Finding the Ultimate 24mm

MarkWelshMarkWelsh Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited September 3, 2006 in Cameras
Phase Two of the 24mm World Cup was just updated here:

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests

So far, the following have been tested on full frame Canon bodies:

Canon 24mm f2.8, Olympus 24mm f2.8, Sigma 24mm f2.8 (in Pentax K mount), Yashica ML 24mm f2.8, Pentax SMC-A 24mm f2.8, Sigma 12-24mm, Canon 16-35mm L, Nikon 24mm f2.8, Nikon 17-35mm L, Leica 21-35mm.

Only two of that group have made it through to the final. Can you guess which ones?!

The final heat (Group B) pits the following against each other, with results to come in a few weeks. The ultimate play off is scheduled for October.

Group B: Fast 24mm
Sigma 24mm f1.8 EX, Canon 24mm L, Nikon 24mm f2, Pentax FA 24mm f2

Anyone like to pick a winner?

Comments

• NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    Thanks for the nice work with the reviews. The sigma looks pretty dang good...and I don't have any sigmas! ;~) No guess here, need to read more....
    MarkWelsh wrote:
    Phase Two of the 24mm World Cup was just updated here:

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests

So far, the following have been tested on full frame Canon bodies:

Canon 24mm f2.8, Olympus 24mm f2.8, Sigma 24mm f2.8 (in Pentax K mount), Yashica ML 24mm f2.8, Pentax SMC-A 24mm f2.8, Sigma 12-24mm, Canon 16-35mm L, Nikon 24mm f2.8, Nikon 17-35mm L, Leica 21-35mm.

Only two of that group have made it through to the final. Can you guess which ones?!

The final heat (Group B) pits the following against each other, with results to come in a few weeks. The ultimate play off is scheduled for October.

Group B: Fast 24mm
    Sigma 24mm f1.8 EX, Canon 24mm L, Nikon 24mm f2, Pentax FA 24mm f2

• BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    MarkWelsh wrote:
    Canon 24mm L

OK...

Bod.
    thumb.gif
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    Sigma has a bad reputation for quality control. Lens to lens differences are said to be large. A MIT professor advised his "computational photography" class to order 4 sigma lenses, compare, and return 3. He had the test images to prove his point.
    If not now, when?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 3, 2006
    So, John:):

How did Canon and Nikon and Tamron compare in this Quality Consistency comparison??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    So, John:):

How did Canon and Nikon and Tamron compare in this Quality Consistency comparison??

Fredo singled out Sigma and didn't mention others. What he did say is that modern zooms are so much more complex than primes that the manufacturing tolerances are very close and there can be large differences copy to copy.
    If not now, when?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 3, 2006
    Interesting.

Thanks.

I seem to have been fortunate with lens quality.

I know of only one lens I have owned that I thought was very poor and that was a 28-200mm Tamron that I knew would be significantly less than stellar. It had bad chromatic aberration at the long end of the zoom.

My Canon lenses all seem very good or better. ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin