My First Wedding - Advice Please!

CTMCTM Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
edited September 8, 2006 in Technique
I will be shoting my first wedding this week-end and if anyone has any advice to offer, I would really appreciate it. The wedding I am doing is a friend of a friend and she knows I am not a WEDDING photographer, but obviously I want to do a great job in order to get more gigs.

I have a Canon 30D and 580EX flash.

My lenses are the 70-200 IS 2.8 and EF 28-135mm
f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

If anyone has any advice to offer me about what settings to use (please be specific), I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

CTM

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    This short a time before the wedding, the best advice I can think of to give would be to relax. You need an unstressed mind to see the shots. Like they say in the book Dune, "fear is the mind killer", and it's the mind that controls composition and timing. Also stay hydrated, dehydration is also a mind killer.

You are not a participant of the wedding, you are instead an observer. Keep the camera at the ready and poised to take a shot. It is mentally and physically draining being "on" for so long a time without relief, so when you get a break, use it, eat, drink, recharge mentally, even if it is only for a few scant minutes. Use it.

Be courteous, smile, follow the interactions and patterns of the people around you. Learn the patterns and then use them to your advantage. It's like knowing what is going to happen before it happens.

Don't experiment with the camera and equipment on the day of the wedding. Instead use it in the most reliable way you know how. Try to reduce risk of image loss and equipment loss. What you bring in, bring out. Take all you have learned up to this point and apply it to the best of your ability.

Get enough sleep.

Charge the batteries.

Have a good time :-)
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    I just did my first wedding this past weekend, I kept my canon 50mm 1.8 on my camera all night along with my flash. Bring plenty of batteries for your flash, I just kept relaxed and took pictures of all the fun moments and important ones as well. I mainly used the 50mm 1.8 lens cause the lighting was kind of low and that lens worked out well. I took pictures of the bride and groom getting ready before the wedding then from their it was and all day thing of taking pictures from the I do's to the dinner and party. Everything worked out to be perfect, still correcting some photos just about to get the photo album ready.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    Shay gave great advice. nod.gif

Just keep an eye out for emotions.....every bride loves pictures of laughter, tears, etc. And she probably spent a LOT of time and effort picking out items for the wedding (dress, shoes, jewelry, centerpieces, flowers, on and on) so try to get those as well. If you haven't yet, at least LOOK at a shot sheet to give you ideas of the general shots that people take.

I can't give advice about specific settings.....I use almost all of them during weddings, just depends on your conditions.

I'm sure you'll do great! thumb.gif Can't wait to see them!
  • steelephotography.comsteelephotography.com Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    One other thing...
    All of the advice thus far is good, one thing I learned from an excellent wedding shooter -- details...

Brides and mothers of brides spend a lot of time on the details of the wedding -- flowers, place settings, etc. Look for the small things in addition to the more typical shots. They are always a big hit...

DS
  • CTMCTM Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    Thank you everyone!

Another question...should I just go with the Auto Setting or use AV or TV? I know I will have to change the ISO at times b/c it will be dark in the Church.

Any other advice?
    edited September 1, 2006
    CTM wrote:
    Thank you everyone!

Another question...should I just go with the Auto Setting or use AV or TV? I know I will have to change the ISO at times b/c it will be dark in the Church.

Any other advice?

There is no right answer here, you just have to do what you know best. What mode are you most comfortable using? Whatever the answer is, do that. You don't have time to learn something new, just practice and reinforce what you already know up until the time of the wedding.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    CTM wrote:
    Thank you everyone!

Any other advice?
    Like Shay said, use what you know. Have you ever used AV or TV before? If not than I would suggest not using them now. Use settings that you have used before and are comfortable with. A big event is not a place to start trying new settings that you are not familiar with.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited September 1, 2006
    I have used TV AV, but I will take your advice and go with what I am comfortable with, which is not TV AV. THANKS!

CTM
  • PaulinoPaulino Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 3, 2006
    Same situation here...
    CTM wrote:
    I have used TV AV, but I will take your advice and go with what I am comfortable with, which is not TV AV. THANKS!

CTM

I will also be shooting my first wedding this weekend, but I will not be the official photographer on that event, the one that is getting married is a friend of mine and she asked me to shoot candid shots on their wedding day, photography is sort of my hobby and I wish to be a pro someday, I am still very young in the field, the only camera I own is a Canon Powershot A540, I was able to borrow an Olympus E-10 from my cousin and I have been practicing shooting with it for a week, I feel comfortable using the "P" mode and I refrain from using the "M", "A" and "S" mode due to lack of time to practice.
    I will surely follow all the advice given in this thread. My question is, because I am not the official photographer, I don't want to step on the shoe of the official photographer on that day, but I really want to get great shots, I am thinking of not using the flash as much as I could in order not to draw attention on anyone while taking my shots.
    Anymore advice you could give me will surely help.
    Thanks.
    edited September 3, 2006
    Paulino wrote:
    My question is, because I am not the official photographer, I don't want to step on the shoe of the official photographer on that day, but I really want to get great shots, I am thinking of not using the flash as much as I could in order not to draw attention on anyone while taking my shots.
    Thanks.

You could be of the most help to the bride and groom if you shoot where the pro is not shooting. Instead of a ton of duplicate shots, you could show the bride and groom fresh material by shooting what the pro is not shooting. A plus for both you and the pro is you won't be stepping on each others toes too ;-)
  • PaulinoPaulino Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 4, 2006
    You could be of the most help to the bride and groom if you shoot where the pro is not shooting. Instead of a ton of duplicate shots, you could show the bride and groom fresh material by shooting what the pro is not shooting. A plus for both you and the pro is you won't be stepping on each others toes too ;-)

Thanks for the advice, will it not be too much if I bring a tripod?
    edited September 4, 2006
    Paulino wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, will it not be too much if I bring a tripod?

That depends on where you set it up. Even as the pro photographer, I find few times I can do this during an indoor reception. There is usually no room to setup a tripod, and moving around with one is hard too.

I can setup at a ceremony much easier from the back if needed. You just need to keep the walk ways clear. Don't setup if you are going to be blocking.

But all-in-all, tripods are hard to work with for weddings.
    edited September 4, 2006
    Paulino wrote:
    photography is sort of my hobby and I wish to be a pro someday.
    Thanks.

Paulino,
    If you want to be a pro, go for it! I just signed up my own business. Although I have been taking photos for years and took photography classes in high school and college, there is always more to learn. Photogaphy is my "side job", but I love it and it brings out a whole new side in me....and some extra cash.
    I wish you all the luck with your photography..follow your heat and dreams:D . Good Luck!
    CTM
    edited September 4, 2006
    CTM wrote:
    I will be shoting my first wedding this week-end...

So how did it go?!?!
    edited September 4, 2006
    So how did it go?!?!

It went well. I had two weddings, Sat. & Sunday, and it helped that the brides were really easy going and not stressed. It was supposed to rain both days but the rain held off until the reception. It was tough to take photos in the church though b/c I was not allowed to use a flash. Other then that, I am really happy.

Thanks for asking!
  • Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2006
    CTM wrote:
    It was tough to take photos in the church though b/c I was not allowed to use a flash. Other then that, I am really happy.

Thanks for asking!

Was that because of the church request or is that a "general rule" for wedding photographers not to use the flash?
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Was that because of the church request or is that a "general rule" for wedding photographers not to use the flash?

Most churchs have that rule about no flash photography during the ceremony.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    bham wrote:
    Most churchs have that rule about no flash photography during the ceremony.

Sure, and whatever: I don't even care, I simply never use the flash inside the church. thumb.gif You know why? When being a simple guest, I always feel annoyed by all of those flashes so I don't want to be one of the annoyers :D
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?