Digital cards

lambadlambad Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited December 5, 2004 in Technique
Hello,

Can anyone tell me the difference between, say, a "Ritz Big Print Digital CompactFlash 1.8 MG/sec card by Lexar" and a "PNY CompactFlash speed unknown"? My camera is a 5700 Nikon. Does the speed such as "1.8 MG/sec" or faster make any difference for me? Meaning, my camera does what it does no matter what the card speed??? Is there a card out there that is known for its quality and speed? Or speed alone regardless of quality? I'm not sure what kind/brand of card I should get to get the most bang for my camera. Thanks. For the sake of this question, let's forget about flash. Thanks.

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    lambad wrote:
    Hello,

Can anyone tell me the difference between, say, a "Ritz Big Print Digital CompactFlash 1.8 MG/sec card by Lexar" and a "PNY CompactFlash speed unknown"? My camera is a 5700 Nikon. Does the speed such as "1.8 MG/sec" or faster make any difference for me? Meaning, my camera does what it does no matter what the card speed??? Is there a card out there that is known for its quality and speed? Or speed alone regardless of quality? I'm not sure what kind/brand of card I should get to get the most bang for my camera. Thanks. For the sake of this question, let's forget about flash. Thanks.
    Some cameras have a maximum write speed that is slower than the capability of the card being used. In that case, having a fast card will be meaningless. However, most people upgrade their camera at certain intervals, and the newer cameras will surely have the ability to write faster. So my suggestion is to buy fast cards even if the current camera can not utilize the speed.

I have Sandisk Ultra II 1gb cards. On the 10D it did not make a difference, on the 20D the difference was amazing. When I stick in a slow card on the 20D it immediately looses the performance and feels just like a 10D.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • lambadlambad Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2004
    Thanks for your help, Shay. I'll keep that in mind for my next purchases.