Does 20D store EXIF 2.1?

marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited September 1, 2006 in Cameras
When I shoot a RAW photo with a Canon 20D, is thre EXIF 2.1 metadata? I want to get one of those Sony GPS things, they say it works with any camera that attaches EXIF 2.1 metadata to it's jpegs. I don't care to tag the RAWs because I only keep JPGs, so let's say I take RAW photos with my 20D, convert them to JPEG using RawShooter Premium, is there EXIF 2.1 metadata on those photos?
Thanks,
Richard

Comments

• claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    AFAIK, yes. However since there's no GPS capability for the 20D, it doesn't deal with it.

You can always use something like Exiftool to add in those fields. Also remember that *all* editors & converters butcher the EXIF data--another reason to use Exiftool.
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    The 20D doesn't need to have GPS capability to use the Sony thing. The sony thing records Long/Lat and time every 15 seconds, then later, on your computer, synchs to your photos.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 1, 2006
    When I shoot a RAW photo with a Canon 20D, is thre EXIF 2.1 metadata? I want to get one of those Sony GPS things, they say it works with any camera that attaches EXIF 2.1 metadata to it's jpegs. I don't care to tag the RAWs because I only keep JPGs, so let's say I take RAW photos with my 20D, convert them to JPEG using RawShooter Premium, is there EXIF 2.1 metadata on those photos?
    Thanks,
    Richard
    According to Canon, the 20D stores EXIF 2.21 MetaData:

http://www.canonusa.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20040819_eos_20d.html

Do you have a link to the "Sony GPS things"?

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited September 1, 2006
    Well, I know I've seen it on the sony website, but this little review gives some more info. http://www.digitalworldtokyo.com/2006/08/dwt_tv_sonys_gpscs1_digicam_gps.php
    Watch the video that's sorta in the middle of the page (after the 2nd paragraph of text).
    I know Canon says 2.21, but that's for in-camera jpegs. I wonder what happens to RAWs?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited September 1, 2006
    How long do we have to wait for the GPS receiver to be incorporated in the camera body itself??

Why couldn't Canon or Nikon include this capability in the add-on external battery grip. That would not mean changing their camera bodies, but adding value to the external battery grip. Why not also add a wireless remote shutter release like Nikon has, and let us abandon a wired remote shutter release?

I would buy the battery grip for the GPS encoding of my images alone. Add a remote shutter release and its a no-brainer.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited September 1, 2006
    Doesn't Nikon have an add on GPS for one of their cameras? It's kinda bulky though.