First attemp,,,,,,,

DilemmaDilemma Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited September 3, 2006 in People
Phillip01.jpgphillip02.jpgThis is it folks. You are viewing my absolute FIRST attempt at shooting people. A friend of mine asked me to take her sons senior portraits for her. I argued, ran away, told her I was ill, that my shutter button was injured, and any other malady you can conjer up. I ended up doing it anyway.

Here are three of them. More examples to follow.

Any tips? Sell the equipment? Stick to dogs and landscapes???
phillip03.jpg

Comments

• OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    All of these are technically good. Composition wise, I think they could use some work. The cropping is off - you could have been closer, captured more of the subject, used vertical orientation vs. horizontal. You had a handsome subject to work with which made your job easy.. now do him justice by not cutting off body parts!

Owen
  • DilemmaDilemma Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    More specifics please. This is what I need,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
  • DilemmaDilemma Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    phillip04.jpgphillip06.jpg
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 3, 2006
    you couldn't do better than start with owen's advice-

he does know how to do it-

like the color pic just above-

you can't cut off the hands like that-

nice photos-

may I suggest you stack them when posting instead of side-by-side-

I don't know about anybody else but I want to save as much energy as possible for working photoshop-

glad you're here on the forum-

edit- well, it looks like I'm late-

glad anyway-
  • LamarzLamarz Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 3, 2006
    Timely Post
    What a timely post. I've been asked by my boyz to take their yearbook photos. Class of 2007 & 2010. So like a golfer goes to school when another golfer, who is in a similar spot, putts first, I'm going to school with your thread. Thanks.

I'm presuming these are un-cropped as posted. My study of portraits tells me, a couple things first, subject = the person, is in focus, background blurred. Best, they say, if in camera DOF is used, but I do it in PP. The other first thing is to sharpen 1 eyes 2 teeth 3 nose, lips, maybe brows, a little lesser.

Contrast needs more between white and black. Eyes should very sharp, vibrant with color and the whites should not be gray. Play with the black point. Trees, bark, leaves should be blurred. Guassian or lens blur filter in CS2 can do that. Play with elipitical crops with a feather too.

And the mother of my boyz scolded me for chopping off the top of her baby! Oldest boy; when he was 2-3 and I thought I was being artsy. grin Mothers like to still see their babies complete. If it's a head portrait, include all (ok to fix zits), if body, include all. Mothers write the checks too.

You have taken some really good pics, easy to make into photos. Test print them to confirm what they will look like if your friend is going to print them from your digital file, they don't look quiet right with the skin on my monitor, but that might be just me.

Take lots of pics, crop later, that's my game plan.

Thanks again,
    Lamar