Options

SOLD: Canon EOS 1D Mark II $2575

henrytdhenrytd Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited September 12, 2006 in House of Canon
[HTD: see post #14, for reduction in price to $2475]

For a complete description please see
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1dmkii/

After searching as best I could on the Flea Market’s posts, I believe the only other 1D mark II (not “n” and not “s”) was sold by OlgaJ in April, 2006 (apparently for $2750). My camera is in pristine condition, and has only about 2200 shutter actuations. Everything that came with the camera new is provided, including the box.

Paypal accepted and preferred. I’ll pay the PayPal fees, buyer to pay for shipping and insurance (actual cost). I’m located in a suburb of Philadelphia.

This is the best camera I’ve ever owned. Why am I selling? For my needs, the smaller size and lighter weight of a 5D will be a better choice. Since I purchased it in June of 2004, I’ve used the 1D mkii mostly where I needed very wide angle capability (with the 16-35 L 2.8), and/or its incredible speed of focusing and 8 fps motor drive. But I find I usually reach for my 10D or G6, both of which do a great job (I didn’t upgrade to the 20D because of it’s louder shutter).

While I’m new to this forum, I’ve been a serious photographer for many years. Some of my recent work is posted at www.skip-dechert.smugmug.com or at www.yale62.smugmug.com (I believe only the PCB gallery has pictures taken with the 1D mark ii).

As Ziggy53 said in April, 2006 about the 1D Mk II: “This is an amazing camera, from Canon's true professional line, rapid and accurate focus, 8 frames-per-second, water-sealed and machined case, ... the good stuff just goes on and on....Steves Digicams calls it, ‘... the most reliable and responsive professional digital SLR on the market. ‘ “

I believe the price I’ve put on this camera is fair, but I would welcome comments on that subject (or any aspect of this post, since I am new to this venue).

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    Since you are new to the forum, a reference would be good. Have you sold on e-bay or other forums, and if so what is your screen name there. Also, pictures of the actual camera would be good, to show it is in good condition.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2006
    Pictures and References
    gluwater wrote:
    Since you are new to the forum, a reference would be good. Have you sold on e-bay or other forums, and if so what is your screen name there. Also, pictures of the actual camera would be good, to show it is in good condition.
    I have bought a few things on Ebay, but never sold. My user name there is henrydech. One (of many) reasons I'm offering this camera here is that I haven't built up a record there, and it's my guess that, with reason, you can't get too far on Ebay without having started small selling, and then built a reputation sale by sale.

I have a fine reputation in the communities that I'm part of, but they aren't online communities. [Info about non-online communities, jobs, other connections in the original post has been deleted for reasons of privacy].

I'll try to think of additional ways to provide references that might be known in this community. It shouldn't take six degrees of separation - I'm betting there's a connection of one or two degrees. I am in Cleveland at the moment, babysitting a granddaughter while her parents are traveling on business. They both work for the Cleveland Museum of Art. I'll be back in Philadelphia on Tuesday September 5th, and will put together some pictures to post at that time.

Hope this works as a start!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    henrytd wrote:
    Hope this works as a start!
    I think it's FINE!

wave.gif welcome Henry and good luck on your sale.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2006
    Pictures of 1D now available
    I've posted pictures of this camera at http://skip-dechert.smugmug.com/gallery/1856971. The last three are taken by the camera.

I would love to have some feedback. :help

One correction: the number of shutter actuations appears to be just above 2200 (not 1200), which is very light use for a 1D.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    henrytd wrote:
    One correction: the number of shutter actuations appears to be just above 2200 (not 1200), which is very light use for a 1D.
    Absolutely that is light use for a 1-series.

I'm the guy who bought Olga's camera, moving up from a 20D. If anyone has considered a 1-series I'll tell you the differences are far greater than I would have anticipated. I've lifted the 20D only once since and I wanted to immediately put it down and offer it for sale. While I can't vouch for the seller I can vouch for the camera.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Sigh. Spouse said no.

Jamie
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2006
    Vouching for HenryTD
    mercphoto wrote:
    Absolutely that is light use for a 1-series.

I'm the guy who bought Olga's camera, moving up from a 20D. If anyone has considered a 1-series I'll tell you the differences are far greater than I would have anticipated. I've lifted the 20D only once since and I wanted to immediately put it down and offer it for sale. While I can't vouch for the seller I can vouch for the camera.
    I'm still looking around for someone known on this forum who CAN vouch for me. Perhaps some of you know Peter Dechert, my first cousin. Peter and I have shared our thoughts about photograhy on and off since the 50's. Peter has written on photography for years, and currently has a piece as guest author at http://camerabooks.com/custom.aspx?id=2 . You may remember his articles in Shutterfly, or his books on the Canon Rangefinder, the Contax, the Olympus Pen F, and Leica cameras. If you know him (or even if you don't), feel free to ask him about Skip Dechert!
  • Options
    jmathewjmathew Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I think it's FINE!

wave.gif welcome Henry and good luck on your sale.

Fine? Good Lord - all thats missing is a urine sample! Good luck Henry! :):
    Jefy Mathew
  • Options
    MSPhotographyMSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    Hi Henry, would you consider a Canon 20D with grip plus $cash$?

Thanks,
    Mike...
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2006
    jmathew wrote:
    Fine? Good Lord - all thats missing is a urine sample! Good luck Henry! :):
    rolleyes1.gif

Instead of a urine sample, I thought I'd offer a close-up of Ryan Howard hitting another home run, so I headed for the Phillies game tonight with the 1D and my 200 2.8, which is fine for the 11th row behind home plate, but, alas, it was a rainout!

But tonight I remembered I had some sports px taken with the 1D in July, so I added one here (I also added one taken with the G6) http://skip-dechert.smugmug.com/gallery/1856971
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2006
    Hi Henry, would you consider a Canon 20D with grip plus $cash$?

Thanks,
    PM being sent.
  • Options
    MSPhotographyMSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    henrytd wrote:
    PM being sent.

PM received and replied to...

Thanks Henry...
    Mike...
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2006
    Price down to $2475 for an immaculate EOS 1D mkII
    I'm reducing the price to $2475, which is more than $1000 less than the street price for a new EOS 1D Mark II N.

This camera is ideal for sports or fashion photography: at 8+ fps it apparently is the world's fastest digital slr. It is a great handling camera, and it's weather sealing makes it the go anywhere frame for winter or wet circumstances.

There has been lot's of interest, so I'll keep this offer here for a while longer before trying other venues. I think it's just a matter of finding someone who wants the unique features of the 1D, has the money, but doesn't want to shell out an additional $1000 for the newer version.

See earlier posts for where to get specs, info on low shutter actuations, or see sample pictures.

Regards,

Skip
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,798 moderator
    edited September 11, 2006
    PM sent.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    PM sent.

Go, Ziggy, Go!!! clap.gif
    Chris
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    PM sent

troy
  • Options
    Revised title: SOLD!
    I received multiple offers, and a sale has now been completed to a well-known member of this community. I'm very pleased with this forum, and I thank everyone who contacted me either by answers to the thread, or by PM. I'm glad I stuck with it! Now onward to the 5D (unless I get distracted by the 3D rumors in the meantime).

Skip