Options

Apple’s Aperture – Your opinion?

GouriGouri Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited September 2, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
Software designed for digital photo management as well as editing or primarily the former?

Will it work well on a MAC with the following specifics?
· 2GHz Intel Core Duo
· ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
· 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
· 250/500GB Serial ATA drive

Comments

• Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    Here is the compatibility list. If it's on here, it'll run fine.

I have it on my Powermac G5 dual 2ghz and it works just fine. I like it, but there is a lot more for me to learn about it.

90727349-O.jpg
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    I wish Apple had a "trial" version. I may like it, I may not, but I sure don't want to spend $300+ to find out...
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    fotodojofotodojo Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    I'm using it - both on a MacBook (non Pro) 2GHz Core Duo /w 2GB Ram and a 2.3GHz DP G5. It runs fairly well on either Mac (even though it warns about the screen rez on the MacBook)

Screen realestate is both Aperture's strength and weakness - you need oodles of it to work in Aperture effetively, in fact I have a dual monitor setup on the G5 and that is where the app shines. I also have the beta of Adobe's LightRoom which is tied effectively to Adobe Camera Raw and Bridge in many ways (it reads/writes .xmp files) - but it oesn't have the handy dual screen option. Think organising shots on one screen and previewing on the other.

Aperture is a resource hog (currently so it LightRoom) but once you get familiar with the shortcut keys (if you do get Aperture, DO play the trainig DVD included it's pretty handy).

Just about the only thing to consider is wether Aperture will read your Raw format. I have a friend with a Fuji S3 Pro and only Adobe will handle that fie format so he needs to either use Bridge and/or Lightroom.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited September 2, 2006
    You're better off with photoshop.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?