Visited the Botanical Garden

Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited December 6, 2004 in Holy Macro
I took a little trip to the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden in Richmond, VA today. Ok, I know what you're thinking, "Isn't it winter? Why are you going to a garden in winter? You're nuts! :heh" Well, I ended up spending most of the time in and around their very cool conservatory. It was almost a great day for some IR (it would have been a great day if there were a few more wispy clouds). Here are a couple from the take:

12273024-L.jpg

12273044-L.jpg

You can view the rest here: http://philu.smugmug.com/gallery/308648

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    I like the black and white very much. Strong composition and stark, contrasty treatment, my favorite type.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    Yes, the B&W one is really lovely. Its a great shot, nice angle too.

Yvette
    :roflhappily snapping
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I like the black and white very much. Strong composition and stark, contrasty treatment, my favorite type.
    Thanks! I agree - B&W in general should be fairly contrastry. I find this even more true in IR shots and especially IR architecture shots. These just weren't working for me until I continued to crank up the contrast.
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2004
    Yes, the B&W one is really lovely. Its a great shot, nice angle too.

Yvette
    Thank you! The angle thing is something I'm working on - trying to find a different perspective that works for the particular subject. I have a tendency to line things up in a symmetrical way (the logic/mathematic side of me coming out) - very unoriginal and boring. I still consider myself a photography noobie when it comes to composition. I have a lot to learn but every now and then I get lucky.