re: Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited September 6, 2006 in Cameras
I'm beginning to keep my eyes out for this lens (for my Minolta Maxxum 5D), but have so far seen at least three different pictures of various models. I understand there is a Di version that is supposed to be better for digital, but if I can get a well-used-yet-great-condition older model off of e-bay, should I go for it? Are the differences between the models mostly cosmetic, or should I hold out for the latest and greatest? I'm hoping this question is somewhat generic and not Minolta specific...I'd love to hear anyone's opinion on this.

Thanks!

Elaine
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    Elaine wrote:
    I'm beginning to keep my eyes out for this lens (for my Minolta Maxxum 5D), but have so far seen at least three different pictures of various models. I understand there is a Di version that is supposed to be better for digital, but if I can get a well-used-yet-great-condition older model off of e-bay, should I go for it? Are the differences between the models mostly cosmetic, or should I hold out for the latest and greatest? I'm hoping this question is somewhat generic and not Minolta specific...I'd love to hear anyone's opinion on this.

Thanks!

Elaine

The SP DI is the latest version.
    SP=Super Performance
    DI=Digitaly Intergrated for the newer Digital Cameras.

I'd stick with the DI version as it's made for the shinny CCD sensor of the newer Digital camera's thus less if any CA and flare.

Me myself I love my Sigma 105mm EX DG f2.8 Macro which is another top rated lens for macro and portrait work.
    The one your looking at was gonna be my 2nd choice.thumb.gif

Since I got mine as new 2nd hand for $285 shipped and is highly rated so jumped on it.
    It's a $400+ piece of glass new!

Tamron has some super nice optics I used em years ago in my 35mm days.
    I might go Tamron when I get a Superzoom haven't made up my mind yet.headscratch.gif

Bottom line is go where your budget leads you!
    But make sure it's something you can live with.
    I know where your coming from it's a tough choice! rolleyes1.gif

Just my 2 cents if it's worth that. ne_nau.gif:D
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    The SP DI is the latest version.
    SP=Super Performance
    DI=Digitaly Intergrated for the newer Digital Cameras.

I'd stick with the DI version as it's made for the shinny CCD sensor of the newer Digital camera's thus less if any CA and flare.

Me myself I love my Sigma 105mm EX DG f2.8 Macro which is another top rated lens for macro and portrait work.
    The one your looking at was gonna be my 2nd choice.thumb.gif

Since I got mine as new 2nd hand for $285 shipped and is highly rated so jumped on it.
    It's a $400+ piece of glass new!

Tamron has some super nice optics I used em years ago in my 35mm days.
    I might go Tamron when I get a Superzoom haven't made up my mind yet.headscratch.gif

Bottom line is go where your budget leads you!
    But make sure it's something you can live with.
    I know where your coming from it's a tough choice! rolleyes1.gif

Just my 2 cents if it's worth that. ne_nau.gif:D

Thanks for your 2 cents! I think I'll keep looking. Maybe I'll investigate the Sigma as well.

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • howardhoward Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Here in HK it sells new for about U$310 http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/index.php?cPath=1_21&sort=5a&filter_id=33&page=2
    so plus shipping it may not be much more than used? FWIW I use the older version with a Canon mount and find it excellent. Howard
    Elaine wrote:
    Thanks for your 2 cents! I think I'll keep looking. Maybe I'll investigate the Sigma as well.

Elaine
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    the tamron you are talking about has different optics than the prior non Di model. The Di version has excellent optics. Shop around, with a rebate, they can be had for a great price.