise.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 8, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    I started shaving it in '95 because a large company i was working for wanted me to move into a section where i had to deal directly with the public (which i didnt want to do). I shaved it the morning of the meeting & when i walked in...they told me it suited me & put me in that section anyway headscratch.gif .

I fooled with sharpening Doc but to be truthfull i sort of like it a bit fuzzy...i wanted that 11 000 volt acid ..2am look.

If you want ..please feel welcome to sharpen it & show me because when i do use the sharpen tool i get a lot of noise.
    I think I was getting at the same as Waxy - not necessarily sharpness, but more focus. But you've already pointed out the difficulties of that.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2004
    Humungus wrote:

12282325-M.jpg
    Thats great especially they way the shadow is so well defined, even the ears!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2004
    winger wrote:
    Thats great especially they way the shadow is so well defined, even the ears!!!!
    I was going to PS the ears winger ..but thought...nup thats the shadow, leave it be. Funny thing is that i dont have big ears at all but the shadow says different lol3.gif

I think the camera focused on the floor in front of me thus the shadow was sharp & i got a bit fuzzy but i decided i liked it that way..sort of like an electrical frequency running over me...thats how i was feeling at the time. That & the fact that im not going to get that wasted & start photographing at 2am for at least another week mate !
  • Options
    muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Thanks guys..just wish i had some of mgound's fog.
    For that, you could maybe set up that LED in the shower?

Gary
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2004
    muddyknees wrote:
    For that, you could maybe set up that LED in the shower?

Gary
    Good idea...still i would have to wait til the dead of winter as we only get about a month of cold weather mornings here (well..cold as in low 50's f)

In summer here you turn the cold water on in the shower & wait til the water thats heated up in the pipes from the day to get out then get in it.